62 replies to this topic

#1 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

I know a lot of you are thinking 'what a pussy', and maybe this is 'quaint my ride', but I commute in my car, and most of the journey is camera controlled motorway. It's a very light car with quite a lot of power so keeping a stable speed is tedius, esp as I would like to find a comfortable position for my leg. I know there are a few companies who do aftermarket cruise control, just wondered if anyone had experience of doing this? Thanx.

#2 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

I know a lot of you are thinking 'what a pussy', and maybe this is 'quaint my ride', but I commute in my car, and most of the journey is camera controlled motorway. It's a very light car with quite a lot of power so keeping a stable speed is tedius, esp as I would like to find a comfortable position for my leg.

I know there are a few companies who do aftermarket cruise control, just wondered if anyone had experience of doing this?

Thanx.

It's already in the VXT (and probably the NA's) ecu all you have to do is activate it, there's one of the french vx's whos done it for the same reason.

Edited by Winstar, 24 January 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#3 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

It's already in the VXT (and probably the NA's) ecu all you have to do is activate it, there's one of the french vx's whos done it for the same reason.

Hmm, interesting but how do I do that, and I guess I need a stalk or some buttons?

I did do a search before i posted this but didn't find a thread. Is there one?

#4 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:26 PM

iirc it was an extra button on the stalk , plus the loom for the brake pedal switch. likewise the traction control switch.

#5 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

Plus cabling back to the unused pins in the ECU connectors and a clutch switch, I think. If it is retrofittable using the OEM ECU, I'd definitely go that way if you can. Throttle pedal sensors seem to give enough problems of their own, without dicking about adding a 3rd party loom into the equation.

#6 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

A nice liltle project for you Kurt, or maybe you should buy a supercar instead :P In all seriousness though, trying to do something like this will probably take hours and hours and most probably not work fully in the end unless you have the patience of a saint.

Edited by Nev, 24 January 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#7 rsg

rsg

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

I'm pretty sure I can remember some retro fitting it on an astra on z22se.co.uk worth a search

#8 VXTyrant

VXTyrant

Red Rules!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

In all seriousness though, trying to do something like this will probably take hours and hours and most probably not work fully in the end unless you have the patience of a saint.

That and i'm sure it's not a thing you want to have cock-up and be unable to stop :rolleyes:

#9 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Kurt you are not alone, with my commuting it would be handy on the 10mile average speed section that I have to use on the A1. If you figure this out can you throw up a list of items and costs and a how-to (get ready for the flaming) as at the moment I have no spare time to investigate myself.

#10 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

If you figure this out can you throw up a list of items and costs and a how-to (get ready for the flaming) as at the moment I have no spare time to investigate myself.

Well, did some research on the German forum and sadly it seems it's not easily possible. Although there's a lot already installed for cruise control the throttle cable is apparently not up to the job.

If it was simple/cheap I would go for it, but it isn't, so I won't.

#11 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

Guy182 had it on his car I think, using the Vauxhall parts, also the Exige bodied turbo had it too. In my Vauxhall dealers days we use to retrofit it to Astra 1.8's & Zafira's, I think they just changed the stalk, added a clutch switch & did something with Tech2 Can't think of an Astra 2.2 that didn't have cruise as standard,

#12 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

Guy182 had it on his car I think, using the Vauxhall parts, also the Exige bodied turbo had it too.

Well did a search.

This is the stalk: -

Posted Image

This is what he said about it: -

Hi I notice that you have an Opel/Vauxhall cruise control stalk fitted, does this mean that you've got cruise control or your using the buttons for something else?

yeah he has cruise control

however the VX loom doesnt have the connection for it. so you have to add 3 new pins into the ECU connector and run the cables up to the stalk. i did it on mine (thanks to advice from manus and vmax) but never got round to having it activated in on the tech2.

Couldn't find a later post saying he'd got it working.

#13 2GOOD

2GOOD

Old Timer zzz...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Interests:My little red car of course!
    & the matt black vee twin thingy...

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

I remember now, Manus owned the Exige bodied turbo & had it working where as Guy wrote his car off before getting it activated

#14 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

Mind you, manus seems to have got his working.

Edited by KurtVerbose, 24 January 2011 - 10:44 PM.

#15 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:41 PM

The plot thickens. thumbsup All being well in four days I can join the hunt.

#16 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

Guy182 had it on his car I think, using the Vauxhall parts, also the Exige bodied turbo had it too.

Well did a search.

This is the stalk: -

Posted Image

This is what he said about it: -

Hi I notice that you have an Opel/Vauxhall cruise control stalk fitted, does this mean that you've got cruise control or your using the buttons for something else?

yeah he has cruise control

however the VX loom doesnt have the connection for it. so you have to add 3 new pins into the ECU connector and run the cables up to the stalk. i did it on mine (thanks to advice from manus and vmax) but never got round to having it activated in on the tech2.

Couldn't find a later post saying he'd got it working.

if vmax did it then PM danger7 as Ian knows them very well

#17 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

if vmax did it then PM danger7 as Ian knows them very well

Thanks, PM'd.

#18 markv

markv

• PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Interests:Cars, hoorspelen, computer games, movies, computers.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

The software for the cruisecontrol is not in the Z22SE ECU as used on the VX220. Mark

#19 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

The software for the cruisecontrol is not in the Z22SE ECU as used on the VX220.

Mark

Senior moment here but does that mean its not on the NA ECU but maybe on the Turbo ECU??

:unsure:

#20 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

The software for the cruisecontrol is not in the Z22SE ECU as used on the VX220.

Mark

Senior moment here but does that mean its not on the NA ECU but maybe on the Turbo ECU??

:unsure:

correctomundo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users