• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 dude

dude

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:18 PM

so what will you do now?? if the courtenay wheel is so fragile as he say, maybe you should cancel you´re order.

#22 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:30 PM

No, it seems that his testing must be more or less related to drag-racing. Sinter clutch is not in my plans either. I expect my clutch to last +200 000 km so the heat will never be a problem. And my 170 horses "dreamt by AmD" will not make life hard for the flywheel :lol: :lol: (they spun me off the road, tho :unsure: )

#23 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:28 PM

Plus I hope that Courtenay have performed at least some testing before releasing the product :unsure: ..it seems a nice figure 5,6 kg ...."lagom" you know Anders ;)

#24 dude

dude

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:13 PM

Plus I hope that Courtenay have performed at least some testing before releasing the product :unsure:

..it seems a nice figure 5,6 kg ...."lagom" you know Anders ;)

you´ll need some serious weightwatching with that flywheel B)

what does "lagom" mean :D :D

#25 Jon

Jon

• Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:05 AM

The only unit we have sold in Europe is in Franch and this was the old style remachined unit for the Turbo not the 2.2. If this was a 2.2, then it is nonsense, and is not ours. This product has only been released for 9 weeks (Madg's supercharged car being the first) and we can acount every unit so far, all of which have been installed in our workshop !! I think someone may be trying to discredit ours as they have thier own to sell. :o

#26 dude

dude

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:45 PM

The only unit we have sold in Europe is in Franch and this was the old style remachined unit for the Turbo not the 2.2.
If this was a 2.2, then it is nonsense, and is not ours. This product has only been released for 9 weeks (Madg's supercharged car being the first) and we can acount every unit so far, all of which have been installed in our workshop !!
I think someone may be trying to discredit ours as they have thier own to sell. :o

would be interesting to hear what flywheel they´ve been using if it´s not the one they claim.

#27 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

I posted on the german forum so let´s wait and see......

#28 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:34 PM

From the german forum: "The problems were referred from England, and it was 2 flywheels used in a Corsa. They removed the flywheels again, because there were only problems after a burnout (or the burnt flywheel, dunno which) " It seems that the guy is from EDC. Interesting anyway. Anyone know more of the Corsa??

#29 ChrisR

ChrisR

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:13 AM

I have some Fidanza aluminium flywheels for the X20XEV and Z20LET engines left over from a group buy on other vauxhall forums.

They weigh 3.4kg and have a replaceable hardened steel clutch contact surface should you ever wear it down.

They normally retail at £350ish, I managed to get them for £240. Delivery would be either £18.50 special delivery (preferred) or £10 parcel post with extra insurance(£500).

This is one for a c20let engine in a calibra, the only difference to the Z20let one is only 6 flywheel to crank bolts instead of 8

Flywheel picture

#30 Thorney

Thorney

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts
  • Interests:Global domination.

Fluffy bunny rabbits.

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:33 AM

Thought it seemed reasonably priced at £225 compared to the horrific £370 that AmD quoted me!! :o

And the Courtenay wheel is a brand new item, while AmD just machine the standard one. And the court item is a mere 5,6 kg compared to the 7 kg AmD lump (because they use stronger steel)

I immediately placed an order!! :groupjump:

Are there any drawbacks :(

I checked into this.........I dont know what you were told but the cost of a lightened flywheel is actually £200 not £370.

AmD have done quite a few stage 3's now and they are working well.

Rubber has one as does Shiny Andy and they seem to like it thumbsup

#31 Big_Si

Big_Si

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:45 AM

I checked into this.........I dont know what you were told but the cost of a lightened flywheel is actually £200 not £370.

including fitting perhaps??

#32 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:00 PM

They told me £370+VAT. I was shocked since I seem to remember £170 :o . Anyway, if I don´t want to dismantle the car and then send away the flywheel to have it machined, then a Billet one is preferable. And "Pascal" on the speedster forum removed 2,5 kg in a lathe - free! thumbsup

Edited by clipping_point, 01 July 2004 - 12:01 PM.

#33 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:08 PM

Nutting in me mailbox this day... :( Still waiting for my shiny new flywheel :rolleyes:

#34 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:31 AM

*BUMP* Nutting in me mailbox this day... :angry: Still waiting for my shiny new flywheel :flame:

#35 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:05 PM

And "Pascal" on the speedster forum removed 2,5 kg in a lathe - free! thumbsup

that is as much as you can remove from the std fwheel w/out affecting its strength too much, exp if you plan supercharging....

#36 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:21 AM

*BUMP* Still haven´t received my flywheel :beat: :flame:

#37 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:06 PM

Got it! Looks like the first price in a competition in its chromium glare. THIS will be interesting...story continues.

Attached Files

#38 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

I prepared a guide for my own flywheel replacement, with the help of "dude´s" expertise. I will soon test it in practice. Please correct me if I´m wrong somewhere. This is a 3-4 hr job if the rear clam and undertrays are removed. Disassembly 1. Drain the gear box oil. 2. Remove the upright+the left drive shaft 3. Unscrew el. wiring, water hoses, clutch hydraulics as well as the gear shift cables. 4. Remove all bolts except the 2 uppermost at the gear box flange to the engine. 5. Remove engine supports rear, front and left. (fixate the engine with a engine hoist before the cushions are removed). 6. Pry loose the right hand drive shaft from the gear box and then remove the last 2 screws holding the gear box to the engine. 7. Pull away the gear box towards the left to disengage from the engine, while the right hand drive shaft slides out from the gear box. 8. Loosen all screws to pressure plate in a cross-wise manner and finally remove the bolts holding the flywheel. Refittning Generally the assembly is in the reverse order 1. Fit the flywheel to the crankshaft. Use Loc-tite to secure the bolts 2. Fit the clutch friction plate, and the pressure plate. Tighten the bolts cross-wise. Use Loc-tite to secure the bolts 3. Slide the gear box onto the left side of the engine. Take care that right the drive shaft enters the gear box. 4. Refit all engine supports and lower the engine. 5. Re-fit the gear shift cables, clutch hydraulics el. Wiring and any water hoses. 6. Refit the left side drive shaft and the upright. 7. Refill the gear box with oil.

#39 Ricky2772

Ricky2772

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,685 posts
  • Interests:For those who grasp for Hir beyond the horizon of usual consciousness, preparing for the time when something powerful will present Hir-Self This advise is given...

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:57 AM

Refitting

I was spectating when my tuner did this job...
few pointers:
make sure you use a torque wrench!!!

before refitting, make sure the thckness of the original combo is the same as the new installment, or you will fcuk up the clutch master cylinder!
(opel monkeys did that! :beat: )
also make sure the new flyw. fits perfectly and there is clearance all around the edge, where the pressure plate moves in and out....

keep it perfectly clean and degreased !!!

bleed the clutch afterward.

have fun! B)

#40 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:04 AM

OK! Anyone know which torque shall be used for flywheel and pressure plate bolts? And other ones as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users