Photo

Replacement Headlights - Gauging Interest

headlights headlight upgrade headlight replacement

• Please log in to reply
1351 replies to this topic

Poll: Replacement headlights (351 member(s) have cast votes)

Interest in replacement headlights

1. As an upgrade (eg legal, high quality xenons) (172 votes [49.00%])

Percentage of vote: 49.00%

2. As a current replacement (to currently damaged/weathered headlights) (103 votes [29.34%])

Percentage of vote: 29.34%

3. As potential replacement (71 votes [20.23%])

Percentage of vote: 20.23%

4. Not interested (5 votes [1.42%])

Percentage of vote: 1.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1141 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

So back to the headlights... Waiting for Tom's reply, has anyone received theirs?

#1142 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:36 AM

Yes. One pair with a matt black finish, bixenon units and a halogen main/sidelight configuration was delivered in September, before I broke my hand.

Next up is a matt black pair with bixenon/main LED and sidelight, and an equivalent CF pair. The CF pair were finished some time ago but the rear housing needs revising as does not have the right clearance

Clearance is the big issue with this project; from ordering the original CD headlights I found that it was relatively easy to integrate a better dipped beam, and main beam unit. Without a back this fit well into the space left by the original headlight. That's when I invited orders; with the work being one of scale (easy) and one of making a rear housing to protect all the sensitive parts and allow the unit to fit into the original space left by the original headlights.

That latter requirement has been a huge sticking point. These units use larger bixenon projectors, wider and longer than the original, have to accommodate a xenon ignitor, ballast, and somehow still mount to the original mounting point and clear all the other elements found in the headlight cavity.

I have made about 30 different rear housing iterations; it's not just working with the available void, it's also designing a part that can be removed and re-installed without fouling anything. This has lead to a few of the false starts; early last year I was convinced I could deploy them, and built up quite a few pairs before finding faults with the housing.

So is it better to have put something with faults out earlier, or wait until it's right? I have focused on the latter.

#1143 Dunk

Dunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:WLTM reliable, quiet, tidy one for LTR.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

Yes. One pair with a matt black finish, bixenon units and a halogen main/sidelight configuration was delivered in September, before I broke my hand.

Next up is a matt black pair with bixenon/main LED and sidelight, and an equivalent CF pair. The CF pair were finished some time ago but the rear housing needs revising as does not have the right clearance

Clearance is the big issue with this project; from ordering the original CD headlights I found that it was relatively easy to integrate a better dipped beam, and main beam unit. Without a back this fit well into the space left by the original headlight. That's when I invited orders; with the work being one of scale (easy) and one of making a rear housing to protect all the sensitive parts and allow the unit to fit into the original space left by the original headlights.

That latter requirement has been a huge sticking point. These units use larger bixenon projectors, wider and longer than the original, have to accommodate a xenon ignitor, ballast, and somehow still mount to the original mounting point and clear all the other elements found in the headlight cavity.

I have made about 30 different rear housing iterations; it's not just working with the available void, it's also designing a part that can be removed and re-installed without fouling anything. This has lead to a few of the false starts; early last year I was convinced I could deploy them, and built up quite a few pairs before finding faults with the housing.

So is it better to have put something with faults out earlier, or wait until it's right? I have focused on the latter.

Thanks Tom.

Like Rusty, I'm in the "been happy to wait" camp.

Edited by Dunk, 13 February 2020 - 11:42 AM.

#1144 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

Hey Fez,

just out of curiousity / interest could you post a few pics of the light units and covers?  I can imagine this is a complete nightmare as the lights are rather small.  It'd be interesting for us 'great unwashed' to see the challenge you're facing and how difficult the problem is.

Given the sand around here, I'm not invested nor a mod (for now :poke:).  I'm just interested in the technical aspects of what must be an epic project.

#1145 Richard Hoogeveen

Richard Hoogeveen

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Tom.

Like Rusty + others , I'm also in the "been happy to wait" camp.

But If I hear Mat black, Led brrrr  :wub:  

Cheers !

Richard

#1146 harrytx65

harrytx65

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Biking, Computers

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:51 PM

Hi Tom

I'm one of the happy waiters too.
Good Things come to those who wait...

Thank you very much for that great project!
And I know you are doing that in your free time.

Cheers

Harry

#1147 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Great Music, Love, Friends, Holidays, Great Wine, Cars, Beautiful places to drive Cars!!!

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:37 PM

I'm in!!!!!!!

But what about our Failing (interior) headlight switches????

#1148 Code Monkey

Code Monkey

forum whore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

I'm in!!!!!!!

But what about our Failing (interior) headlight switches????

Better off replacing the switch with a relay to turn lights on always with the ignition.

Means lights run in daytime, but not like the cars are big old lumps to stand out on the road amongst the SUV's. 

#1149 zaimon83

zaimon83

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:22 AM

Finally sat down with all my supplier costings to put together total cost and final purchase price.

Headlight details:

- price is for a pair of front headlights, fully assembled

- available as both RHD and LHD. No price difference.

- Full one piece carbon fibre enclosure (available gloss or matt black)

- Headlamps as follows;

+ 3 inch Bi-xenon projector providing dipped beam and non-flash main beam (however can also be configured for H7 halogen if needed)

+ 90 mm halogen main beam unit with sidelight (same as OEM), providing main beam (including flash)

+ same as original indicator unit

Cost

£1300, £650 upfront cost, £650 payable prior to delivery

Production time

approximately 6 weeks, however this is small volume production at a carbon fibre site supplying motorsport, so rate depends on other work. At the moment the production time will be quick (summer shut down for F1 teams), however once into October it'll be very difficult to get any production time.

So.. who's in?

Hi Tom, I'm interested in a pair of headlights, LHD, with xenon.

Is it still possible to order them?

#1150 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:54 AM

Last I checked, Tom isn't taking new orders until he is finished with the first batch

#1151 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:59 AM

Last I checked, Tom isn't taking new orders until he is finished with the first batch

Is that info from this thread?

#1152 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:16 AM

Either that or by PM one or two years ago.

#1153 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:30 AM

Either that or by PM one or two years ago.

thumbsup

#1154 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:48 PM

Hey Fez,

just out of curiousity / interest could you post a few pics of the light units and covers?  I can imagine this is a complete nightmare as the lights are rather small.  It'd be interesting for us 'great unwashed' to see the challenge you're facing and how difficult the problem is.

Given the sand around here, I'm not invested nor a mod (for now :poke:).  I'm just interested in the technical aspects of what must be an epic project.

Anything?  Go on, just a sneaky peek!  :D

Edited by FLD, 15 March 2020 - 09:49 PM.

#1155 Gonçalo Pereira

Gonçalo Pereira

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:01 PM

Please...

#1156 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:42 PM

:poke: :poke:

#1157 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

Fezzasus - Headlight Self-Isolation Champion 2012-2020

:P

#1158 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

2021 is only 9 months away

#1159 Gonçalo Pereira

Gonçalo Pereira

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

Hi Tom. how are you?

Did you finish any pair of units?

#1160 Gonçalo Pereira

Gonçalo Pereira

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:33 PM

????

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: headlights, headlight upgrade, headlight replacement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users