Found The Loose Steering Problem

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 moneyhunster

moneyhunster

Oooh whats this bit do??

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Interests:Bodybuilding, Rc planes, RC Quad flyers, trucks, motorbikes, quad bikes, fast cars, car Audio, Security, computers, business, FPV flying and most of all my girlfriend Lisa

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

I still have a loose feel at the front end, since tightening up the hub it has improved it but not irradiated it. It felt like it was more inside the car so I looked under the dash and moved the steering wheel and while holding the steering column I noticed slack in the joint before it exits the cabin. How do I fix it? Can I just get the joint or do I need the whole thing?

#2 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

The UJs on the steering column coming loose are quite common. There should be 2 bolts on each uj that need tightening up

#3 moneyhunster

moneyhunster

Oooh whats this bit do??

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Interests:Bodybuilding, Rc planes, RC Quad flyers, trucks, motorbikes, quad bikes, fast cars, car Audio, Security, computers, business, FPV flying and most of all my girlfriend Lisa

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

Ideal, no need to replace then, really spoils the drive home from work sometimes.

#4 IvarS

IvarS

• PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

The joints are weak, probably designed for a steering with power assistance and not up to the job on a muscle servo car. If tightening doesn't help, they are affordable from Eliseparts.com.

#5 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Ha ha, time for some VX gymnastics :) Head first into the footwell with two 13mm spanners and tighten the uj. If that doesn't cure it then you have to buy new ones from EliseParts. They aint cheap and you'll probably have to drop the rack back to fit it. If you have to post up on here are there are a few hidden pitfalls with this job that can effect your bump steer.

#6 moneyhunster

moneyhunster

Oooh whats this bit do??

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

When u say "you'll probably have to" does that mean its possible to do them without dropping the steering rack too?

#7 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

When u say "you'll probably have to" does that mean its possible to do them without dropping the steering rack too?

The pitfall's not with pulling the rack back for clearance. The problem is if you have to remove the UJ getting your steering aligned after. You need to re attach the next UJ on the same spline or else your alignment will beb out. Not just as simple as align after (like I did) as it messes your bump.

#8 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

UJs is one of the simplest but most hateful jobs to do on the Vx! I've had to do them on all the cars I've had. It's worthwhile removing the seat. I took the seat out and layed upside down on a rolled up duvet with my feet sticking up out of the roof to do mine :D

#9 hdave

hdave

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Did you sort Your steering out was it just as simple as tighting the nuts? To solve your problem.

#10 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Cars
    Girls
    Food

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

Prepare to feel some pain doing this job especially if you get trapped under the pedals and the panic sets in :D

#11 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

the panic sets in :D

You too? :lol:

Never realised I had claustrophobia until I spent some time upside down in the footwell messing about with the rack. I ended up with some hysterical laughing fit when I realised I was unlikely to ever get out again. :wacko:

#12 starlight

starlight

I used to have a Europa, and had a VX220T once...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Oily bits...

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

Never realised I had claustrophobia until I spent some time upside down in the footwell messing about with the rack. I ended up with some hysterical laughing fit when I realised I was unlikely to ever get out again. :wacko:

Are you still there?:blink: :lol:

#13 G-Bob

G-Bob

Embarrassing VX's in an MX5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts
  • Interests:Silver VX Bashing!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Yup.....he's using the mobile version of the site! ;)

#14 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
    Girls
    Food

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Oooooh yes :D wriggle stretch wriggle stretch oh sh1t I'm trapped!

#15 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Oooooh yes :D wriggle stretch wriggle stretch oh sh1t I'm trapped!

+2 :blink:

#16 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

:lol: that's nothing I have confined space training and I still sh** myself when i get stuck in places :lol: Like the other week when I was crawling under a false floor and got stuck ahh memories :lol:

#17 moneyhunster

moneyhunster

Oooh whats this bit do??

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

I've not tried to tighten up the steering yet, I'm planning to do it this weekend as I found out I left a couple stoppers out when I put my drivers seat back in last time round, not looking forward to it now thumbsdown

#18 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
    Girls
    Food

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

Defo easier with seat out and a rug in the footwell :) when I replaced my UJs I removed the dash and loosed the steering column at the top end rather than dropping the rack itself. I have no idea which is easier but I had to remove the dash for my boost gauge anyway so two jobs one stone scenario. If you do remove joints make sure you mark the alignment with tip ex or centre punch beforehand or prepare for wheel alignment adjustments

#19 moneyhunster

moneyhunster

Oooh whats this bit do??

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

when I replaced my UJs I removed the dash and loosed the steering column at the top end rather than dropping the rack itself.
. If you do remove joints make sure you mark the alignment with tip ex or centre punch beforehand or prepare for wheel alignment adjustments

this sounds easier than dropping the rack!

#20 Vespa

Vespa

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
    Girls
    Food

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

Ha ha ha just wait til you get into it! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users