46 replies to this topic

#21 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Joe tried. They didn't fancy it.

The work may not have been the faulting factor here......

#22 Dave H

Dave H

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

I'm keen to have a go at this. We need to start talking as to the way forward. Dave

#23 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Dave I got two weeks of and was going to pop up and see you what ate is good late next week any good ?

#24 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

:yeahthat: sounds like the fabbing part will be covered. Now we only need a design that gives an improvement and preferably is a bolt-on to the standard block... @Nev; it's not a simple fabbing job... It needs to cool a lot, flow well and evenly AND hold the supercharger in the right place with the belt tension working on it. Owww, and it still needs to fit into the VX too, preferably onto the stock block.... B)

#25 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Joe tried. They didn't fancy it.

The work may not have been the faulting factor here......

What do you mean ?

#26 Dave H

Dave H

• Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Sounds good to me. Look forward to it. Dave

#27 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Better yet if it'll all hook up to my existing surplus Saab turbo inlet manifold. One less thing to buy. :lol:

#28 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Better yet if it'll all hook up to my existing surplus Saab turbo inlet manifold. One less thing to buy. :lol:

Buy a Rotrex => problem solved... :happy:

#29 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Better yet if it'll all hook up to my existing surplus Saab turbo inlet manifold. One less thing to buy. :lol:/>

Buy a Rotrex => problem solved... :happy:/>

I was looking at a Sector 111 Elise SC conversion the other day and was thinking the same. Would miss the low down grunt though. :(

#30 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

:yeahthat: sounds like the fabbing part will be covered.
Now we only need a design that gives an improvement and preferably is a bolt-on to the standard block...

@Nev; it's not a simple fabbing job... It needs to cool a lot, flow well and evenly AND hold the supercharger in the right place with the belt tension working on it. Owww, and it still needs to fit into the VX too, preferably onto the stock block.... B)

Not necessarily easy, but quite doable with some forethough.

A remote water cooled charge cooler will reduce the space requirements of the manifold itself and is what I'd do. This will reduce the inlet manifold size (by eliminating the space that the laminovas occupy) and relocate it to some other more spacious part of the engine bay. In theory with a good design you should have the same (if not better) charge cooling than a turbo setup if the CC and it's radiator are well specced. I can easily see 200% VE attainable with sensible (ie < 50 degree inlet temps). A really good setup might even reach 250% or 275% VE, though you'd need cylinder liners no doubt to cope. With some propper expenditure you could see (sustainable) 450 BHP and more for limited bursts, all with lovely smooth torque from 2000 RPM upwards.

#31 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

^^^ That means splitting up the current design in 3 (or 2) seperate parts; SC mounting + discharge unit, a cooler unit and the inlet manifold unit. (See the Exige intercooled SC set-up how this is engineerded.) That works, only you introduce (a lot of) extra volume behind the TB. And compared to a turbo set-up this whole assemble has to withstand the manifold vacuum, so no flexi hoses... :sleep:

#32 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

What do you mean ?

Joe.

#33 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

at least Joe made the effort of taking a complete z22se engine and sc manifold to them so they could have a look, it certainly was not his fault it never happened :sleep:

#34 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

It was a poor attempt at a pun it seems. As a foreigner i preserve the right to drop the ball one in a while :blush:

#35 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

at least Joe made the effort of taking a complete z22se engine and sc manifold to them so they could have a look, it certainly was not his fault it never happened :sleep:

What would be interesting would be to take an OE manifold to a pattern maker to see how much it would cost to pattern one extended at the bottom for an additional two laminova. I would expect it to be around 5-600 quid for the pattern but subsequent castings in LM25 would be <100 quid. I've patterned a few things but this is a bit more than I could do. A proper pattern maker would probably bash this out in a week.

#36 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

With so many people fitting access hatches, has anyone considered making a 3d hatch which donates the parcel shelf space to the charger? This would allow for a deeper manifold while keeping everything located as before.

#37 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

It was a poor attempt at a pun it seems.
As a foreigner i preserve the right to drop the ball one in a while :blush:

anyone who knows Joe understands it's in jest, but for those that don't I thought it worth mentioning the time and effort he put in to try and get something done :sleep:

#38 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

What would be interesting would be to take an OE manifold to a pattern maker to see how much it would cost to pattern one extended at the bottom for an additional two laminova. I would expect it to be around 5-600 quid for the pattern but subsequent castings in LM25 would be <100 quid. I've patterned a few things but this is a bit more than I could do. A proper pattern maker would probably bash this out in a week.

I have no clue at pattern making and faundry costs, but there is not much room left at the bottom of the mani. If you relocate the (smaller) alternator, you gain a lot of space and could simply "stretch" the existing casting design to the distr side. Fit 4 longer cores (or connect 2 together, you can do that with laminova's) and finito. :happy:

#39 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

My dad shares a factory with a man who casts mini cylinder heads, if such skills were needed.

#40 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

I did wonder some time ago about "printing" a design out to see if it would work not certain if plastic would be strong enough but metal would although ££££

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users