Interesting Thread On SELOC About Crap CL Brakes

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, these Carbone Lorraine pads are just great aren't they!!!

Essentially lots of pads coming away from backing plates etc and not much positivity towards CL.

Posted Image

#2 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

I know this happened with the old RC5's but I thought it was cured with the RC5+'s. I use RC6, never had any problem with mine, probably used about 4 or 5 sets now.

Edited by fiveoclock, 14 April 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#3 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

:blink:

Posted Image

#4 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

were they CL's?

#5 jameso

jameso

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Yeah i spoke to BoT on thursday - they said they no longer supply 5+ cos of this - they only supply 6 now

#6 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'm struggling a little with that concept. CL6s are a slightly different compound to CL5+. We would be very naive if we thought that 6s had a different manufacturing process, quality or fixing method to the backing plate. It may be that the CL6s don't get as hot, or cool faster or a another which means they don't damage their backing plates. That won't be enough to temp me.

#7 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'm struggling a little with that concept. CL6s are a slightly different compound to CL5+. We would be very naive if we thought that 6s had a different manufacturing process, quality or fixing method to the backing plate.

It may be that the CL6s don't get as hot, or cool faster or a another which means they don't damage their backing plates. That won't be enough to temp me.

From that photo though it looks like its the compound that has broken up so 6's being a different compound is perhaps why they're ok. 6's have a lot more metal content than 5+'s so not really a slightly different compund.

Edited by fiveoclock, 14 April 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#8 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

:blink:

Posted Image

Mine were worst than that when they fell apart at doni last year. Mine fell apart and caused the wheel to lock, when i removed them there was no pad left attached to the backing plate. They were the CL Rc5+

#9 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Like always...it's the user's fault These are race pads, and the RC5's (and +) being softer than 6's can literally fusion with the disc under some circumstances, like using the handbrake with hot pads, using it as a daily pad on wet roads (while being sintered metal, they can rust, and some rust between the pad and disc is a very good glue...).... Although I have seen this type of issues with many other pads (especially soft ones, like OMP's or Ferrodos DS2500), I'm 100% convinced this will never happen with the pads being used for the usage they are meant to.

#10 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Apart from some users are well aware of not using hand brake. Also, the pic at the top is a front pad pair.... No hand brake ;)

#11 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Mine were only used for trackdays or driving to the trackdays and all were on dry roads except from a wet session at le mans. That said when they fell apart it had been wet at doni. I don't change tyres for wet trackdays so im fecked if im going to change my brakes to suit different conditions. I never leave my handbrake on after a track session and the car lives in the garage with the handbrake left off.

Im sure mrsimba's fell apart or chipped bits off and they replaced them free of charge, his had been used on the road so it looks like CL except blame.

Heres my wanted thread when mine fell to pieces.

#12 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

The track use only is a red herring. Its too easy. A product doesn't meet exacting standards so the manufacturer hides behind daft caveats. Track days are open to the elements. You have to come to a complete stop on track days. Hell you may even have to apply the hand brake once in a while. Should the warning label on CLs now read?: Track use only Indoor use only Not for use with cars with handbrakes A race check should be carried out before each usage. QED.

#13 Claws

Claws

Stage FA NA FTW!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Interests:Daft plastic cars

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Should the warning label on CLs now read?:

Track use only
Indoor use only
Not for use with cars with handbrakes
A race check should be carried out before each usage.

QED.

Harsh braking is to be avoided

Brakepads failing is scary stuff really, especially as it could lock a wheel and spit you off the road/track. It seems like it's not an isolated incident, I won't be fitting them, that's for sure

#14 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

A race check should be carried out before each usage.

I'm sorry, but this is a fact yes...
and that's why none of this racing stuff would pass any road homologation tests

Although, don't get me wrong, I think too there's an "issue" exaggerating the phenomena of the softer RC5+

Edited by alanoo, 14 April 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#15 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

I suspect CL would disagree with you. Certainly their marketing department would.

#16 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Yep I had a set of CL5's 'pit' badly, and after only a few hundred road miles. I sent Paul @ CL a photo and he sent me a replacement set FOC thumbsup The CL5's I had in before were perfect, the CL5's I've had since have been perfect, and the CL5's I've just put in the AP 4 pots are... Perfect! I've used them very 'enthusiastically' and trust them literally with my life, If I didn't they would be changed straight away.

#17 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

I am on my second set with no probs regarding break up, I don't for one minute say that everyone is wrong, maybe it's a bad batch, maybe a specific kind of use, maybe they are not up to the job, maybe it's a combination of all the above. However I see lots of people talking about the sticking, now this does happen to me when they are wet and parked up for the night, but never has it pulled any of the pad off. I do use the car everyday though, and looking at a lot of the failures it looks to me like the following is happening in some cases... Wet or damp "Porous" pads, Car put away for a while (maybe someone who drives it on weekends or when the weather breaks a bit), Water has a chance to hang about in the pad material and causes rust to form on the backing plate and hence pushing the friction material away. All I can say is my car is used daily, in all weathers, is parked outside and has never shown anywhere near the amount of corrosion that I see on most of the examples of failed pads I have seen. I will continue with them, carry on doing a few brake checks as I trundle up the back road from my house each time I go out and check for signs of potential probs every week. P.S. I still think they are great pads performance wise.

Edited by Crabash, 14 April 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#18 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Ought to point out this isn't only a CL problem, as Alanoo says, the Ferrodos have been known to do it too (which also have the daft track only, indoor only, not suitable for 3 year olds warnings :P) That said, CL seem to be a bit too laid back in a number of departments. The front pad size issue (Lancer evo backing plate rather than Lotus which is 1mm smaller it transpires), then this (i must admit i had not heard of this sort of delamination until now).

#19 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

Yep I had a set of CL5's 'pit' badly, and after only a few hundred road miles.

I sent Paul @ CL a photo and he sent me a replacement set FOC thumbsup

The CL5's I had in before were perfect, the CL5's I've had since have been perfect, and the CL5's I've just put in the AP 4 pots are... Perfect!

I've used them very 'enthusiastically' and trust them literally with my life, If I didn't they would be changed straight away.

Why risk it ???

Loads have fell apart and that is sh** and should never happen to any pad under any use or circumstance.

Having seen the pics above why the hell would anyone still use them.

Well they may be ok and there is no alternative ,I dont think so.

Not for me.

#20 CocoPops

CocoPops

• 17,177 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Interesting reaction.... Given they "are the new standard" according to Eliseshop and many here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users