• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 Seb.F

Seb.F

Under Your Bed

• 6,045 posts
  • Interests:Tech head

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

My other car has a brake load valve on it and no ABS, so they're not that old :P (or maybe my car is!) I've had the ABS disconnected on all 4 VX's I've had and they all drove just fine, one had 16/17 wheels too.

#22 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Isn't the main point of ABS being able to control and steer the car when braking hard?

#23 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Interesting. Hadn't though of that, however, there is an ultimate maximum rear-ward bias dictated by the brake pipe diameter. Surely with the ABS off (deactivated by snipping a speed sensor wire on one wheel in effect) this is the default bias? or would the default bias be further toward the front than just the pipe distribution allows? Negating that the issue is surely the rear wheels locking whilst the fronts are still rotating no? This reminds me to that advert a few years ago where the fronts on a old Rover 200 were locked whilst the rears still rotating (slow motion road safety ad). Would this valve have not shifted the bias as far rearward as possible in this scenario, and yet the rear wheels are still rotating despite hugely decreased load and max braking force? Correct me if I am wrong please. Intrested to understand :)

#24 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

:yeahthat: , but was there not some fail-safe "low rear bias" setting when the ABS is not working properly? Remember reading about that here some time ago...

#25 C43

C43

• Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Lotus Europa.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

the part number of the Lotus Europa 4 channel unit is S108196009 F. I am not desperate to sell as I am thinking the next owner may want to fit std wheels and tyres and go back to std ABS setup but if you want it make me a reasonable offer. cheers C43

#26 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

£5 :gayfight:

#27 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:fast lightweight cars
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

the part number of the Lotus Europa 4 channel unit is S108196009 F.

The p/n of the buggy stock ABS unit I ripped off my Opel Speedster Turbo (basically a VXT220) is S108196009 D. Would not give a flying f**k on the letter. That's probably the same shitty unit with the same shitty behaviour. Interesting info! :mellow:
(sorry for the graphic language, but the stock ABS sucks so much, it would be catastrophic knowing Lotus continued to use it in the Europa S!)

Posted Image
top: lotus elise/exige ABS ECU
bottom: opel speedster turbo ABS ECU

and that's how the packaging ot the elise/exige ABS looks like:

Posted Image

Edited by cs_, 29 July 2011 - 07:06 PM.

#28 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Fast road cars, trackdays & sprints, snowboarding.

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

I am not desperate to sell as I am thinking the next owner may want to fit std wheels and tyres and go back to std ABS setup but if you want it make me a reasonable offer.

cheers

C43

PM sent.

#29 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

The p/n of the buggy stock ABS unit I ripped off my Opel Speedster Turbo (basically a VXT220) is S108196009 D. Would not give a flying f**k on the letter. That's probably the same shitty unit with the same shitty behaviour. Interesting info! :mellow:
(sorry for the graphic language, but the stock ABS sucks so much, it would be catastrophic knowing Lotus continued to use it in the Europa S!)

top: lotus elise/exige ABS ECU
bottom: opel speedster turbo ABS ECU

and that's how the packaging ot the elise/exige ABS looks like:

Thanks for posting the pictures up with all the part numbers. If I was looking for a second hand 111R one would I need to go off the S108196012 number on the sticker or is the Lotus part number on the item as well as on the bag if you bought it new?

chinky chinky

ETA: What other models are these fitted to besides the 111R? Any other Elises & Exiges?

Edited by iVXT, 31 July 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#30 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

I have tried the (sh*t) search function on here but I seem to remember there was a GROUP BUY on the Exige unit. Best regards, Paulie

#31 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:01 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures up with all the part numbers. If I was looking for a second hand 111R one would I need to go off the S108196012 number on the sticker or is the Lotus part number on the item as well as on the bag if you bought it new?

As far as I know the A120...-number is the Lotus P/N and the S108...-number is the TRW P/N, which is the firm in germany where the ABS has been developed and still is manufactured.

Whe did some group buys here from germany. First time the order has been placed at some british Lotus parts dealer, but the last group buys ran at a german tuning firm. The funny part is, they ordered the ABS ECUs at Lotus/UK, who then ordered the whole bunch of ECUs at TRW/Germany. So the ABS ECUs are manufactured in germany, go to UK and then back to germany. And this for a much cheaper price than any other way we found.:wacko:

Edited by cs_, 01 August 2011 - 06:02 AM.

#32 C43

C43

• Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Lotus Europa.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi CS as you say it is always impossible to know what to believe on these forums but I have to say I am very sceptical that a ABS setup to run on 16" front wheels will work on 17" without resetting the constants which are a hard learn. They could not afford to learn on the fly as the first time you start the car, wheel spin away and then jam on the brakes to avoid an accident the ABS will be miles out of calibration. The Europa unit is setup for 17" which we all know and is 4 channel which again we all know. Whereas I believe the VX unit is 2 channel. The Europa unit does ice mode, they all do, but the extra channel means it comes in later. cheers C43

#33 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

My mate runs the 111R ABS with 235-40-17 and 205-40-17's for some time now. No problems reported... :closedeyes:

#34 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

I have just fitted an Exige ABS unit which was in the forsale section last month, wow is all I can say. My OEM unit was shocking and on the line of undrivable. It would cut in at random points and 90% of the time after going over 40mph+. I needed to use the handbrake every now and again to stop in time, and even with a fluid change this done nothing. Did the first step and with the ABS cut off, which worked great but the front left wheel would lock up under heavy braking. If it was doing this in the dry god knows what it would be like in the wet or on snow/ice. Fitted the Exige unit yesterday, it works great and makes the car come alive in that area. Works if you need it to but has not bit once like the old one. So IMHO its a must for the everyday driver who can't predict every road condition. Wheels are 16" front, 17" rear. Part number is.....( Lotus TRW 13091813 S108196012 B )

Edited by ArticMonkey, 01 August 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#35 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

as you say it is always impossible to know what to believe on these forums but I have to say I am very sceptical that a ABS setup to run on 16" front wheels will work on 17" without resetting the constants which are a hard learn

Todays ABS units are self learning, they cope with almost any wheel diameter difference. You don't belive that? Perhaps you even do not believe that we have here around a hundred converted VXs and most if not every one of them with 17" rims front and rear and many different wheel diameter ratios. Some drive 205/40 front and 235/40 back which makes about 4% difference. Some others (like me) drive 215/45 front and 245/40 rear which only does some 0.4% difference. It's absolutely irrelevant which diameter all these folks drive on their cars, not one of them reported any issues with the ABS. All feedbacks I've got were overwhelming in terms of how much better this ABS works in addition to not showing the erraneous behaviour of the original Vauxhall ABS.

You may believe it. Or don't. But the latter would implicate that all the many people actually having experience with the ABS are wrong and you with a believe are right. ;)

Anyway, I don't have to evangelize anyone of you for anything. I love my Lotus ABS and for me it's the very best I could do to my car in terms of safety. Even if I would be the only one who has done it. Do it. Or don't. Your decision. I made mine.

Edited by cs_, 01 August 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#36 Hark

Hark

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

With just skimming the topic. What is the estimated cost of the unit inc fitting and coding would you say?

#37 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

Fitted the Exige unit yesterday, it works great and makes the car come alive in that area. Works if you need it to but has not bit once like the old one. So IMHO its a must for the everyday driver who can't predict every road condition. Wheels are 16" front, 17" rear.

Good isn't it? Definitely worthwhile, especially if you can pick up a used controller at a decent price.

#38 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:20 AM

The Europa unit is setup for 17" which we all know and is 4 channel which again we all know.C43

Hi,

How do you know that the Europa unit is four channel ??

#39 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

Presumably because Lotus have never used a 2-channel setup like we have on the VX. Everything they've used has been 4-channel.

#40 Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

For what it's worth I've done some investigation (through Vauxhall) and found the following:
(im sure most people already know this and it's just me who didn't...)

Apparently a recall was scheduled between 2002 and 2008 to the stock ABS unit on the vx220.

The software/module upgrade was to fix the following issue:-
When accelerating hard and then immediately moving your foot from accelerator pedal to brake pedal, the brake pedal can become hard.
The recall record on my car show this as "expired" but *not* completed.

So given that im experiencing exactly this behaviour and that the recall doesn't say it was completed on my car i think im going to get the module/software update first. (requires ordering the module from Germany)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users