• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#101 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

No it's not a Lamborghini!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

This will crack you up. In the 8 + years I've had my car the cigarette lighter has never worked and I don't know/can't fix it :lol:

#102 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

Also I would definitely need a fast and furious style button on the steering wheel. Deploy cool water - head pushed back into seat :D

#103 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Assuming the fuse in the boot is okay, is probably just the fact it's sh!t and lots of adapters don't seem to make proper contact for more than a millisecond before cutting off again.

#104 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

Also I would definitely need a fast and furious style button on the steering wheel. Deploy cool water - head pushed back into seat :D

I have those in the noble. They are horns :) fast as fcuk horns

#105 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

Sorry no can do with the steering wheel. I can do it in a flip-up top gearknob though, if you want?

#106 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Sorry no can do with the steering wheel. I can do it in a flip-up top gearknob though, if you want?

Ooooooo go baby go

#107 VXT Tim

VXT Tim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,421 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Perfect B)

#108 NDT

NDT

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Question .. My friends evo has a mist kit that sprays water directly on the intercooler .. Would this make any difference to the cooling temp if fitted with a standard vx intercooler ?

It should do.

Water's latent heat of vaporisation is 2260kJ/Kg (thanks wikipedia as I'm in a hotel room in Germany and don't have any old engineering data books with me....)

So assuming that 50% [total and utter guess - reality is probably better than this?] of the water gets evaporated rather than simply dripping off, that gives you 1130kJ/Kg.

According to Winstar's earlier post, you need to reject 17.6kW to take enough air for 300bhp down from 110'C to 40'C.

So assuming our normal intercooler has got us to say 70'C [total guess, as above] rejecting 10.1kW, we need to reject another 7.5kW to get to 40'C.

If you had 10kg of water, using my massive assumption above, that would give you the ability to absorb 11,300kW.

Or 1,507 seconds of running at 300bhp.

That's 25 minutes.

Now someone tell me where my maths / assumptions are f**ked up before we all claim water sprays are the new chargecoolers....

#109 NDT

NDT

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Question .. My friends evo has a mist kit that sprays water directly on the intercooler .. Would this make any difference to the cooling temp if fitted with a standard vx intercooler ?

It should do.

Water's latent heat of vaporisation is 2260kJ/Kg (thanks wikipedia as I'm in a hotel room in Germany and don't have any old engineering data books with me....)

So assuming that 50% [total and utter guess - reality is probably better than this?] of the water gets evaporated rather than simply dripping off, that gives you 1130kJ/Kg.

According to Winstar's earlier post, you need to reject 17.6kW to take enough air for 300bhp down from 110'C to 40'C.

So assuming our normal intercooler has got us to say 70'C [total guess, as above] rejecting 10.1kW, we need to reject another 7.5kW to get to 40'C.

If you had 10kg of water, using my massive assumption above, that would give you the ability to absorb 11,300kW.

That's 25 minutes.

Now someone tell me where my maths / assumptions are f**ked up before we all claim water sprays are the new chargecoolers....

And of course this ignores that some the water's temperature will be raised, absorbing more energy,

Water's specific heat is 4.187kJ/kgK.

So let's again assume that only half of the water does anything.

Let's assume the water is sitting in the boot at about 30'C. Say it gets to 50'C on average before evaporating (action of airflow etc).

So that's a further potential heat absorbtion of 837kW.

So we can turn the flow down on the water and make it last another 111 seconds.

#110 NDT

NDT

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

It should do.

That's 25 minutes.

And of course this ignores that some the water's temperature will be raised, absorbing more energy,

Water's specific heat is 4.187kJ/kgK.

So let's again assume that only half of the water does anything.

Let's assume the water is sitting in the boot at about 30'C. Say it gets to 50'C on average before evaporating (action of airflow etc).

So that's a further potential heat absorbtion of 837kW.

So we can turn the flow down on the water and make it last another 111 seconds.

Which also goes to show that the temperature of the water is pretty insignificant. The evaporation effect is far greater.

Hence there being a reason that some Evos and Imprezas were fitted with water sprays as standard in the Japanese market.

#111 Ben_mk

Ben_mk

• Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Engineering(anything with an engine)
    Gym, kitesurfing , football(playing)
    Keeping active

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

My brain hurts lol... My scooby was an import it had not mist kit lol Was running 380bhp

#112 NDT

NDT

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

My brain hurts lol... My scooby was an import it had not mist kit lol Was running 380bhp

they didn't all have them but some certainly did. Type R's IIRC

Anyway, brain hurts WTF? this is basic GCSE physics, let alone engineering!!!

#113 Ben_mk

Ben_mk

• Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Engineering(anything with an engine)
    Gym, kitesurfing , football(playing)
    Keeping active

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Urmmm I don't have a national diploma in electrical and mechanical engineering (rolling eyes) :-)

#114 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

I may be way off but the assumptions rely on an instant heat transfer.  The water will need to be on the IC for a while to absorb the heat.  There will be some maths about rate of heat transfer / heat gradient etc.  Beyond me!  I just know it takes time to get rid of the heat.

#115 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,103 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

Imagine waving a hot pan round in the air and another in water. The one in water will cool a lot faster! If that was what you were wondering :/

#116 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,848 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

heat transfer to liquid >> heat transfer to gas

however, air is freely available but water can only be pumped around the loop (for air cooling)

Edited by hairy, 20 June 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#117 NDT

NDT

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

I may be way off but the assumptions rely on an instant heat transfer.  The water will need to be on the IC for a while to absorb the heat.  There will be some maths about rate of heat transfer / heat gradient etc.  Beyond me!  I just know it takes time to get rid of the heat.

Sort of.

I assumed above that half of the water just falls off without absorbing any heat and that the other half is around for long enough to absorb heat.

No idea whether that assumptions realistic or not.

#118 NDT

NDT

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

heat transfer to liquid >> heat transfer to gas

however, air is freely available but water can only be pumped around the loop (for air cooling)

Or squirted onto an intercooler...

#119 NDT

NDT

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Anyone know the total mass of a typical chargecooler, rad, hoses, pumps, header tank?

Not insignificant I would guess.

#120 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

why not squirt water/alcohol atomised, in to the inside of the intercooler and use all the surface area to cool the charge, and reject heat via the fins to the ambient air, rather than try and cool ambient air first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users