• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Used them before, great pads, only problem I had was rectified quickly and has not reoccurred & the pads perform superbly in all conditions, Bad batch? I don't know but mine have been given some stick and they are awesome, honestly if I felt even slightly that they were going to disintegrate they would be straight off the car!

#22 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Well, I'm on my third set and none of them have broken up but I've not suffered with the pads sticking to the discs either, when parked up (though I rarely bother with the handbrake). Can't imagine my cooling ducts make any difference to that side of things and with the exception of the alloy bells and rotors, that's the only difference between my car and a standard car. I had a set of Pagid RS4-2's on the car where the friction material came away from the backing plate about 3 years ago. Also tried YellowStuff which literally crumbled away in under 150 miles. So, it's not isolated.

#23 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

My god yellow stuff, now there was a bad pad, I felt like sticking my foot out the door and going all flintstones. Didn't notice any fade mind but there again I didn't notice much in the way slowing down either. Never pushed so hard on a brake pedal.

Edited by Crabash, 14 April 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#24 MrSimba

MrSimba

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

This was the pitting mine suffered from - it was no where near as catastrophic as the pad and backing plate coming apart as pictured above!

Posted Image

#25 GeorgeBC

GeorgeBC

Needs a cheaper hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Interests:Cars and mountain biking

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

I was considering going back to them as the dust is very wheel friendly and i thought i was a one off but ill be steering clear now.

#26 JimmyJamJerusalem

JimmyJamJerusalem

So annoying I got my own room.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Beer, Boxing.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

I used two or three sets of these on my old VXR and a set on my LY before upgrading (im my mind) to PF pads. I never had a problem with CL pads and found them superb!!! I did however notice as popularity of this pad increased reliability of it diminished!! To the extent that I was bewildered when JG had his issues at LeMans. In my mind CL's were a reliable pad but I doubt that these days, perhaps something has changed in their production methods as I've kicked the guts out of a few early sets of theirs and found them superb. I wont be buying any more though!!!! Wouldn't be the first example of a company letting quality standards slip when popularity and sales of a product grows faster than their production capacity can facilitate! I think people should avoid buying Performance Friction pads :P

#27 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

My god yellow stuff, now there was a bad pad, I felt like sticking my foot out the door and going all flintstones. Didn't notice any fade mind but there again I didn't notice much in the way slowing down either. Never pushed so hard on a brake pedal.

Appalling weren't they? Absolutely no retardation but they somehow still managed to turn my disc's blue whilst dissolving.

#28 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

I remember being at the ring with them, saying to my mate "I can't slow down mate", He said maybe they need a good pasting to get them hotter, I have to admit they didn't fade but I was pushing for all I was worth on the pedal on standard tyres and no locking, felt a lot like when your pads get down to metal, well not quite that bad but certainly not far off. Mind you they were free or I would have never used em anyway.

Edited by Crabash, 14 April 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#29 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

I was thinking of getting some of these in the future too,think il give them a miss now,what are the alternatives with low dust for road use?

#30 Crabash

Crabash

Scared

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

No idea about low dust as it's not something I ever consider, for road use most people agreed Mintex 1144, but I have to admit it's not and area I have kept up with so things may have changed.

#31 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

I joined the 'oh sh*t where have my brakes gone' club with CL pads too - albeit in my Saxo. They were recently fitted from new, car since been in a dry garage, fell apart on first use within 30 miles. Will drop a photo up here when find the time.

Edited by Boombang, 27 May 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#32 elwill

elwill

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

PSR recommend against the CL pads for this very reason. Have to say I'm happy enough with my 1155s that I can't see myself risking the CLs, even though I've heard excellent things about their stopping power.

#33 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

The pad area is very small on the 2 pots relative to piston diameter. Its a lot to ask to brake a tonne of car and driver on that. Effectively the pressure is a lot higher than used on 99% of braking systems, and since the pad compounds are formulated for more general use we have these problems with pads breaking down. IMHO that caliper is not fit for purpose on a track.

#34 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

Here you go. Bear in mind this is under 50 miles from brand new:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

That's petty poor, think I'll be ordering some RC6s for Spa

#36 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

CL6,or whatever they are :D

#37 Tail slide

Tail slide

• Pip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Fast road cars, trackdays & sprints, snowboarding.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Running CL5+ front, CL6 rear. Seemed very abrasive on road first 50miles, disc looked re-surfaced so I was a bit worried! But as per their tech details, once really heated up on a trackday they smoothed out and have been fine for 500 road miles since (I think their surface actually gets reconstituted with heat, so the steel particles are coated and becomes less abrasive) and disc surface looks normal again, and no noticeable wear on trackday despite being used hard for last 3 sessions. High co-eff friction is really noticeable, locking up with quite a lot less pressure than previous DS2500's. Some wouldn't like the mixed pad compounds, as the rears are very close to locking more than the fronts, though fine as long as you have learned to always brake in a straight line before turning in. Just about to fit the 4-channel ABS which may tame it for the wet.

#38 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Here you go. Bear in mind this is under 50 miles from brand new:

did you bed them in on brand new disks

#39 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

Had cl5+ and though they wore out quicker than the sbs pro track I had before, they were always good. Now have cl6 on the front and very happy with them (thanks Mark) with CL5+ on the rear. all good. Will swap to CL6 rear when I need to.

Martin s

#40 kipper

kipper

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • Interests:Things that rotate.
    Smoking various types
    of fish.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Well, I'm on my third set and none of them have broken up but I've not suffered with the pads sticking to the discs either, when parked up (though I rarely bother with the handbrake). Can't imagine my cooling ducts make any difference to that side of things and with the exception of the alloy bells and rotors, that's the only difference between my car and a standard car.

I had a set of Pagid RS4-2's on the car where the friction material came away from the backing plate about 3 years ago. Also tried YellowStuff which literally crumbled away in under 150 miles. So, it's not isolated.

My four pot AP's came with DSG2500 as atandard. Replaced them with CL5's. Have never had a problem, and have done quite a few track days. At one time replaced the CL5's with DSG's for a short while to try to sort out vibration problems. On inspection after a few weeks of normal road driving, found that one part of the DSG pad had broken away. Immediately went back to CL5's and have had no problems. Running brake cooling ducts as standard as well. Perhaps they just dont get hot enough to break up!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users