• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

Found my fan problem, so it should work ok now for only 1 fan: On above 99*C, Off again below 95*C. (I have some low and high speed dual fan settings...) Think I better make the car drivable quickly. chinky chinky

#42 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

Think I better make the car drivable quickly. chinky chinky

sept 21st 2 hours at zandvoort with gummen.org thumbsup

#43 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:25 PM

Think I better make the car drivable quickly. chinky chinky

sept 21st 2 hours at zandvoort with gummen.org thumbsup

I know, but forget that one Stefan. :sleepy: (Maybe Rob will join you there)

Need to find some time to finish this side and then start working on the front. And first I will need a decent pre-rad.

#44 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

Yesterday changed the fan settings in the mapping and that works perfect now with my single "low fan setting". Had the engine running longer today and saw on my logs that the Long Term Fuel Trims were already reaching 19.5% average in the low load/idle area. That's pretty off and with those other corrected settings I do not trust that Intense mapping very much... So today I copied and loaded an official GM stage 2 mapping as a base map. These should be very safe (and a bit rich on WOT), but it already showed much less fuel trim corrections. And the MAF sensor is also working again. thumbsup (Will decide later if I delete the MAF sensor, as that makes one sensor less for a 2,2 ecu conversion.) One problem remains and that is the VSS speed sensor signal. The LSJ ecu does not accept the VX ABS pulse signal and seem to need a real VR-sensor sine wave. Tried tapping into the left rear sensor wire (the Stack speedo one), but that does not work and also kills the speedo readout (and with that the ABS functionality) Hmmmm... I want to drive this thing with a working Speedo and a working VSS signal (the ecu uses that for many functions), so decided that the ABS has to go for now => Left rear provides the normal ABS/Stack signal, pulled out the right rear ABS connector and that now gives me a perfect ecu VSS signal. :closedeyes: So no ABS for now until I sort out if I can easily modify that ABS square wave signal or can combine/splice into the ABS VR-sensor signals. (Any spark heads here? Solutions via PM please.) Going to work on the chargecooler system now, as I saw how high the IAT2 inlet temps got without coolant in the Laminova's. Heatsoaked to above 70*C, just idling! (I'm very curious how high the inlet temps get on the Stage 1 SC's without any chargecooling...)

Edited by Exmantaa, 14 September 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#45 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

A quick update: Could not spend much time on my project, but really wanted to make a dyno day coming Saturday so made some long hours this week to make it at least driveable. Pro Alloy pre-rad is finally fitted (had some delivery troubles), but spend most of my time on removing and restoring rusted clam bolts on this VX, or simply correcting badly fitted parts... :angry2: So today the last big things were fitted, together with some lowered front mounts and Exige shocks (it should handle a bit too). Bonnets were on tonight and my 1st drive was to to the pump to fill her up with some 98 unleaded. The LSJ seem to hang already pretty wel on the pedal with this GM base map and, although on a damp road, wheelspin was simply too easy in 1st & 2nd. :D But after filling up and carefully exploiting some full throttle spurts in 3 & 4 (this LSJ feels more powerfull than my 2.2 stage 2 SC and it's a bit nerving for me in a wrong sided RHD car on a still damp road in the dark...), I experienced something else besides the big shove from the back; clutch slip!! :angry: And although it's one of the better "failures" one can have (or better; too much power...) this means the engine has to come out again to replace the std Turbo clutch with something better. Shame, as I hoped to survive with this turbo unit till my full Harrop conversion. (Well, it needed a Tullett mani and balancer removal anyway, but I'm still feeling a bit "Nevved" now...) That rolling road session Saturday is now useless, but will at least finish it for an MOT and just drive it to learn more about the HPT mapping. Just cannot fully nail the throttle. :happy:

Edited by Exmantaa, 13 October 2011 - 12:20 AM.

#46 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

Do you have that much torque it's causing the clutch slip or do you think the clutch is duff?

#47 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:01 PM

Small update; car got it's "APK" (Dutch MOT) today, so now I can finally drive it legally on the road and start to do some tuning to improve the mapping. The other good news is that the clutch seems to hold now, so that problem is at least postponed till later. :rolleyes: My Tullett 3" manifold is also on it's way, only need to silence my system down a bit. Don't like the noise.

Edited by Exmantaa, 18 October 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#48 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Small update; car got it's "APK" (Dutch MOT) today, so now I can finally drive it legally on the road and start to do some tuning to improve the mapping.
The other good news is that the clutch seems to hold now, so that problem is at least postponed till later. :rolleyes:

My Tullett 3" manifold is also on it's way, only need to silence my system down a bit. Don't like the noise.

Off topic - does a turbo clutch an N/A gearbox / flywheel then, or is the LSJ different again?

#49 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

The 2.0 LSJ ecotec (= Saab B207 lump) has an 8 bolt crank/flywheel, so the Z22SE's 6 bolt flywheel does not fit. Z20LET is also different, but luckily an C20XE/LET flywheel shares the same pattern and has a similar shaped pot flywheel that suits the F23 box. thumbsup It was a direct fit and as the Z20LET - F23 Turbo clutch is similar to the Z22's, that was also a 1:1 fit. And the clutch now seems to hold the power. :happy:

Edited by Exmantaa, 18 October 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#50 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Update ? :P

#51 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

I had a piggyback ride with it this weekend. Very nice, and extremely eager on the throttle. Very different compared to the stock z22se with an M62 bolted on.

#52 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yep, shorter stroke and much lighter crank...

#53 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sorry, did lot's of tinkering and playing with the tune, but not much for an update. I'm used to it now, but as Smiley said the trottle response is nice and direct. Not only due to engine mechanics (I only have a lighter stock flywheel fitted), but mostly due to a proper SC mapping. And something Smiley can maybe also better judge, but on this engine the Tullet 2,5" muffler sounds quieter than on an SC-ed 2,2. (Have a Piper 200cell cat pipe fitted in front) Think that is due to a better ignition map, but it's still to loud for my taste. Something else, the 2.0 LSJ is a lot more eager in the top end and I heard that Smiley's driver (Speedster4fun) that day hit the 7100rpm limiter a few times before he expected it. :happy: (He has a Stage2+ SC) The HPTuners editor and engine scanner tool are very easy to use once you know what each table is doing. The initial road mapping is easy with a wideband O2 sensor feedback in the scans, but fine tuning takes more time and there are sooooo many tables in the LSJ ecu to tinker with. :huh: Now first gathering parts for an LHD conversion and then back to the engine and ecu. Still need to work out an ECT pwm signal for the Stack and properly split the ecu speed signal from an ABS sensor. In the meantime we're building on a 2nd LSJ set-up from a Z20NET engine and there are some LSJ ecu motions in the UK goin on. thumbsup

#54 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

i fancy building an LSJ engine next :D

#55 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

:ninja: :D

#56 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

thumbsup. Always need someone to do it first, and since Muncher has taken too long

#57 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

i have the same block and head fitted :tt: vx220 needs to be 2.2 in my world otherwise its a vx200 :P

#58 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

that would make turdos VX200Ts :P

#59 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

It just needs to work, in my book. :P

#60 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

exactly and do you want a vx200? no you do not :P oh and mine works, just not to its optimum at the moment :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users