Big Power Vxt Project

• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#3941 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

VHT silver spray can 

#3942 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

Bollocking hell, when I took the car out this morning I discovered that I'd previously reversed the car into the shelves at the back of the garage and the tailpipes were bent sideways. Had a quick look and some welds have burst and the whole thing will need to come out. Grrr, very sloppy of me. :(

Edited by Nev, 20 August 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#3943 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, well anything mechanical.
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

Bollocking hell, when I took the car out this morning I discovered that I'd previously reversed the car into the shelves at the back of the garage and the tailpipes were bent sideways. Had a quick look and some welds have burst and the whole thing will need to come out. Grrr, very sloppy of me. :(      

Get some parking sensors fitted will never happen again ;)

#3944 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

:(

#3945 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Get some parking sensors fitted will never happen again ;)

I think the gaps on the shelves would mess it up, I managed to push the tail pipe onto a vertical steel bracket (which now has a dent), a couple of inches either side would have been fine and the bumper would have cushioned/taken the nudge.

#3946 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Screw or glue some small wooded blocks to the floor to act as a back stop on the tires.

Hope it isn't too bad mate.

#3947 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

Bu99er

#3948 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

I think the gaps on the shelves would mess it up

Nah they are pretty awesome these days, mine pick up curbs, long grass and my trailer hitch.

Edited by SteveA, 22 August 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#3949 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

:yeahthat: I did have them on loti, people laughed.. but when you compared to the vx's parked in the middle of the road I had the last laugh :lol:

Edited by The Batman, 22 August 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#3950 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Had a burst of enthusiasm and took the silencer out and fixed it. I was a bit surprised to see that my welds were fine, it was the 1.5mm sheet steel that had cracked and ripped.

Posted Image

Anyway I welded it up and put it back on the car in 3 hours. I've started the car up, but something (a baffle maybe) in the box is rattling like fcuk. Oh well, at least it's drivable again which is the main thing, though people behind will likely think the vibration is something wrong with their car (I've had worried VX'ers waiting behind me at junctions thinking their car was making strange noises in the past!).

Edited by Nev, 22 August 2017 - 11:39 AM.

#3951 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

Those welds are... interesting. What are you using? Is the exhaust supported at all in that part? Might be worth tacking a support and putting a mount on the subfrane to hold it steady.

#3952 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

Yep, messy welds caused by not having good enough tooling to cut precise 89mm holes in 2 angled sheet and my amateur skills. Hence there were lots of gap that I had to try and fill with the TIG (which is not easy). I really needed a MIG welder to fill up the gaps, but that would be another few hundred quid. However, the welds sufficed to get the job done, no need to make it pretty in my mind. There are quite a few pin hole gaps all over the place which allows tiny amounts of sooty gas to escape, but it's trivial and of no consequence.

The silencer is very well fixed in position (4 points), which is why the exit stub took the bunt of the damage (as the silencer didn't budge a bit and something had to give).

Edited by Nev, 22 August 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#3953 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

To be honest looks like your not getting the weld pool hot enough. What amperage and gas flow are you using?

#3954 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

To be honest looks like your not getting the weld pool hot enough. What amperage and gas flow are you using?

about 45 amps and about 3 LPM. Any more ampage and the sheet would just blow through where ever the gap between the metal got too big.  

I think you may be right though, with more amps the pool is easier to maintain, just that you have to be bloody fast to see when it's about to sag and drop.

If I hack into it again (seems a likely project due to the baffle rattle) I'll try more amps. Also I really could do with > 1.5mm filler rods as they seem a bit too tiny.

Edited by Nev, 22 August 2017 - 03:33 PM.

#3955 Mopeytitan

Mopeytitan

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
    My dogs (love my dogs).
    F1.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

With stainless you should have a lot more gas than that. I use 6 Lpm on Steel you should be up to about 12-15 for stainless. Once you get a good tack on you can build it up across the gap by working side to side in a zig zag motion. And obviously a foot pedal does help a lot :lol: it does take time to get it right. What size filler wire and tungsten are you using? Because thicker makes it easier to fill gaps. Also what type of tungsten?

Edited by Mopeytitan, 22 August 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#3956 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

With stainless you should have a lot more gas than that. I use 6 Lpm on Steel you should be up to about 12-15 for stainless. Once you get a good tack on you can build it up across the gap by working side to side in a zig zag motion. And obviously a foot pedal does help a lot :lol: it does take time to get it right. What size filler wire and tungsten are you using? Because thicker makes it easier to fill gaps. Also what type of tungsten?

1.5mm filler, 2mm (red tipped/coloured) tungsten. Maybe I could try a fatter tungsten, hadn't thought of that.

I've tried more gas in the past, but it seems to make little difference. TBH I am not sure my cheapo regulator accurately measures the output, as my tanks seems to empty a lot faster than expected. As a result I've tended to err on the side of economy as it is bloody expensive stuff.

Edited by Nev, 22 August 2017 - 04:39 PM.

#3957 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

Have you got a DC pulse function? Run a fatter tungsten and bigger filler, run the high side of the pulse a little hotter around say 60-80A and drop the low side to say 20-30. Pulse will stop it from getting too hot, plus gives you a nice rhythm to move the pool along nice and quick. Gas between 10-12 depending on cup /weldingpro

#3958 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

I do have DC pulse, but haven't tried it out much, will give it a go with a fat tungsten.

Thanks guys, yes I'll try a few changes.

Edited by Nev, 22 August 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#3959 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

Quick 40 mile blast this morning before all the bank holiday grockles got on the road. I gave it the full beans to test the silencer and my dodgy welding seemed to hang together. The bodywork hung together too, which always worries me for some reason.

All fuelled up and ready for tomorrows blast with JoshUxb.

Edited by Nev, 26 August 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#3960 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

I have never tried TIG so I can't compare but a MIG is a must for filling ill fitting panels in my world of classic (old things that don't fit) cars.

And I've had the same bottle for years and years.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users