My splitter is 73mm of the floor and still good on the road

Until you get to a speed bump lol

#4343 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:27 AM

More likely it's the ends of the splitter. They project forward and given that rake will be the lowest parts.

#4344 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

My splitter is 73mm of the floor and still good on the road

Until you get to a speed bump lol

Lets hope you don't meet a squashed badger on the road or your front end won't look pretty!

7CM is when I measured huge downforce on my car, so hopefully yours will be the same. It really was dramatic, made my steering become heavy (needing 2 hands to turn the steering wheel after 100 leptons).

#4345 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

Put my 350 Lb springs back into the front coilovers this afternoon. It took a bit of adjustment to get the ride height exactly the same as before.

The drive is much the same, perhaps with a touch more understeer for some reason, maybe some rechecking/adjustment of the geo will be required if I have time.

#4346 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

Maybe try and stiffen the rear damping slightly?

#4347 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

First week at work completed, but I'm pretty shattered and struggled to eat my dinner (which is rare I can tell you!!).

Am determined to get up early tomorrow morning and go for a blast in the sun; and then drive straight to my MOT at 10:30 AM after 200+ miles in the countryside.

Edited by Nev, 22 June 2018 - 07:23 PM.

#4348 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

I need to fiddle with the geo, as a bit of understeer has crept in since beefing up the front springs up from 275 to 325 LB. When I turn in, it's noticeably more reluctant to roll and hence load up. I have a 2 ideas of how to alleviate this though, will get in the garage this afternoon and have a fiddle.

Brake diving has been alleviated though, as well as smacking the the chassis on the road hopefully.

Edited by Nev, 23 June 2018 - 11:29 AM.

#4349 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:56 PM

Fiddle #1 didn't do much. :(

#4350 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

add more passive rear steer to make it rotate quicker

#4351 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

add more passive rear steer to make it rotate quicker

You mean toe out the rears a smidge? I might try it if fiddle #2 doesn't bring things back to normal.

#4352 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

Hmmm, did 150 miles of particularly twisty stuff this morning and maybe I was imagining the understeer. :unsure:

It's too easy to get neurosis about such things!

Edited by Nev, 24 June 2018 - 11:12 AM.

#4353 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Pour in petrol and go; repeat, repeat, repeat. :)

qSKuMZk.jpg

#4354 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

Went out to in Nipper to reconnoitre and take some measurements of a dam spillway today, with a view to "surfing" down it in the winter in my kayak.

kKREhWC.jpg

sdSOquV.jpg

QQynW7z.jpg

I know of a guy in Bristol who did it, and ripped an arm out of his socket when he hit the standing wave at the bottom. There's an article about it here: http://www.dailymail...man-finds-.html

#4355 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

Looks like candidate for Darwin Awards to me:

#4356 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:56 AM

I love these sort of challenges: skill, balls & planning vs risk with consequences.

#4357 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

Pffft Kayaks, to tried and tested. You need to step up the game and do it on some thing like this -

giant-unicorn-inflatable-floats-float-ri

#4358 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

Pffft Kayaks, to tried and tested. You need to step up the game and do it on some thing like this -

giant-unicorn-inflatable-floats-float-ri

Yum, I've always been happy to commit hari-kiri with an 18 year old. Some assumptions have been made in the previous statement!

Edited by Nev, 09 July 2018 - 05:30 PM.

#4359 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

Since fitting the 325 Lb front springs I've had mild understeer, so have spent an hour in the furnace (AKA my garage) taking the drop links off the front 1" ARB (was set on 140 Lb/inch transfer). I've "hung" the ARB up on strong tie-wraps for the test drive.

Hopefully I'll give it whirl on the road later to see how much this improves the turn in. Previously it used to "dig in " at the front like billio with 225 Lb front springs, which helped promote my homicidal late turn ins (where necessary), and "excite" my few passengers.

I am obviously expecting better low/mid speed aggressive turn in without the front ARB, but it's not likely to be the same as having super soft 225 Lb front springs. :(

Rear springs are 450 Lb BTW.

BTw, the bushes on my ARB were terribly stiff too (only 4 or so years old), took about 25 Lb just to move the ARB... usual poor after market kit as usual (even though I'm sure JJJ lubed them up when he put them in). The expectation that one has to regularly lube them is too much, the more experienced I become, the more I see OEM as the way ahead in many cases. :huh:

2 hours or so and I'll know...

Edited by Nev, 09 July 2018 - 07:10 PM.

#4360 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:19 PM

Given their low cost, and the total ball ache they are to remove when the bolts are seized, I'm going to start to treat them as a service item, every 2-3 years maybe.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users