#41 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Here you go. Bear in mind this is under 50 miles from brand new:

did you bed them in on brand new disks

Brand new discs but no bedding in process was advised. I did a standard stop, completely allow to cool, repeat from higher speed etc etc.

#42 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

Here you go. Bear in mind this is under 50 miles from brand new:

did you bed them in on brand new disks

Does it make a difference?

#43 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

yes it does if your disks are horrible and grooved, its just from the pics if looks like the pads have already worn grooves in them from such small mileage tbh even porsche brakes have problems and they are brembo, the inside disk surface can get very badly profiled and uneven wear, I was shocked when I changed mine that the previous owner had not noticed.

#44 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:23 PM

Deffo brand new discs were used, not grooved or dimpled but standard vented type. I've not inspected the discs properly but they looked almost untouched. It looks like as the pads fell apart they had picked up their own material on the face of the pads, hence the scoring - until I get time for a proper look at the discs can't tell as would expect matching marks (unless the pad material was *that* soft it absorbed all damage) All I know is not only did it work towards ruining the last trackday at Lydden, cost me a wasted Saturday stripping it all down (only to have put it back together as couldn't get pads that day), cost me over £100 for replacement pads and potentially a new set of discs. Worst of all I'm away from this Friday, so more than likely need to book a day off work when back to get the car ready in time for Donington. Seemingly small nuisance = massive ballache

#45 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

I've had a chat with a well known racing bloke who I work with. He thinks my pads look like they have overheated against the disc, reckons that a grooved or drilled disc would help the issue out. Either way as I'm not currently racing I'm going to 1155s and live with slightly less braking. He did recommend DS2500s as the best available compromise for my application, I've already bought the 1155s though.

#46 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

My AP and Elise Parts bell and rotors are all grooved and I obviously have the brake cooling duct setup, so maybe that's why I've not suffered on the three sets of RC5+'s I've used, so far. My biggest problem is how quickly I wear the fronts and how once they're worn down to a certain point the backing plates foul the front bells. Have moved to a 1mm bigger spacer on the calipers (295mm rotors) this time around to see if that sorts it.

#47 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

this is the problem of the inner face , from a boxster, the outer face looked fine, these also have brake ducts and a stone guard

Posted Image

#48 bunsenburner

bunsenburner

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Thread resurrection!

I have been running CL5+ for over a year now and was aware of the crumbling/detachment issues.

I was talking with a motorsport outfit about BMW Compact set up for the championship and we talked about different pads available, one of which is Carbon Lorraine RC5 (+).

I said I prefer them and run them on the VX and he agreed, but then said that he would advise against using them on the road during winter because these pads ahve a much higher metal content and don't like the salt on the roads.

It all makes sense then that these are sold as "Track only" pads and why they can stick to discs and crumble when expose to the elements.

It would also imply that the pads have a potentially shorter shelf life than the time it would take to wear down through use - probably significantly affected by wet use.

The manufacture date and storage conditions might also affect the initial quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users