128 replies to this topic

#81 Lou_m

Lou_m

Addicted to Hooning

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, cycling

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

For what it's worth I've done some investigation (through Vauxhall) and found the following:
(im sure most people already know this and it's just me who didn't...)

Apparently a recall was scheduled between 2002 and 2008 to the stock ABS unit on the vx220.

The software/module upgrade was to fix the following issue:-
When accelerating hard and then immediately moving your foot from accelerator pedal to brake pedal, the brake pedal can become hard.
The recall record on my car show this as "expired" but *not* completed.

So given that im experiencing exactly this behaviour and that the recall doesn't say it was completed on my car i think im going to get the module/software update first. (requires ordering the module from Germany)

Mine does exactly the same, and mine is a 05 plate turbo. No idea if the update has been carried out though. I went down the ABS cut off switch and on track in the wet it has been perfect(with the abs off). I'm interested in an Elise/Exige abs unit price dependent.

#82 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

If you fit the Exige unit you will have to swap back to do the Vaux recommended BRAKE BLEED process which includes running a hand held device to control the brake bleed routine. Once brakes are bled then refit the Exige unit. Best regards, Paul

#83 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:19 AM

After Bruntingthorpe today I would say that Exige brain is a big advantage for track use. Does not cut in too early caussing loss of braking. The above is confidence inspiring for road use. Best regards, Paul

#84 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Unit worked ace at Bruntingthorpe at the weekend. Brake performance was awesome. Combination of fresh Motul RBF 600, Exige ABS brain & (probably to lesser extent) braided hoses worked really well. I was outbraking many exotic and modified vehicles at the end of the long straight. Best regards, Paul

Edited by Paulus H, 14 August 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#85 cs_

cs_

• Pip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:fast lightweight cars
    computers
    music
    home & family

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

:yeahthat: chinky chinky

#86 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Is anyone having a picture of the unit (Lotus TRW 13091813 S108196012 B ABS unit) So I know whatto change on my car?! BR, Per

#87 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

The units are identical, other then the sticker on it.

Posted Image

http://www.verboom.n...0422/index.html

#88 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Correction on above. There seem to be units with lotus sticker, yet 2 channel units: This should be the numbers on them: S108196009 + 13091809 + 13216609

#89 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Kind regards, Paul

Posted Image

#90 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

Anybody know where the first one comes from? (ecu unit is identical)
Posted Image

#91 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

S108196002 = ABS module Opel Vectra B???

#92 Icecold76

Icecold76

• 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

http://car-ecu-repai...170159-279.html

#93 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

If you fit the Exige unit you will have to swap back to do the Vaux recommended BRAKE BLEED process which includes running a hand held device to control the brake bleed routine.

Once brakes are bled then refit the Exige unit.

Best regards, Paul

Just out of interest why would changing the ecu affect the bleed process?

Kind regards, Paul

Posted Image

So just to clarify before I try to get one. The one that is the 4 channel Elise/Exige unit has these part numbers

S1081960012
TRW 13091813
Lotus A120J6004S

Cheers.

#94 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

If you fit the Exige unit you will have to swap back to do the Vaux recommended BRAKE BLEED process which includes running a hand held device to control the brake bleed routine.

Once brakes are bled then refit the Exige unit.

Best regards, Paul

Just out of interest why would changing the ecu affect the bleed process?

The offical vauxhall method to remove any air is to activate the ABS using a tech2, however pretty much everyone (including dealers) just uses invert the front caliper method

#95 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

Is the abs activation for bleeding comparable with using the bleed nipple on the gearbox?

#96 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

Unfortunately inverting the calliper does not remove air from the ABS unit. Inverting the calliper is a usefull work around. If you are really committed to getting all the air out of the system you use the Tech 2...... And yes the 111R is the 4 channel version. However I would go with the part numbers rather than what vehicle the unit has come from. The "brain" is so easy to change over it would be easy for someone to swap a brain in a crashed vehicle for the 2 channel version. Just to add a little more spice to the debate, I am not sure the Exige/111R unit works better than std one due to being 4 channel. It could be as simple as the Exige unit just has a higher threshold before triggering anit lock. Kind regards, Paul

#97 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the explanation about why tech2 for the bleed process guys. Shame once replaced the 4 channel unit isn't recognised but like you say you'd just have to swap back & forth between units at the time. How do the vxr220 guys go on if they happen to take it to vauxhall? You'd have though the compatibility would of been added to tech2. Guessing so few made wasn't top of they're list! Would you say the change of abs ecu is worth the high new price for the improvement gained if you can't find one second hand? Cheers.

#98 Paulus H

Paulus H

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Personally I think if you can find one second hand it is a no brainer. If you have to buy new that's a different thing. Considering the new price it becomes a case of whether you can live with ABS deactivation switch and the compromises that come with this change. Kind regards, Paul

#99 iVXT

iVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Have to keep a look out for a good price second hand one for sure. Think if the abs was defeated with a switch it would drive me mad with the dash light glaring at me all the time. Cheers.

#100 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Think if the abs was defeated with a switch it would drive me mad with the dash light glaring at me all the time.

For me that little light is the car telling me "i'm not gonna kill you while this is glowing".
I kind of like not getting killed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users