• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#3901 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

All the hard work has paid off by the sounds of it [pun intended!]. Well done.

#3902 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

After a check of the O/S/F suspension it's pretty clear the new noise is a joint that is suffering in the heat. I can't reproduce the sound when the car is cold, it only seems to manifest itself when hot (over the last week). All the important bits on the OSF are tight and good, so I'm happy the car is safe to drive.

I guess the most likely part needing a bit of lube is the front ARB. Pain to do though.

Edited by Nev, 21 June 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#3903 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

MOT, Taxed, Insured. The best part of £1000, so I better use it a bit more.

Next thing to do is strap on Hairy's wheels that he kindly lent me and try them out with the narrower tyres on the front.

Edited by Nev, 28 June 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#3904 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Next thing to do is strap on Hairy's wheels that he kindly lent me and try them out with the narrower tyres on the front.

Why the tire size experimenting

#3905 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:27 AM

Why the tire size experimenting

Cut and pasted from my other thread:

I currently have 18" x 245mm x 35% profile and I experience the following:

Negative:

1. The camber sensitivity is worrying on irregular angled surfaces (eg crossing the "hump" in the middle of a road). ie steering wheel pulls a lot.

2. The outside edges of the tyres barely get worn (with just 0.5 degree of neg camber), so the extra width is not "being used".

3. The front tyre temps could be higher (for more grip especially in winter), so decreasing the footprint might help this.

4. Having a higher profile tyre (say 45%) on the front might allow more sidewall flex, and hence more grip.

5. Very tight corners (eg mini + small roundabouts) lead to understeer, might be due to the difference in width of outside/inside edges (ie scrub radius issue).

6. Heavy and hence less nimble, though this is only an issue on really tight corners.

7. The extra "poke" of the wheel (ET4) means the centreline of the tyre is further away from the centreline of the hub. This will have a couple of effects I think.

8. One of my front wheels is bent, so I would like to replace it, so this is the time to chose if I change wheel size down to 17".  

Positive:

1. Awesome grip on flattish surfaces.

2. Awesome high speed grip, no understeer at all.

Perversely enough the positives would suit pure track driving I think, but for road driving I believe the negatives probably outweigh the positives, hence why I'd like to experiment a bit more with narrower front tyres.

#3906 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

Had a 30 mile test drive with the 17" wheels (with 225mm x 45% R888 tyres). In the end I spaced them out from the hub with large washers!

It's a bit early to say for sure, but overall the steering change was much as I expected. Ie a little bit more nimble, more camber/ripple tollerant, less steering wheel feedback (which is a good thing). It did feel rather understeery on a couple of small round-abouts, but overall once going over 40 MPH I think they induced more confidence as it felt less like the steering was going to pull me off my intended line.

On getting out of the car I gave the tyres a hand temp test, and the fronts were still bit cooler than the rears.

At one point I flung the steering so violently the fronts "squawked" with understeer, first time I remember that ever happening in the last 5 years or so.

I'll probably go out again tonight for another little run and hopefully there will be a bit less traffic.

Edited by Nev, 06 July 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#3907 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

give it a run out to pembrey nev on saturday, and bring your driving license get it on track i would love to see it on track, i know its not really your thing but it cant hurt to have a little go 

#3908 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:56 AM

After the success of the test fitting 225mm x 45% x 17" tyres on the front of Nipper, I am looking for a second hand pair of 17" TD Pro Race 1.2 wheels in silver. These are commonly fitted on the rear of VX220s and are 7.5" width.

Please could you let me know if you have a pair for sale.

Thanks.

Edited by Nev, 15 July 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#3909 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

Nev i could have  set up for grabs soon, there not in great condition but perfectly straight,  im after a set of 8j or 8.5 j rear 17" unless i decide to go 15" all round 

lol 

i think i am going to have a busy winter 

#3910 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

i will probabably end up with a set of 17"/16" and a full set of 15"s

#3911 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

Nev i could have  set up for grabs soon, there not in great condition but perfectly straight,  im after a set of 8j or 8.5 j rear 17" unless i decide to go 15" all round 

lol 

Thanks Chris, could you let me know when they are free. Just in case it's not clear, I only need 2 wheels (ie what people normally put on the rears of their car).

Do you know what ET yours are please?

Can you borrow a set of 15" wheels from someone just to see what they are like? You could try posting on a MX5 site, as they commonly use them. God knows what the max width rubber you can put on them is though? Barely enough for your torque I'd imagine, having watched your vids your rear wheels seem to spin up a good deal more than mine.

Edited by Nev, 15 July 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#3912 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

i think there ET 35 (they are what ever the standard vx220 fitment are ) i will check the marks on wheels later 

#3913 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

7.5*17 et36 That's what most places seem to sell as TD rear fitment. Hth Personally I'm looking at 8*17 et32 so I can try 235 rear. Just need to check clearances.

#3914 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

7.5*17 et36 That's what most places seem to sell as TD rear fitment. Hth Personally I'm looking at 8*17 et32 so I can try 235 rear. Just need to check clearances.

I have run 235 on my 7.5 J wheels RSRs federals without issues but the R888Rs need the wider rim to support the tire

#3915 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

lol 

Thanks Chris, could you let me know when they are free. Just in case it's not clear, I only need 2 wheels (ie what people normally put on the rears of their car).

Do you know what ET yours are please?

Can you borrow a set of 15" wheels from someone just to see what they are like? You could try posting on a MX5 site, as they commonly use them. God knows what the max width rubber you can put on them is though? Barely enough for your torque I'd imagine, having watched your vids your rear wheels seem to spin up a good deal more than mine.

You can get a 235 toyo r888r tire in 15"  which im hoping is enough along with a 205 on the front also in 15" at the moment i am not sure if i should go for a 17" 8j/8.5j rear with 17"235 or go 15"235 the advantage of going 17" i could possibly end up with a 255 tire 

#3916 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Why would you want 15"

#3917 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:45 AM

Why would you want 15"

Even more acceleration is his goal I think, but due to the increased torque (by virtue of reduced circumference) I fear he will spin up the rears even more.  

Edited by Nev, 15 July 2017 - 10:47 AM.

#3918 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

That will make first about as useful as a chocolate fire guard

#3919 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

That will make first about as useful as a chocolate fire guard

Nobody still uses first gear do they?! :D

#3920 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

• 13,727 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

i will be going from a 225 tire to a 235 tire by going to 15" wheels plus the added advantage of reducing the overall final reduction this is because the standard na box is quite long, 

also ive been doing some sprints so in theory the tire should heat up quicker being 15" rather than 17" 

there is also the added advantage of the car sitting lower 

ATM its very rare i get out of 4th gear on track 

Edited by CHILL Gone DUTCH, 15 July 2017 - 10:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users