• This topic is locked This topic is locked
128 replies to this topic

#1 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:30 AM

OK guys, here's my first attempt at a letter to Vauxhall about the ABS issue. Please provide any comments, suggestions etc you have .

Dear XXXXXX,

I am writing to you to raise the grave concerns a number of VX220 owners have with the ABS system fitted to the car. These concerns apply to 2.2 VX220 with the upgraded ABS module and VX220 Turbos. While the upgraded ABS module undoubtedly improves performance on smooth, dry roads, we believe the system still has the following faults:

Activates too easily on adverse surfaces
While it is expected that the ABS will activate on low grip surfaces such as gravel, mud patches and manhole covers, the VX220 system appears to be triggered much more easily than the systems fitted to other cars.
Furthermore, bumpy surfaces often activate the system, even under relatively light braking. Other cars, including similarly rigid, stiffly sprung cars do not appear to suffer from this problem.

Once activated, the system does not respond to changes in grip
After the ABS has cut in, it does not appear to stop working until the either the car has stopped or the driver has fully released the brake pedal. This is a particular problem when it has been triggered by a brief area of low-grip surface, but should then react to the increase in grip when past that area. I have experienced this when braking moderately for a mini-roundabout from relatively low speed in a residential area. As one wheel went over a wet manhole cover, the ABS triggered. However, when the wheel had passed over the manhole cover, the ABS continued to pulse despite the increased level of grip available.
This problem has also been caused by bumpy road surfaces. Some drivers have found that when braking for a bend or roundabout, the system has been triggered by a single bump in the road, but again continues to pulse until the car stops or the driver fully releases the brake.

When activated, the ABS system drastically reduces the braking force
We appreciate that the purpose of ABS is to allow the driver continue to steer during heavy braking, and that this can increase stopping distances. However, the VX220 system does not seem to hold the wheels anywhere near the point of lock-up, and the sensation from the driver’s seat is that the brakes have almost been removed entirely.

The combination of these faults can lead to some very dangerous situations, especially when they occur under panic conditions. If a child steps into the road and the ABS activates as one wheel goes over a manhole cover, it takes a great deal of awareness and skill to release the brakes fully then re-apply them. I wonder how many drivers would be able to do this in a panic situation? If they did not, we believe the consequences could be dire, as the ABS will cause the braking force to be reduce massively, and the system will not react to the increase in grip when the wheel returns to the road surface.

There is a very strong feeling amongst the owners on VX220.org.uk that these issues should be investigated as a matter of urgency, before this system causes a serious accident. In a recent poll of 117 of the VX220.org.uk members, 25% felt the system worked fine, 15% felt there were “a few niggley upsets but nothing out of the ordinary”, 23% had a few problems on bumpy roads, 21% said bumpy road surfaces had almost made them lost control, 9% had experienced complete failure on bumpy surfaces, and 6% had experienced complete failure on smooth surfaces.

Those owners and journalists that have driven the Elise 111R and VXR220 have raved over the improved ABS system, which shows that a good system can be developed for a lightweight, mid-engined car with narrow front tyres.

I look forward to hearing your views on these issues, and would be interested to know whether Vauxhall intend to take any action to investigate or rectify these problems.

Regards,

James Cross

On behalf of…..

#2 exjagman

exjagman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:Just for the record, i'm not Welsh! - so no sheep jokes bahhh - interests - cycling, walking, photography, F1

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:45 AM

Jim, very well constructed and makes the point easy to understand thumbsup

#3 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:47 AM

I'm happy. You can put my name down, Ged Murphy.

#4 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:52 AM

Go for it! Simon Fox

#5 pcmanning

pcmanning

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:57 AM

Looks good. Could suggest that you total up the unhappy percentages on the pole to make it clear that a good number (more than half) have had a problem at some point. Add my name of course... Paul Manning

#6 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:00 AM

Looks good.  Could suggest that you total up the unhappy percentages on the pole to make it clear that a good number (more than half) have had a problem at some point.

Add my name of course...

Paul Manning

Good idea, will do :)
Have now added this at the end of the poll paragraph:

"Therefore, approximately 59% had experienced some problems with the ABS, and 36% had experienced significant problems."

Edited by Jim_Cross, 24 June 2004 - 09:05 AM.

#7 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:02 AM

Looks good to me, nice one.

21% said bumpy road surfaces had almost made them lost control

Should that be lose control?

Jason Carvalho

Edited by Jase_MK, 24 June 2004 - 09:05 AM.

#8 dkennedyVXT

dkennedyVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Driving:-) Mountain biking, Ice hockey, Snow Boarding

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:03 AM

Good clear concise letter....Add my name Derek Kennedy

#9 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Jase, duly changed :) Thanks for the feedback so far thumbsup

#10 Big_Si

Big_Si

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:10 AM

Great stuff Jim thumbsup Who will it go to, specificly?

#11 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:13 AM

Si - it will go to Pat Doughty, who is Director of Customer Care GM Europe.

#12 trescoman

trescoman

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Retirement ASAP, <br>Driving<br>Carp fishing<br>Football<br>kids

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:21 AM

Well done thumbsup , pls add my name

#13 paulr

paulr

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:22 AM

Very impressed with the letter. I'd be interested in what kind of response you would get though. If adding names and Registration numbers help, put me down.

#14 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:26 AM

Para 1, change 'believe' to 'have found' I would remove the reference to the child, as this sensationalises the serious issue. When quoting the stats, I would not refer to the 'happy' responses, just state X% have experienced problems, of which Y% have lost control. HTH

#15 HOTHAND

HOTHAND

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:26 AM

WELL DONE MATE, if you need make No's, reg's or names i'll definatley be up for that h.

#16 BARRIE

BARRIE

• Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:31 AM

thumbsup

#17 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:39 AM

Para 1, change 'believe' to 'have found'

I would remove the reference to the child, as this sensationalises the serious issue.

When quoting the stats, I would not refer to the 'happy' responses, just state X% have experienced problems, of which Y% have lost control.

HTH

Thanks - changes made :)

#18 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:51 AM

I've raised this issue directly with Stu Harris and he is looking into it, I've no doubt that at the National meet it will be discussed. Can I suggest we wait until after this event has passed before sending the letter? Tis a good letter by the way and I'm happy for my name to be added to it if we at least wait until after the National event so it can be discussed fully.

#19 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:55 AM

John, I'm happy to wait until after the National meet. Can you let me know what comes of that please? Also, just to clarify, if a solution was offered, I would not be happy if I had to: 1. Replace the front wheels with 16s 2. Had to pay a lot of money for a replacement ABS unit So basically, if Vauxhall say that the 111R unit can be fitted to the VX, but will require 16" fronts and we have to pay for it...then I won't accept it.

#20 Guest_Vermania (Guest)

Guest_Vermania (Guest)

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:07 AM

Great letter just hope Vaxhall dont ignore this like most big companies do. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users