Photo

Replacement Headlights - Gauging Interest

headlights headlight upgrade headlight replacement

• Please log in to reply
1351 replies to this topic

Poll: Replacement headlights (351 member(s) have cast votes)

Interest in replacement headlights

1. As an upgrade (eg legal, high quality xenons) (172 votes [49.00%])

Percentage of vote: 49.00%

2. As a current replacement (to currently damaged/weathered headlights) (103 votes [29.34%])

Percentage of vote: 29.34%

3. As potential replacement (71 votes [20.23%])

Percentage of vote: 20.23%

4. Not interested (5 votes [1.42%])

Percentage of vote: 1.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#881 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Sounds good, I think upgraded wiring is good because HID conversions consistently fry the wires when used enough. Does that mean I'm last as I want black and silver?

Not last, yours wont be any more work than the black ones

#882 Mattias

Mattias

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Another update.

Rear covers are in full production but rate is around 1 per day, i'm assembling units as they go and sequencing them from most similar to prototype (gloss carbon, LED main beam) to least (different paint options, halogen units). I've made a number of changes to the production units from the prototype units which include (but are not limited to):

- use of standard sized grommets to cover adjustments where possible (now 20mm blind grommets as used on socket back boxes - should mean anyone can source spares at low cost)

- uprated wiring for xenon unit

- addition of anchor mount on xenon unit to prevent vibration on rough surface

How close are you to shipping the first sets?

#883 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:55 AM

There will be sets shipped in June, however I don't know how many I will be able to ship prior to Le Mans

#884 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:47 AM

There will be sets shipped in June, however I don't know how many I will be able to ship prior to Le Mans

If you need help with the shipping, I am not too far from Ox.

#885 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

Thanks. Bigger issue is time right now. Got a long list of car repairs that need completing before the 15th to balance against preparing the lights.

#886 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Thanks. Bigger issue is time right now. Got a long list of car repairs that need completing before the 15th to balance against preparing the lights.

Help offer is also valid for the car repairs ;)

#887 driftfaktor

driftfaktor

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

any update yet? :-)

#888 driftfaktor

driftfaktor

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

any update yet? :-)

#889 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

Bump!!

#890 Rusty789

Rusty789

Ginger Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

I got a large VX220 labelled box delivered the other day, I got my hopes up and everything thinking it was the headlights... It was a fezz heater, in the peak of summer... GREAT! :D

#891 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

Been a bit slow over the last couple of weeks due to business trips. I've got three outstanding points to sort out:

- PU primer, works great on the OEM headlights, completely rubbish for priming the bond between the lenses and CF. Need to identify different primer

- Manufacture of rear enclosures - switching from fibreglass to vacuum formed, closer to OEM

- E mark stamping - will be contacting people shortly to get preferences (stamped or not).

- standardised adjustment rig.

#892 Mattias

Mattias

• PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

Been a bit slow over the last couple of weeks due to business trips. I've got three outstanding points to sort out:

- PU primer, works great on the OEM headlights, completely rubbish for priming the bond between the lenses and CF. Need to identify different primer

- Manufacture of rear enclosures - switching from fibreglass to vacuum formed, closer to OEM

- E mark stamping - will be contacting people shortly to get preferences (stamped or not).

- standardised adjustment rig.

Try masking the glue area on the CF before clear coat and then test without primer. 

That is how windscreens are glued from factory to pass crash demands ie. not coming loose.  I imagine the matt CF surface might have similar effect.

#893 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

Hi Fezzasus, have you painted mine yet? I've had a change in heart, I want all black headlights now.

#894 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

I want the front of my car to look like this. https://www.google.c...iact=mrc&uact=8

#895 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

Only clear coats have been done. 

Work commitments have meant i've been out of the country most weeks. Have a period of relative quiet so will be cracking on with the final formers for the rear enclosures (switch from fibreglass to ABS mirroring original design)

#896 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

Abs sounds far better. Can I have all black please :)

#897 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

Only clear coats have been done.    Work commitments have meant i've been out of the country most weeks. Have a period of relative quiet so will be cracking on with the final formers for the rear enclosures (switch from fibreglass to ABS mirroring original design)

Can you answer my pm re a problem with your heater.

#898 ChubbyChiper

ChubbyChiper

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

Why have I only just seen this post!?

Just had mine refurbished with new lenses, a custom paint job and HID's but I still want some!

#899 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

I may sound like a broken record that is not getting the memo or something, but if you need a hand for assembly tasks, Tom, I am more than happy to lend you mine. And it's not with any vested interest, it's really to get those going so we potential second-liners can get some feedback !

#900 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

I've had a few messages so thought I would provide a broad update of where we are.

Firstly, the good bits.

All the CF parts are fully prepared and and waiting for assembly.

All lamp sections are waiting for assembly.

A suitable adhesive for the lenses to the CF parts has been identified.

The rear covers (part that seals the lamp sections) is still the sticking point. The headlamps are incredibly compact relative to other cars with advanced (by advanced I mean non-halogen) headlights and the intent from the outset was to design a unit which was drop it, so has to fit around the constraints of the mounting geometry and wheel arch.

The manufacture of the rear enclosures shifted from fibreglass to vacuum formed ABS (just like the OEM units), however these parts caused the lamps to slump in the mount, which pushed the lens away from the body of the headlight causing premature separation of the faces. This was mostly due to slightly different angles between the rear of the units and the mounting space. The rear covers have now been redesigned and first vacuum formed batch expected by the end of the week.

hopefully this will be the last step in what has been a deceptively complex part to develop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlights, headlight upgrade, headlight replacement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users