• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

I miss all the fun :rolleyes:

me too i am still in lovely scotland and haven't seen the vx for a week and look forward to stick the itb's on the track :rolleyes:

#22 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

Was this him?

Yeah that's him :) He was very quick!!!

I thought it might be. I overheard somebody saying something to Pete in the pit lane and put two and two together - luckily came up with four, this time.

If you ever want instruction in the VX, maybe you wont want to try this one. Though as we're all girls and clearly need as much help as possible, maybe he'll do us a deal out of pity.

#23 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:05 PM

Was this him?
http://i211.photobuc...x/masthead2.jpg[/IMG]

as i said nailed to the masthead :lol:

#24 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

Was this him?
Posted Image

He looks much taller in that photo.

#25 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:31 PM

Eugene O'Brien - race driver and instructor to the stars. thumbsup

#26 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

Eugene O'Brien - race driver and instructor to the stars. thumbsup

He was bloody quick so fair play to the guy. I must just book him for a try out, I am sure I can learn something from him and I cannot wait to see his face when he finds out it is me.

#27 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

you know I'm sure i saw him lying in a gutter with a can of special brew

#28 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

He was bloody quick so fair play to the guy.

He used to be chief instructor at Silverstone, so guess he's done a lap or two there. :lol:

#29 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

He was bloody quick so fair play to the guy.

He used to be chief instructor at Silverstone, so guess he's done a lap or two there. :lol:

Well he sure carried the best part of 20MPH more than Jimmy or I through that first corner. He didn't need to chop in front of me like that though. What amazed me most was I was able to sound my horn at him.

#30 martinr

martinr

• 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:06 AM

Was that an Audi S1 Elise on the second lap of the first vid Mike? Seemed to pull away (even though you were still warming the car up) :mellow:

Sorry to butt on on your forum guys but as the owner of the red Elise I thought I should say something.

The engine in the car is just a standard 1.8 K series with about 170bhp and the tyres were A048s with less than 2mm of tread so that probably gives you some idea of how good a driver Eugene is. He's also an excellent instructor and a really nice guy - honest :)

He only did a couple of short sessions (I was driving the rest of the time) but both provoked complaints (all from VX drivers!). Eugene has masses of experience, he's on track practically every day, and would never do anything that put anyone in danger. I'm sure he did bend the rules a bit, and you are perfectly within your rights to complain, but is it really necessary unless someone was genuinely put in danger? The people we should really be taking issue with are the ones who ran out of talent, caused red flags and took track time from the rest of us.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the day, I certainly did - there's nothing like a well-rubbered, wet Silverstone day for improving your car control!

-martin

Edited by martinr, 08 October 2010 - 04:09 AM.

#31 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

Was that an Audi S1 Elise on the second lap of the first vid Mike? Seemed to pull away (even though you were still warming the car up) :mellow:

Sorry to butt on on your forum guys but as the owner of the red Elise I thought I should say something.

The engine in the car is just a standard 1.8 K series with about 170bhp and the tyres were A048s with less than 2mm of tread so that probably gives you some idea of how good a driver Eugene is. He's also an excellent instructor and a really nice guy - honest :)

He only did a couple of short sessions (I was driving the rest of the time) but both provoked complaints (all from VX drivers!). Eugene has masses of experience, he's on track practically every day, and would never do anything that put anyone in danger. I'm sure he did bend the rules a bit, and you are perfectly within your rights to complain, but is it really necessary unless someone was genuinely put in danger? The people we should really be taking issue with are the ones who ran out of talent, caused red flags and took track time from the rest of us.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the day, I certainly did - there's nothing like a well-rubbered, wet Silverstone day for improving your car control!

-martin

Wow!! He really was pushing it then!! I was in the bright Yellow VX who he flew by, and I'm usually pretty quick! I've never been blasted away like that I was very impressed!!!!!!

However; to say the ONLY complaints came from us is rubbish!! Mike complained (the guy who took the video) and that was the only complaint to the best of my knowledge. One of the VX's was under instruction before this and the instructor took offence to what he saw but strictly speaking that's not one of us. When Mike made his complaint he was told that this was NOT the first complaint and the car was on his last warning already.

Eugene is a confrontational character so I can only think that mild mannered Pete Smith crumbled and sold the VX's out when Eugene no doubt threw his toys out of the pram at being pulled up for driving as he was.

The attitude of the man when he stomped into our garage demanding to know who said what goes against all track etiquette as you're meant to leave that to Marshals but I'm afraid his self importance and disregard to the rules was equally prevalent in his driving.

I suggest he should take his chastisement like a man and accept that he WAS bending the rules and deserved to be told off. He's a grown man, but his behaviour was that of a petulant child. Also his attitude will eventually put him into the path of someone a little less tolerant, so he really should wind his neck in before someone stretches it for him.

*****edit****

Just to add.... I'm also guilty sometimes of overtakeing before I've seen an indicator, or other minor infringements but I only really do that when I'm sure I've been spotted first, and when I think it's safe. Things happen in the heat of the moment simple as. However I'm also more than prepared to get pulled up on that if it's reported.
As I said Eugene flew by me before I'd had chance to see him, and just as I was about to turn in so a bit scary, but I wasn't that upset by it as that would make me a hypocrite, but for him to then confront me when he was in the wrong just shows him up as a tool.

#32 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

"But is it really necessary unless someone was genuinely put in danger"
Two comments, firstly, Mr Trackday Warrior's 'danger' is very different from that of your average TD driver.

Secondly, Pete doesn't give specific instructions in the briefing for us to choose to ignore. You play by the rules or go home. To suggest the rules vary according to driver ability is crazy!

#33 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

:yeahthat:

Ah, 4:15 - 4:30 in the first vid. I presume this one of the numerous episodes involving Mr Angry in the red s1 elise ?
I'm amazed how quick he went into copse, I want his tyres! and are your rear lights supposed to do that Jimmy ?!?

Wrighty

I have no idea what engine was in the Elise, all I do know is A. He was seriously quick around that first corner and B. He had no consideration for any other car on the track, in fact that was his last outing of the day.

Whatever powered the car he was seriously quick and it was as much as I could do to hang on to him but he was much quicker through the traffic (well he didn't take any notice of the "overtake in a straight line and only with consent" rule.

He also tried to have a fight with the Team VX "girls" in the pit garage after he found out he was barred.

Proper idiot in my opinion; I thought Jimmy was going to lump him one at one point.

it used to be a SC Honda one of Simon Scuffams , I'm sure I've seen it many times before without any problems on track.

Edited by siztenboots, 08 October 2010 - 07:21 AM.

#34 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• 13,352 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

-martin

Hi Martin,

Good on you for coming on here and full respect. You are most welcome here and are in no way butting in on our forum. Great little car you have there.

As a driver Eugene has all my respect in the world, he is a great talent and an excellent coach (I have heard). What he did to me was not in the rule book and then to chop in front was totally un-necessary and in my book dangerous. If we were racing, I would have no issues with the move and would have possibly found him out to congratulate him on a superb overtake however we were on a track day and I did not give consent and we were on the approach to Maggots, an extremely fast part of the circuit. He then went on to do it to two more cars on the same lap that I saw and after he had dissappeared into the distance carried on doing so even overtaking a car with an instructor in it around the outside of Woodcote. Banged to rights sadly.

I am not whiter than white and have had Pete have words with me before, just the once mind and I have taken it, accepted it and sought out the driver and apologised. I have not and would never steam into a pit garage insulting the group of people there and basically be aggressive and argumentative and not just a little threatening.

It strikes me from having looked at his website that he was possibly helping you develop the car which would mean he was using that session as a test session; I can draw no other conclusion as he was on his own in the car therefore not instructing and I doubt he was out there for the shits and giggles having done so much Silverstone pounding.

When I spoke to Pete and I was the first VXer to do so, he told me Eugene was already on his last warning already having had four other complaints about his track manners on a track day, all these from Lotus owners (I can point you to the right garage if you like).

I have raced for many years and have been a regular track day attendee now the finance for racing is no longer available and I know how to behave, sadly Eugene did not and I am disappointed to have seen such disregard for other track users and such disgraceful behaviour from one who is so much more experienced than I.

It was a sour experience that has done Eugene no good in his Public Relations and really put a pisser on an otherwise challenging and enjoyable day.

Edited by Cliffie, 08 October 2010 - 07:26 AM.

#35 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

about 170bhp was about all you needed for most of that day. I had to be really tentative getting on the throttle on the exit, playing it by feel corner by corner , lap by lap trying to find grip. Normally my line would be completely different and I always get on the throttle as soon as the car is rotated into the corner and power flat through the apex.

#36 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

just remind me, did the red elise reg no. have 666 in it?

#37 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

just remind me, did the red elise reg no. have 666 in it?

yep, anyway its not the car , it was the other driver that ignored Pete's very clear briefing. Hands up all race drivers here today , right you are here to set an example about trackday driving , its not a test day.

#38 Ken993T

Ken993T

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

I was not on the trackday so I hope you don't mind me putting my oar in. I met Eugene about ten years ago, I was at Bedford in my VX220t when he passed me driving a Polo diesel (it may have been in a corner !!) but the penny did drop that I neaded to learn to drive the car on track, from that time Eugene taught me enough to win several races in Elise Trophy. Eugene is a real nice guy and a great instructor and can clearly pedal a car very well so please don't be too harsh on him. It's in the nature of racing drivers to push the limits, it may be that Eugene got it wrong on this day, however from the video's I can't see where anybody was put in danger.

#39 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

well maybe if he classes himself as a professional driver using the day as a business then I'd like to think if he caused damage that he carries lots of public liability cover for his business activities. I was there thinking it was a fun day, not a test session and that we would not be putting our cars in extreme close proximity to each other , but would maintain a healthy safety gap. For 99% of us thats what was respected for each others space.

#40 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

Eugene is a real nice guy and a great instructor and can clearly pedal a car very well so please don't be too harsh on him. It's in the nature of racing drivers to push the limits, it may be that Eugene got it wrong on this day, however from the video's I can't see where anybody was put in danger.

As you say, he can clearly hustle a car around a track and I remember watching him in BTCC back in the day. thumbsup

Personally I only encountered the "red elise" on track once and had no issue with whoever was driving it at the time and got off the line as soon as it was clear the driver was making much better progress than I was.

I think the real issue was he felt the need to come stomping into the garage throwing insults and accusing "us" of making numerous complaints when clearly the bulk of the complaints came from elsewhere. It may be that Cliffie's complaint was the straw that broke the camels back but, that was just one amongst a number of complaints that came from elsewhere on the pit lane. I could be wrong but I'm not aware of Eugene stomping into the other garages accusing Honda/Caterham/Elise/Porsche drivers of being girls and throwing his toys out of the pram. Now, it may well be that he was acting on slightly duff information on the source of any complaints from the organisers but, I'm not sure that behaving in such an (initially) aggressive manner shows a huge level of professionalism to what could easily be potential clients.

Anyway, lets all be thankful that with the exception of the one S1 that kissed the pit wall, we all managed to survive a particularly slippery day without damage. thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users