• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 The Knobs

The Knobs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:46 PM

Nice car but who actually takes photos of it on their drive and posts it on a VX forum? and who in there right mind buys a Cayenne? If thats whats in view in the pics.

#42 davehutchinson

davehutchinson

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:58 PM

Nice car but who actually takes photos of it on their drive and posts it on a VX forum? and who in there right mind buys a Cayenne? If thats whats in view in the pics.

I own a VXT and used to own an NA, I know alot of people on here are true car enthusiasts who don't just care about the VX so as I'm in a position to get good pictures, I do as people like to see them. The Cayenne S is a very capable car, they don't look incredible but for my Mum it's perfect since it's replaced a Boxster S and a Jeep. It does both roles well and is actually a lovely car to be in, just ignore the outside :)

#43 m7mini

m7mini

• PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

Great pics Imnotworthy Imnotworthy That must have been a very cheap GT2 - 20K under list with only 500 miles on the clock. Your family clearly has great taste B)

#44 davehutchinson

davehutchinson

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:25 PM

No-one wanted the GT2 even though there's only 9 of the 2004 ones in the UK for the whole of this year. He didn't want to miss the chance to get the Gallardo so just PX'd it. Even the garage he bought the GT2 from wouldn't buy it back!!

#45 BLUE BEE

BLUE BEE

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:49 PM

Sorry but think that car looks very "Jap import 2nd hand", inside is vey disapointing from the photos. THe Porsche's are great. Maybes in real life it looks better. As for throwing away so much money on swapping cars all the time, maybe a few weeks working in an inner city soup kitchen or something similar would teach an appreciation for money. If you and your father have so much that you can be arrogantly wasteful to that extent then do something good with it instead. Not impressed!.

#46 wickywire

wickywire

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, Rugby, the usual

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:52 PM

If i had his dads money i would do the same. You only live once and you should treat every day as if it's your last.

#47 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:58 PM

Andy, we evidently share very different value systems. Dave H, I was not being pedantic. You made a cold clear statement that was bollocks (IME), then reversed its meaning when challenged. Must be the psychologist in me, I notice these things. We won't meet 'in real life' so you have that to look forward to at least ;) Still, nothing is advanced here so I'll shut up. ** wickywire every day IS someone's last, very avoidably so. I'd stick with a 360 for a year at least and bung the saved £20k or so in a sustainable water project in Africa, or something. But thats just the kind of thing that give ME pleasure ;)

Edited by Purebob, 03 May 2004 - 08:01 PM.

#48 The Knobs

The Knobs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:00 PM

We can all look at pictures of supercars in any magazine, its not that we dont appreciate them, but dont need to be shown them on this site. If i am alone in this then who cares. Now if your dad had a Gordon Keeble or something that he owned and cherished from new, then i would be impressed to see a picture of it.

#49 andym172

andym172

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything and everything...<br>Get bored too easily so don't have a specific 'interest'.

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:10 PM

We can all look at pictures of supercars in any magazine, its not that we dont appreciate them, but dont need to be shown them on this site. If i am alone in this then who cares. Now if your dad had a Gordon Keeble or something that he owned and cherished from new, then i would be impressed to see a picture of it.

It's a bloody car enthusiasts forum with pictures posted in the Users Gallery for gods sake!!

I for one enjoyed seeing the pictures and am glad Dave posted them up - in fact I hope that he's good enough to post pictures up of any of his dads future purchases as well.

I can't believe some of the responses on here...

#50 The Knobs

The Knobs

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:12 PM

Good fishing today....................................

#51 easy

easy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:25 PM

Nice car thumbsup Just make sure it gets the driving it deserves ;) IMHO :rolleyes: Whatever cash you have left after phony Tony has stopped buying cruise missiles with the rest of. You spend how you want :D

Edited by easy, 03 May 2004 - 08:26 PM.

#52 davehutchinson

davehutchinson

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:31 PM

My Dad has worked exceptionally hard for his money, he hasn't just picked six numbers and got lucky, he worked and worked until he became hugely successful, something I can only hope I'll achieve myself. He can spend his money how ever he chooses, it's for no-one else to preach to me or him on how to do it, he's worked hard for it so why can't he enjoy it? Despite the assumptions being made here, they also give quite a large amount of money to charity, in the tens of thousands a year, again that's his choice but once you've worked that hard and made your mark, wouldn't you like something to show for it? That could be a car or anything, doesn't even have to be material but you do what makes you happy with your money.

#53 wickywire

wickywire

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, Rugby, the usual

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:40 PM

I totally agree with Dave. Why shouldn't his dad buy nice things for himself as he has worked hard for it. I'm 24 and i've bought a VXR but it will only be used for the odd trackday. The rest of the time it will be tucked up in the garage. I'll be buying another car for my run around but to some people i'm wasting my money on a car that i will occasionally drive but at least i can jump into it when i want to. My mates can't see the sense in me buying the car for it to sit in the garage, but i'm fortunate enough to be able to do this. It's very rich people like daves dad who are able to take the first hit on the car and then allow people like me to buy it at a price i can afford.

Edited by wickywire, 03 May 2004 - 08:43 PM.

#54 Purebob

Purebob

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Interests:Laughing, Helping my kids grow up, Travelling, Being pompous about the death of pop music as a relevant cultural medium, Driving my brilliant little car, Being middle aged and waiting for death, Enjoying the privilege of travelling the world

Posted 05 May 2004 - 02:47 PM

I did not say it is bad to buy nice things if you have money. Do not put words in my mouth. I DO think selling cars regularly at a huge loss without learning them first is capricious in the extreme and a terrible waste of money that could be put to better use. The equivalent of Henry VIII tossing a whole roast chicken after taking a single bite before reaching for the next. I have a wealthy friend who has a serious coke habit. I comment on THAT being a terrible waste of money too. However Dave H, and this thread is safe from my further comment.

#55 MRK30

MRK30

• PipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Golf, Football &amp; family of course..but not in that order!

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:27 PM

As for throwing away so much money on swapping cars all the time, maybe a few weeks working in an inner city soup kitchen or something similar would teach an appreciation for money. If you and your father have so much that you can be arrogantly wasteful to that extent then  do something good with it instead. Not impressed!.

What an absolute crock of sh*t. Along with most of the other responses to this post.

How do you know where Hutchinson snr started in life. He may well have worked his way up from a bloody soup kitchen...who are you to pass judgement on what he chooses to do with his hard earned money? Equally, how do you know he has no appreciation for money?

It may be that he donates more to charity than we all earn in a year and pays for the bloody soup kitchens...anyway who cares..it's his business.

Given that we have all joined a car enthusiasts club, why is there such a tirade of jealous abuse against a member who is sharing the benefit of his personal experiences with us. Personally, I 'd never get the chance to see these cars up close (unless I go out and buy CAR Magazine...cheers..you're saving me £3 a month)...so keep em coming.

Anyway...talk about inverted snobbery..are you just annoyed because of the amount of money or is it the principle of wasting money? If so, where are all the posts against the silver VX members? Clearly they have no appreciation of money nor care about re-sale values :P

#56 Dave

Dave

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:34 PM

Dave thumbsup to your Dad,

If I could do what your dad has done car/work wise I would have a garage full. None of them would go back.

Work hard and spend what you can afford, simple as that.

I do enjoy seeing these type of cars and getting feedback from owners, Im never going to own one so keep em coming Dave

Ignore all the crap you've heard

Maybe put it in off topic chat in future then nobody can complain.

Dont forget you can choose not to read a thread.

Dave

#57 speedyK

speedyK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,846 posts
  • Interests:Er... cars?

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:51 PM

tirade of jealous abuse

where are all the posts against the silver VX members? Clearly they have no appreciation of money nor care about re-sale values  :P

Jealousy:

Any regular on the forum will know that Dave is a VX owner. They should also know that this is a car forum and that the majority of us like cars like the Gallardo.

I personally think it to be the best choice out there at the moment. I'm not in a position to buy one new (did buy a 1 out of 3,000 ticket for the "Best of the Best" Gallardo competition though and was not surprised, but still disappointed to find last week that I hadn't won :( ) I certainly have the motive and, if I had the means, I would not hesitate either.

"Work hard, play hard" is a perfectly reasonable attitude, IMHO – and if play hard means changing your cars when you choose to, I don't think it is reasonable for anyone to moralise about it. Merely because the sums involved are out of the ordinary, it does not make it any different in quality to the decisions some of the people on this forum made to buy a VX, only to decide shortly after that it wasn't for them. The diffrence is simply the quantity of cash involved. I think that is so shocking for some that they over-react and let themselves speak before they've thought it fully through.

Just because a person "wastes" his money in the opinion of other people, it does not reduce his right to do what he wants to with his money. Furthermore, many people who are in a position to indulge themselves to such an extent concommittantly donate equally exceptional amounts to "good causes" and/or give of considerable amounts of their hard-earned and precious free time to such institutions – it's just something that isn't widely publicised.

I'm not trying to "pick a fight" with any one – I simply think one person should not be too quick to condemn the actions of another as reprehensible on the grounds that he would not do such a thing himself – especially when not in a position to be in possession of all the facts or when allowing irrational emotions to colour his judgement.

Silver:

On a lighter note – the colour of the Gallardo I was hoping to win was...
silver :D

I thought long and hard before choosing silver for my Speedster. I agree yellow is a good colour for this type of car, but honestly feel that the lines are more effectively displayed by a light, metallic colour. In addition, it is not my desire to attract too much attention whilst driving the car – I prefer a more discreet presence – the car is still as enjoyable and fast (actually, in my experience silver ones are faster than the rest! :lol: ).

#58 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:33 AM

great car and great photos too. as to people saying about wasting money thats a drop in the ocean to what some people wast money on! ie if you own a £60 million boat then it costs over £3 million to run it each year. i would be the same myself if i had the money to change cars when i wanted even if it lost me £20k. great car and hope to see more great pictures of other lovely cars posted. thumbsup

#59 SSH1

SSH1

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:50 AM

However much an aspirant capitalist you may be Andy, you must accept that some of us will always comment that to burn hundred pound notes as a hobby in a world of need is not a nice thing to do.

Ok but on a slightly smaller scale, do you really need 3 cars?
I am sure you have mentioned that 1 of them is really surplus to requirements.

I don't believe that anyone on here has the right to judge anothers spending habits, we all drive a car which is for our own pleasure.

#60 rasputin

rasputin

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:drinking beer

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:56 AM

cool cars dave Imnotworthy keep up with the piccies. why is it when any thread turns nasty youre allways behind it pb? :9mm: i wonder how you justify owning a vx iam sure a 2cv would be more politicly correct just think of all that money saved for youre african project :groupjump:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users