Big Power Vxt Project

• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#3881 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

You must be past leptons and into warp drive now Nev.  

I have to admit when the RS4 was lining up for another pop, I flicked the power switch on (to get the extra 150 mid range HP and 430 ft/lb of torque) - that really is quite frantic and made sure he realised that Vauxhall was boss. ;)   If I ever go back to the mappers, I am tempted to get the last 5 or so PSI mapped into the ECU, just so that Lee and Haggie don't embarrass me with their mental new supercharged engines. B)

Won't be Lee and Luke you have to worry about embarrassing you Nev :lol:

I can't wait to see your beast shoot up the road mate, I think I will need a sedative before I could be perswaded to get in the passenger seat!

From what Alex was telling me it will be in another league to Nipper.

Edited by Nev, 22 May 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#3882 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:35 PM

You must be past leptons and into warp drive now Nev.  

I have to admit when the RS4 was lining up for another pop, I flicked the power switch on (to get the extra 150 mid range HP and 430 ft/lb of torque) - that really is quite frantic and made sure he realised that Vauxhall was boss. ;)   If I ever go back to the mappers, I am tempted to get the last 5 or so PSI mapped into the ECU, just so that Lee and Haggie don't embarrass me with their mental new supercharged engines. B)  

Won't be Lee and Luke you have to worry about embarrassing you Nev :lol:  

I can't wait to see your beast shoot up the road mate, I think I will need a sedative before I could be perswaded to get in the passenger seat!   From what Alex was telling me it will be in another league to Nipper.

Your not the only one :lol: will take a while yet but should be good fun. Planning on having a 450ish low map and somewhere in the region of 650-700 in high. But will see. Going to run the engine as a 2.8 to begin with then stroke it out to 3.2 so shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just have to hope I can fit 18x11 in the rear :lol:

#3883 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Cor, lovely morning for a tootle down my local lanes with the roof off. Sunny and warm.

#3884 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:40 PM

Hay Nev. What are you currently running, a dump to atmosphere baileys type valve or do you have some sort of recirculating valve. Any advise on makes and specs. Cheers.

#3885 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

Hay Nev. What are you currently running, a dump to atmosphere baileys type valve or do you have some sort of recirculating valve. Any advise on makes and specs. Cheers.

I have a Forge 1.25" one, but a Baileys or other would be fine. Adjustable springs can be important to get the trigger point correct.

I happen to recirc my air into the inlet tract to reduce noise (though there is no technical reason for me to do so).

Edited by Nev, 09 June 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#3886 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

Depends on setup, MAF will have calculated that air in the system and losing it can result in running rich when changing gear. Also added bonus of pumping air back back into the turbo is helping in response and poss even a few ponies I much prefer the recirc setup but a lot feel the noise mitigates the small benefits or loses 😊 DG

#3887 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

Depends on setup, MAF will have calculated that air in the system and losing it can result in running rich when changing gear. Also added bonus of pumping air back back into the turbo is helping in response and poss even a few ponies I much prefer the recirc setup but a lot feel the noise mitigates the small benefits or loses 😊 DG

Hi Duncan - can you explain a bit more your second sentence

#3888 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

Cheers guys. I won't have a maf by the time I do this so not sure whether to go open or recirculate. Will look at pluming space when I get that far. Long long way off.

#3889 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hi Duncan - can you explain a bit more your second sentence
Just the opposite of the benefits of using a recirc. On am ecu with maf setup (most oem ecu and option on standalone) has calculated the air consumed does not know if you vent to the outside world so will add the fuel but not have the air to give mix expected A lot of people like the noise a dump valve makes and not bothered of any losses in running rich during gear change and benefits had at dumping the compressed air direct the the direction of turbo intake You want to take the air as near as Tb as possible and then as close to turbo intake where possible DG

#3890 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

Phew, petrol is getting expensive again :(

After 1500 miles driving my Focus, I got in Nipper tonight. God the clutch is heavy & the steering is twitchy. Still great fun doing an extra 20 miles just to fill up the tank for a weekend trip :)

Edited by Nev, 16 June 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#3891 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

Went away camping and climbing/coasteering in Nipper on the south coast at the weekend. Too hot for an open top car and too much traffic (even at 7 AM) to make it worth while.

On the way back the front of the car started clunking a bit, notably over bumps. God knows what it is, my best guess without looking is steering rack or ARB joints. I'm waiting for the temps to fall below 30 degrees before I stick my head into the garage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Nev, 19 June 2017 - 02:03 PM.

#3892 Mushter

Mushter

• Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Eh, Urm.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

Nice pictures Nev. Portland I'm guessing ?

#3893 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

Nice pictures Nev. Portland I'm guessing ?

Close, Winspit quarry.  

#3894 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Looks lovely

#3895 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

I feel like shouting "Don't jump"

#3896 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

Woohoo, static tested the exhaust at 99 to 101 dB at Castle Coombe today.

#3897 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:41 AM

get your name on the national reserve list nev, mine also comes in at 99 static 

#3898 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

Prefect :) No more excuses! Cant wait to see it on a track! Will be epic!

#3899 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

That's quieter than mine Nev. Will be interesting to hear them side by side soon.

#3900 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Well done Nev :) Will be nice to see you at Castle Combe next year :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users