• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#21 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

It was discussed before and the GM current offering that looked a good fit was the LS4 http://en.wikipedia....ki/GM_LS_engine

#22 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

im struggling to see the point myself

Because it's there
Because he can

;)

I'm so keeping an eye on this thread!

Edited by Bargi, 18 August 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#23 iceman

iceman

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,159 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

Welcome to the forum (or posting on it) Ground Effect. Good luck with your project [/grouphug]

#24 Phear

Phear

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

It was discussed before and the GM current offering that looked a good fit was the LS4

http://en.wikipedia....ki/GM_LS_engine

Nice! If I ever win the lottery I'm popping one of those in the back of a VX and strapping on some forced induction :wacko:

#25 Ground Effect

Ground Effect

• Pip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Crackle Free Vinyl, The Universe and how the fcuk we got here :-l

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hello :> I dont know how to use the forum propley tbh so i,ll do some basic reply,s FLD - Your right the rover v8 isnt much heavyer once everything has been stripped off and modded to fit as the block,heads and rockers are all alloy. 5.8L sounds nice but lets get it running first and its to late for the LS7 seed as it,s pretty much done now : > mangham54 - The engine was from an 1986,ish range rover with the stronger block but the spec has completly changed now with high compresion piston,s revvyer cam etc and should put out a rather mild 200+bhp. My auntie doesnt do track days let alone passenger rides : > Duncan vxr - Yep the standard engine,s never sounded as good as it looked hence why it,s getting a hard to fit v8. soupdragon - Yep im pretty sure it,ll end up around 160kg maybe less with a smaller alternator and a very modified front cover. Sump/pickup standard for now, rad is the biggest alloy motorsport one courtney did, gearing will have to do but 6k+ rev,s should be ok from the v8, facet fuel pump to suit the carbs is sorted out and it,s all been a headache but a nice one : > exmantaa - If it was my project and i had the money i would :P bargi - I could,ent of put it better myself : > iceman - Thanks for the welcome but i,ve been posting for years ! was i supposed to click add reply :P Dont forget the conversion isnt being built for big bhp figures but for a nice sound to match the looks and something that we can fix ourselfs without going to vauxhall every time a sensor goes wrong, thats not to say big bhp carnt be got from a rover v8 in the future tho. When it,s finished in around a month or so i,ll get my uncle to take it down to the local weigh bridge for a rough overall car wieght, im guessing around 900kg myself. Here,s a pic from when we had the engine in today for random clerance issue,s we was sorting out, i,ll put some better pic,s up next week when it,s more complete and after i,ve figured out how to post bigger picture,s from imageshack or someone as i,v reached my 500k limit on the site. Sam.

Attached Files

#26 mandarinvx

mandarinvx

King of First Replies

• 12,621 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

Imnotworthy

#27 Nelly Vx

Nelly Vx

3/3 Of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Great work !! chinky chinky But i bet the exhaust system will be a right pita to sort out, good luck with it all though thumbsup

#28 AMOSS

AMOSS

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:22 AM

May the Force be with you!.. This is going to be the most interesting conversion to date.. thumbsup

#29 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

wow that is tight, is that the f23 with an adaptor plate? pics, if you add them to the users gallery (see top left , 5th menu) , then post the pic url as normal

#30 RobNA

RobNA

RobSC :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Top stuff thumbsup Take lots of pics. You can never have too many pictures Imnotworthy

#31 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

144KG for the engine http://en.wikipedia....Rover_V8_engine So lighter than the fat standard engines; ECOTEC is 148KGS, 'Heavy' Z20LET is 155KGS.

#32 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

144KG for the engine
http://en.wikipedia....Rover_V8_engine

So lighter than the fat standard engines;
ECOTEC is 148KGS,
'Heavy' Z20LET is 155KGS.

Breathes a sigh of relief that I've shed the weight of the balancer shafts and the metal rocker cover from my engine.

#33 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

144KG for the engine
http://en.wikipedia....Rover_V8_engine

So lighter than the fat standard engines;
ECOTEC is 148KGS,
'Heavy' Z20LET is 155KGS.

The Rover is NOT 144 Kg, the original Buick prototype was...
and the Z22SE is not 148 kg :groupjump:

#34 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Top stuff thumbsup

Take lots of pics. You can never have too many pictures Imnotworthy

I tell the missus that! She aint having it though.

Back on topic (ish)...wasn't the original buic a V6 too? Hmm rangerover block, crossbolted mains one? Die cast one!!??

#35 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

Seeing that pic of the engine fitted sooooooooooooooooooooooooo makes me want the next big project car to be based on a vx :o with v8 power ;) or v6 bi-turbo :P of the vag or GM range Keep up the good work ;) DG

#36 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Seeing that pic of the engine fitted sooooooooooooooooooooooooo makes me want the next big project car to be based on a vx :o with v8 power ;) or v6 bi-turbo :P of the vag or GM range

Keep up the good work ;)

DG

You coulda had my cos gb if you wanted v6 turbo. Fiendishly expensive to maintain though :( which is why I sold it.

#37 theolodian

theolodian

Recovering VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

That is an impressive picture! Now you need some powerboat headers and run the exhaust on top of the clam. ;) :D The reason that I want ITBs on mine is so that it sounds more exotic. I am more interested in that than the power. If I was doing a V8 I would really try to do a flat-plane crank, but that is ££££.

#38 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

im struggling to see the point myself

That in itself is the point Darron.

#39 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Seeing that pic of the engine fitted sooooooooooooooooooooooooo makes me want the next big project car to be based on a vx :o with v8 power ;) or v6 bi-turbo :P of the vag or GM range

Keep up the good work ;)

DG

Get that RS4 engine in a VX! Imnotworthy

#40 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

The reason that I want ITBs on mine is so that it sounds more exotic. I am more interested in that than the power. If I was doing a V8 I would really try to do a flat-plane crank, but that is ££££.

if you put your hand deep in your pockets power can be achieve with a top sound track :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users