• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

I really need to get one of these, anyone else?

#42 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

Presumably because Lotus have never used a 2-channel setup like we have on the VX. Everything they've used has been 4-channel.

But the part number given above is the same as a VX part number. Only the suffix letter is different but the suffix letter is a supply code only.

The thing is that Deroure Ltd sell the exige unit at £434.71 and the Europa unit at £279.82

My link

Edited by 2-20, 02 August 2011 - 11:44 AM.

#43 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Presumably because Lotus have never used a 2-channel setup like we have on the VX. Everything they've used has been 4-channel.

But the part number given above is the same as a VX part number. Only the suffix letter is different but the suffix letter is a supply code only.

The thing is that Deroure Ltd sell the exige unit at £434.71 and the Europa unit at £279.82

My link

:yeahthat:

I really doubt that Lotus would have gone to the expense of recalibrating the 4 channel system for such a small production run (esspecially due it's original design brief)

#44 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Fitted the Exige unit yesterday, it works great and makes the car come alive in that area. Works if you need it to but has not bit once like the old one. So IMHO its a must for the everyday driver who can't predict every road condition. Wheels are 16" front, 17" rear.

Good isn't it? Definitely worthwhile, especially if you can pick up a used controller at a decent price.

Like night and day mate, I remember you telling me at fabs BBQ you had it fitted.

For £300 all in with it already unlocked I couldnt say no. I'll sell it for that if/when I flog the car so no money down in some respects.

Previouse owner used his VX on track with this unit on, having had my wheel lock up when the ABS was cut on mine I'd say I'll do the same.

End of the day I'd pay the money for this unit 'new' if it's going to keep me on the road an not in a ditch/up someone's ass.

#45 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

For what it's worth I've done some investigation (through Vauxhall) and found the following:
(im sure most people already know this and it's just me who didn't...)

Apparently a recall was scheduled between 2002 and 2008 to the stock ABS unit on the vx220.

The software/module upgrade was to fix the following issue:-
When accelerating hard and then immediately moving your foot from accelerator pedal to brake pedal, the brake pedal can become hard.
The recall record on my car show this as "expired" but *not* completed.

So given that im experiencing exactly this behaviour and that the recall doesn't say it was completed on my car i think im going to get the module/software update first. (requires ordering the module from Germany)

I got exactly that, which I found was fixed entirely with the ABS completely turned off.

#46 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

For what it's worth I've done some investigation (through Vauxhall) and found the following:

Apparently a recall was scheduled between 2002 and 2008 to the stock ABS unit on the vx220.

When accelerating hard and then immediately moving your foot from accelerator pedal to brake pedal, the brake pedal can become hard.

So given that im experiencing exactly this behaviour and that the recall doesn't say it was completed on my car i think im going to get the module/software update first. (requires ordering the module from Germany)

I got exactly that, which I found was fixed entirely with the ABS completely turned off.

Second this to, but mine is a 2001 so would prob be out of the recal group.

If your happy with the wheels locking up at low speeds and hard braking then just snip the yellow wire on your ABS.

#47 Muncher

Muncher

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

If your happy with the wheels locking up at low speeds and hard braking then just snip the yellow wire on your ABS.

I've gut a cutoff switch. I've also got a vacuum servo reserve canister fitted in an attempt to fix that issue.

#48 Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

Not sure what you guys are saying....the recall software/module update isn't worth getting? Currently my car is running an ABS module that is known to exhibit this behaviour. Presumably if Vauxhall identified this issue and provided a fix for, in their words *exactly* the behaviour the car is suffering from then surely it's worth giving it a try?

#49 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Except that their fix won't fix it as they say there's nothing wrong with the existing setup and that's how it's meant to behave.

#50 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

"Deroure Ltd sell the exige unit at £434.71 and the Europa unit at £279.82" Do you need me to investigate any differences with my tame lotus man? I'd need to know exactly what you're wanting to know so I ask the right questions.

#51 Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Except that their fix won't fix it as they say there's nothing wrong with the existing setup and that's how it's meant to behave.

I'm really confused now.
Vauxhall have quite clearly stated there is an issue with that version of the ABS (and updated 1000's of cars at their own expense).

#52 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

"Deroure Ltd sell the exige unit at £434.71 and the Europa unit at £279.82"

Do you need me to investigate any differences with my tame lotus man? I'd need to know exactly what you're wanting to know so I ask the right questions.

I'd like to know if the Europa ABS actuator is the same as the VX one and consequently is not a 4 channel unit.

Thanks

#53 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

I'm really confused now.
Vauxhall have quite clearly stated there is an issue with that version of the ABS (and updated 1000's of cars at their own expense).

Not true, they clearly stated there was NO issue with first version of the calibration, they tested it on track with Lotus and published deceleration numbers and so on (I guess the publication may be found archived somewhere on the bench).
Yet the "fixed" recalled version was only slightly better regarding the "issue".

I agree the VX ABS is very poor... but honestly some other modern production cars are not better at all.
Still the Exige/Elise ABS is really very good and since I fitted it I never deactived it again, even on track where it's just perfect.

#54 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

Do you need me to investigate any differences with my tame lotus man? I'd need to know exactly what you're wanting to know so I ask the right questions.

I'd like to know if the Europa ABS actuator is the same as the VX one and consequently is not a 4 channel unit.

Thanks

I'd like to know if the Elise 111R item is the same as that fitted to the VXR220 as I remember reading that was 4 channel & designed to work with the 16"/17" wheel combo?

Also the price of the VXR220 unit & if it's the same part numbers.

Cheers.

#55 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thanks

:yeahthat:
could be a cheap 4 channel

#56 Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Guest_Loadstar (Guest)

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

Okay - so to summarise then... VX Stock ABS - Very Poor, suffers from general crapness and pedal lock when switching from accelerator pedal to brake pedal quickly. VX Recall/Update - Not a mandatory recall which people are suggesting was just lip service to a more complicated issue with the ABS and didnt fix it. Europa ABS - Don't really understand whether this is an option or any better than teh VX one..? Exige ABS - People on here say: 1) Direct Swap but reset needed by lotus, 2) Only works on 16/17 combo wheels 3) Much, much better operation I have a VX220 NA with 17 inch wheels - does the exige abs unit work (or cannot it be recalibrated) to work with 17's?

Edited by Loadstar, 03 August 2011 - 07:39 AM.

#57 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Thanks

Europa and VX is the same. I'll get onto the rest. Is there enough interest in elise/exige abs units for me to organise a group buy? I can see what options are available wrt the reset too.

#58 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

Thanks

I'd like to know if the Elise 111R item is the same as that fitted to the VXR220 as I remember reading that was 4 channel & designed to work with the 16"/17" wheel combo?

Cheers.

I'll try on that one. Does anyone have a VXR module who would be willing to read off the lotus part no?

#59 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

Is there not already a group buy that fell on it's face rather quick?

#60 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

Thanks

Cheers.

I'll try on that one. Does anyone have a VXR module who would be willing to read off the lotus part no?

Found this about the vxr abs unit http://www.verboom.n...0422/index.html but also read another thread that one guy said a late vxt unit was better for him. Not too sure about that though.

I was wondering if the reset/programming needs to be done on each individual car a unit is fitted to or could a few be done on one car (say all at one time) then just swapped over to each individual car.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users