Big Power Vxt Project

• Please log in to reply
4722 replies to this topic

#4361 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:30 PM

Mine had flats on the inside edge so I could easily stop them spinning, I suspect OEM ones didn't...

#4362 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

Wow, test drive done, albeit only up to about 90 leptons.

I was pretty overwhelmed by the increased turn in, it's pretty hefty and very reassuring, though probably a bit too confidence inspiring. I reckon it's a bit too much perhaps, as a sharp tug at the wheel would deffo make the back end swing out pretty easily. Makes me realise why the OEM setup has a 50 Lb/inch bar in it, otherwise all the new owners would have been in a ditch. Also, I've lost the need to promote oversteer with the accelerator, so balancing the car on corners won't be possible with this setup.

Based on this, I guess the likelihood is that I'll return to near OEM FARB, though I have yet to take it up to mid/high speeds and see how it behaves before I make a decision. The other alternative is to step up a bit on the springs at the front and eliminate a FARB all together, though I think some sort of torque offset from one side to the other would be nice as it would stop that "bobbly" independent feeling I got. At a guess 50 to 75 Lb/inch would suit.

Edited by Nev, 09 July 2018 - 09:02 PM.

#4363 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

Just think how much fun on track It would be ...

#4364 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

any change to lift off oversteer?

#4365 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:42 AM

I use the Hanger 111 adjustable anti-roll bar as it uses oem rubber bushes so no squeaking or greasing require.

#4366 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

any change to lift off oversteer?

Not sure really, I didn't really get to stretch it's legs.

#4367 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:53 PM

Being a working man had it's impact this morning - I got up late and couldn't be arsed to get out for a drive. I dislike being a tired work robot in the system, but needs must. :(

Anyway, went out this evening, it must be 30 degrees here, with the sun drench tarmac probably 40 degrees, so much friction it's mental. I was booting it in 1st gear all the way to 7500 RPM with no wheel spin and front end was digging in like a fat boy at Mcdonalds. :tt:

Put my tiny camera in the engine bay as well, playing the video back shows 4mm to 5mm of engine rocking still (even with a solid gearbox side mount). I think I might beef up the front and rear mounts a bit more when I can be arsed. Or maybe the rocking is just due to the weak rear subframe bending and hence be unsolvable, it wouldn't surprise me based on what I've seen when lowering/removing an engine from it, as it flexes about 1 inch.

Edited by Nev, 15 July 2018 - 06:59 PM.

#4368 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

could also be the camera moving?

#4369 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:21 PM

could also be the camera moving?

Nope it was firmly mounted to the water header tank.

I guess there's almost no way to stop a 250 Kg object from swinging around a few mm really.

#4370 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

Here the video:

Thats with a solid gearbox side mount, OEM drivers side mount, beefed up front + rear mounts (approx same stiffness as the yellow inserts).

Edited by Nev, 15 July 2018 - 07:41 PM.

#4371 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

They look a lot stiffer than yellow mounts in front back back with standard sides

#4372 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

Jeeze, I'm getting like my dad I think, went into the garage to find some parts I know I have, but could not find them for love or money with all the clutter I have.

Next house has to have a quadruple garage I think, as a double simply isn't enough.

Edited by Nev, 22 July 2018 - 04:31 PM.

#4373 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Tried fitting a double rose jointed turbo support rod today. No way on earth I could do it with the engine in the car. It will have to wait until whenever the engine comes out next.

:(

Edited by Nev, 31 July 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#4374 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 05:16 PM

Had my first case of a bit too much oversteer (due to no front ARB) on Sat, a big sweeping bend on a motorway. The back was digging in alarmingly and then rising and snaking a bit over the undulations.

It's only a problem at high speed though, for the normal B and A roads I do it's fine. As usual what you gain in one area you lose in another.

I think the best compromise is to stick an OEM 50 lb FARB back in - which I have waiting on the bench thanks to Alex (Ormes) on here. I just need to get my lazy ass in the garage to do the work sometime...

#4375 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:04 PM

How bloody fast are you going for that to happen on a motorway ?

Be careful Buddy!

#4376 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

How bloody fast are you going for that to happen on a motorway ?

Be careful Buddy!

I was probably going over 50. ;)

Am on the TC group buy now, looking forward to planting my foot down without fear and letting the computer figure out when I'm going too fast. Should really allow me to use the full potential of the engine.

Edited by Nev, 23 August 2018 - 07:06 PM.

#4377 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:06 PM

im diaspointed in you nev

#4378 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

im diaspointed in you nev

Probably a sign of my old age (and wisdom!) - if it works well, hopefully it will help keep me alive into my old age. :)

Also, I've barely spent any money on the car in the last 4 years, so £300 for TC (which is a bargain) is Nipper's 10th B'day present.

Edited by Nev, 23 August 2018 - 07:12 PM.

#4379 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

:lol: all these fairies needing driving aids.. time to hang up the driving gloves ;)

#4380 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

:lol: all these fairies needing driving aids.. time to hang up the driving gloves ;)

I think you need to come on one of my little road trips, bring Simon along when he gets his red menace working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users