• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 VXTyrant

VXTyrant

Red Rules!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

Il be interested to hear if you get that 3/4 inch, my ht was about 10mm max from my mates window on fitment and we couldn't even get that 10mm without it fouling the winding mech!

I'll just have to hope the window is fairly low to begin with :unsure:

#42 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

Yeah good to see you yesterday glad you got home ok too it was pretty crappy! The windows can be a pain. Mine is only 1mm out both sides but your pax side was a bit of wide one! If you lift the whole window up about 10mm it should be spot on.

#43 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Am I correct in thinking the hard tops don't have the OEM spar that attaches to the top of the windscreen surround. I was let to believe this helped reduce wind noise and also helped hold the HT onto the car. Have you found this part to be unnecessary? Paul

#44 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

No on the oem one it's a purely cosmetic part. I never fitted it as it just obscures the view. Some aftermarket hardtops I've seen use the cover to fix the front down and don't have front brackets but I've just done it using the oem fixing points.

#45 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

OK, thanks for that. Now you are going to think I am a bit mad with this next question and I am guessing some moron will use the question as an opportunity to show their self perceived intelligence. Would you consider offering your hardtop with a large clear perspex panel fitted? I know it sounds like a mad question but I find the interior too dark and depressing when the roof is in place. Paul

#46 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

Your right you are mad! I dare say you could have two panels one on each side but it wouldn't be easy

#47 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

No on the oem one it's a purely cosmetic part. I never fitted it as it just obscures the view.

I fitted it on my VX deliberately so that it does obscure the view / low sunshine.

That was before I got my sunstrip photo fitted. ;)

Edited by 2.2_na, 30 December 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#48 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

Well it was worth a try. Thanks for getting back. Yes it is a bit of a mad idea. Paul

#49 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

Just reading through this thread and noticed the requirement to adjust the windows (in some cases quite considerably) and was wondering how does this affect refitting the soft top? From what I've read taking the hardtop on and off is not a major job, so I thought you'd be able to have the hardtop on for the weekday commute then at the weekend if the weather was nice whip the hardtop off and replace with softop to go for a drive, then the softop can be used if it starts to rain and for security overnight, then hardtop refitted Sunday evening ready for the commute. However, if you have to adjust the windows so much then surely when the soft top is refitted to get a good watertight seal you'll have to realign the windows every time you change between the two?

#50 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Usually the windows only need 1-2 mm of adjustment so the soft top will go back on without needing to readjust the windows. The windows will just seal slightly tighter against the rubber. The seals on my own car just needed the screws at the bottom of the doors winding in half a turn so I got away without having to take the door cards off!

#51 VXTyrant

VXTyrant

Red Rules!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

What I'll be doing if the soft top goes on again in tr summer just involves winding the windows down, fit the soft top, wind up until it seals ad don't wind up any further - hey presto thumbsup The adjustment I made was just height, not front or back so my theory should be watertight (excuse the pun)!

#52 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

Well its been a busy time I've shipped hardtops out all over Europe and the UK in the last couple of weeks. A couple of examples from customers who've had them supplied painted by me:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At the moment I just have a Europa blue one and one unpainted one left. More molds coming in next week.

I'll be stopping production fairly soon as its driving the Mrs crazy having the house full of hardtops so if you want one nows the time. Lead time for a painted one will be about 2 weeks. Unpainted can be with you in a few days. I can take a deposit to secure one for anyone who's wallet is still smarting from Christmas!

#53 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

They look really good. Top work. thumbsup

#54 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

A couple of examples from customers who've had them supplied painted by me:

They look good. thumbsup

#55 Aaron D

Aaron D

• Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Work, Motor Racing, Xbox, Local Pub, Motorbikes

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

The Moonland one is getting me all excited! Imnotworthy

#56 2.2_na

2.2_na

No Compromise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

The Moonland one is getting me all excited!

Imnotworthy

:yeahthat:

That one looks nice. thumbsup

#57 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

I'm very pleased this project has worked out for you. As our cars get older it is going to be increasingly benificial for site users to be able to use their skills for the benefit of the VX community. Well done, Paul

#58 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

Cheers guys. A lot of work but its nice to have then all sorted!

#59 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Anyone of the recent ebay buyers members on here? Could have saved a couple of quid on the ebay fees!

#60 moneyhunster

moneyhunster

Oooh whats this bit do??

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Interests:Bodybuilding, Rc planes, RC Quad flyers, trucks, motorbikes, quad bikes, fast cars, car Audio, Security, computers, business, FPV flying and most of all my girlfriend Lisa

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

Now u tell us, I just bought the last unpainted one

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users