• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:09 PM

It can be done by a beginner, but I think the rear clam should be removed. And the removal of the gear box is reasonably straightforward. But the refitting and aligning can be tricky (I actually had the help of a skilled mechanic for this part). Guessing: Removal of rear clam 5 hrs Removal of gear box 5 hrs Refitting and bleeding 5 hrs Refitting of rear clam 5 hrs Reasonably straightforward, but a lot of work!

#62 da_murphster

da_murphster

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:30 AM

well they're hardly quing up to join me in my quest for a cheap flywheel fitting session :( Possibly looks a bit hard anyway!! I might try and organise this properly when I'm back in the UK, even if i's just all the preparitory "easy" work (like clam off etc) to reduce the labour costs......

#63 Jase_MK

Jase_MK

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:42 AM

well they're hardly quing up to join me in my quest for a cheap flywheel fitting session

Was thinking of doing this next year but so far put off by the labour/work involved. Sounds like you'd struggle to get it done in a weekend.

#64 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:10 AM

Clocked a dazzling 13.95 for the 1/4 mile @105 mph last nite with my N/A with AMD stage 2 and Courtenay 5 kg flywheel. Seems I got lucky with optimal gear changes, and as dubinicki who recorded a ET 14.35 it is logical to have an improvement with the flywheel

Edited by clipping_point, 29 September 2004 - 10:11 AM.

#65 da_murphster

da_murphster

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:39 PM

I want I want I want Cant afford labour charge Cant afford labour charge Cant afford labour charge :angry:

#66 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 06:19 PM

Any small workshop with a car lift and a gear box lift may be skilled enough for the job. I think on Rickys car the replaced the clutch without removing the clam. So you could ask around, I suppose :rolleyes:

#67 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:20 PM

Just started to do this job (my new billet flywheel arrived last week). In my view it is a MAJOR operation. Spent one day just getting the rear clamshell off. Apart from the steps so far mentioned the exhaust manifold has to be disconneted and I've found that its impossible to lower the engine sufficiently to get the gearbox off while leaving the righthand engine mount attached since the engine/box fouls the chassis. Best to remove the r/h engine mount too then you can move the engine laterally. Also discovered its best to remove both left and right rear suspension units and drive shafts. By the way the correct (according to Vauxhall) torque for the flywheel bolts is: 53 NM (39 Lbf ft) plus angle tighten 25degrees. Think the figures earlier cited are over the top. Will report further as things (hopefully) progress. Griffo

#68 clipping_point

clipping_point

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:40 AM

Interesting points! However I did in the way I described it. The right support was the only one I left in place. The exhaust manifold was not removed, see piccy. I removed both drive shafts, but it may not be necessary. You will notice a lot more wheel spin, when you´re finished. thumbsup I´m prolly proceeding with intake/cam work on mine to make it even more racy.

Attached Files

#69 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:01 PM

I've never sent a pic before. So here goes. So far gearbox off, clutch off and waiting for a new set of flywheel bolts from Vauxhall. cheers griffo

Attached Files

Edited by rubber, 08 October 2004 - 08:07 PM.

#70 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:45 PM

Further progress report. New flywheel on (the clutch bolts supplied by Courtney were useless -- re-use the originals) MAJOR hassle getting the box to mate up again with the engine -- two people, two hours and a lot of swearing. Should all be downhill from here on. Griffo

#71 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 07:01 PM

Griffo Is that a Regal 4 branch exhaust manifold? Paul

#72 barrybethel

barrybethel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 07:52 AM

Grifo You are a much braver man than me mate. By the way, have you noticed any opportunities for further weight loss with your clam off?

#73 griffo

griffo

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 03:57 PM

Yes it is a Regal four-branch exhaust. Since the primaries are not of equal length I doubt it adds much power but its considerably lighter than the cast iron OE item. On the lightening issue - I have removed the engine lifter eyes on the head (you can always bolt them back on if you have to lift the engine) and removed the pre-cat and the main cat (which saves a lot of weight). I would like to bung away all that spaghetti of pipe work and charcoal filter attached to the fuel tank/filler and just have a simple breather but I haven't been brave enough yet. Update on the flywheel job -- all the engine mounts are back on and I'm feeling a bit more relaxed about the re-build. cheers Griffo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users