MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

I occurred to me yesterday that its obvious why theres more oil blowing out now. As the pipe is now under the diffuser its directly in a strong airflow so there is a vacuum forming and actually sucking air and the oil mist out. Thats sounds right to me, anyone else?
Will be moving it again, out of the airflow and putting the filter back on.

Martin s

Edited by MartinS, 26 May 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#82 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

I very much doubt it. In theory maybe, in practice I doubt there is enough air pressure to cause vacuum.

#83 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Maybe some sort of syphoning effect now the exit is lower than the sump? Has anyone checked what do the guys in the US do and their oil consumption? Is it an option to vent back into the intake manifold but post the laminovers?

#84 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

As the pipe is now under the diffuser its directly in a strong airflow so there is a vacuum forming and actually sucking air and the oil mist out.

Dunno, my breather hose protrudes beneath the diffuser by about 10mm and I even cut the end of the hose to make the most of any airflow effect and still no heavy breathing.

#85 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

Had the new breather pipe mod fitted today at Snetterton. Really impressed as didn't lose any oil so will be keeping it on. Might consider a very slight re routing of the pipe work but only to make the filler cap seat better. Would recommend to others :)

#86 VIX

VIX

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

I'm fairly sure I never lost anything significant that way. Most of what ended up in the engine breather catch tank when I had one fitted was orange water.

Edited by VIX, 03 June 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#87 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Sticky, where does the oem breather go from your cam cover?

#88 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

Sticky, where does the oem breather go from your cam cover?

I have a small oil/air separator down near the o/s air intake (don't have tubby ears) but after today I'm really not sure I need it as it didn't collect anything. Might just put a small breather filter on the oem outlet.

#89 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Sticky, don't take this a criticism of what you're doing, at least your doing your own investigations. I don't know how much track work you did at Snet but to use no oil at all in itself is not right. A mechanic friend of mine said to me when i explained my cars situation was he would be more worried if the car wasn't using a bit of oil. That said there are limits. I have recently had oil tests done on my engine which, on the face of it, have shown no significant engine wear or contamination of oil after 2 track days. There was a change in the chemistry of the oil, the viscosity was less that specified. This was after 2 track days, one was rainy so not too stressful but the other fairly hard on. The fact that I'm having to top up the oil that is lost does mean that that fresh oil is going in - not such a bad thing perhaps. my engine may be fundamentally different from yours however as my engine is technically no longer a Z22se which i now have to respect. A bit of a rambling reply but hope I'm making my point. cheers Chris

#90 Sticky

iTB lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

No offence taken. I should have clarified why I'm doing this. With the Webcon iTBs the cam breather recirculates back into the air filter but the oem outlet is v narrow (as you know) so what happened was the filter filled up with oil which then dripped out and all over the front of the engine and undertrays which then could potentially mask a more serious oil leak. I'm not trying to stop my engine using oil, I know it will and I put 500 mls in today midway through the afternoon. I'm trying to make the situation cleaner and more predictable. I have also changed the type of oil I use and have drilled a larger hole in the bottom of the dipstick tube to try to improve accuracy. Also it's been quite fun doing a small project like this and it's given my Dad something to do :)

#91 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

I didnt do anything about this before (I'm a lazy sod) , and have noticed its gone through around 1.5 litres at my last track day, almost all of it I reckon out of that breather as its all over the rear of my car and diffuser. Am sure either the air is literally vacuuming out oil or as its below the sump maybe just gravity, either way its not good. Where did it go on the original unmodified engine as may just put it back there. Catch tanks dont work as they fill up with oily water so fast and I'm not sure I have the skills to create special cap based vents etc. I'm up for trying alarger internal pipe radius, so Guess I need something that will go from the original exit pipe of the engine and step it up to the new size, where would I get something like that? Martin s

Edited by MartinS, 27 September 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#92 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

The breather for the noble seperates the oil vapour from the air and returns it to the sump and then the rest of the air is vented to atmosphere, well the pro alloy one is to atmosphere anyway

#93 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

http://www.proalloy....822&id=proalloy

#94 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

The issue is that the VX seems to send a lot of water out as well. Mike (Rally) bought an oil/water seperator catch tank... very reasonable price.... :lol: I'll let him share the cost. He's yet to decide where to use it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modified, good idea or bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users