hids lights cut out

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Gym, Basketball, Football, LFC, Usual Stuff...

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Well, i got in the car last night and attempted to turn my headlights on...usual routine of side lights on, then headlights on...but when pressing the headlight button all the lights inside and outside of the car cut off Therefore at the moment i can only have my sidelights on. Now i have HID's, could this be something simple like a blown bulb (there only 2 months old) or a ballast fault? Ive not had time before now and then to take the lights outs etc to check anything, just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar

#2 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Well, i got in the car last night and attempted to turn my headlights on...usual routine of side lights on, then headlights on...but when pressing the headlight button all the lights inside and outside of the car cut off

Therefore at the moment i can only have my sidelights on. Now i have HID's, could this be something simple like a blown bulb (there only 2 months old) or a ballast fault?

Ive not had time before now and then to take the lights outs etc to check anything, just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar

Fuse. You need to work out why it has blown though. I'd remove both ballasts and plug normal bulbs back in. If this is fine put one HID side back in at a time and see which causes it to go.

#3 mofish69

mofish69

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

This happened to mine a few wks ago. Exact same thing. All i done on mine was lift the cover off the fuses and press them. That sorted it!!!! I think mine was a little damp. Its tucked away in the garage now :-) Hope its a simple fix for yours.

#4 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,833 posts
  • Interests:Football - support Derby County
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Computers (oh no not another nerd....)
    Travelling

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Well, i got in the car last night and attempted to turn my headlights on...usual routine of side lights on, then headlights on...but when pressing the headlight button all the lights inside and outside of the car cut off

Therefore at the moment i can only have my sidelights on. Now i have HID's, could this be something simple like a blown bulb (there only 2 months old) or a ballast fault?

Ive not had time before now and then to take the lights outs etc to check anything, just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar

Fuse. You need to work out why it has blown though. I'd remove both ballasts and plug normal bulbs back in. If this is fine put one HID side back in at a time and see which causes it to go.

:yeahthat:

Chances are if there is a fault, it will be the ballast.

Edit, the ballast wiring is polarised. I.e. you must connect +ve to +ve and ground to ground. With a normal bulb it doesn't matter. So check you have wired it the right way round.

Edited by turbobob, 17 December 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#5 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

:yeahthat:

Edit, the ballast wiring is polarised. I.e. you must connect +ve to +ve and ground to ground. With a normal bulb it doesn't matter. So check you have wired it the right way round.

They've been working well for 2 months so dont think it should be anything to do with which way round the connections are...

Ill try the fuses later tonight...they are in the front fuse box arnt they and not the rear lol

Cheers
Adam

#6 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Mine went on my audi like yours and it turned out to be the connectors to the ballast had come out slightly. Pushed em back in and they have been fine. Mine are a year old with no problem apart from that. If it isn't that, like someone else mentioned the ballast usually gives up the ghost before the bulbs do.

#7 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

:yeahthat:/>

They've been working well for 2 months so dont think it should be anything to do with which way round the connections are...

Ill try the fuses later tonight...they are in the front fuse box arnt they and not the rear lol

Cheers
Adam

Gotcha. I thought it was a new install.

#8 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Mine went on my audi like yours and it turned out to be the connectors to the ballast had come out slightly. Pushed em back in and they have been fine. Mine are a year old with no problem apart from that. If it isn't that, like someone else mentioned the ballast usually gives up the ghost before the bulbs do.

Not necessarily. I've seen more bulbs than ballasts go.

#9 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Fuses. I had my headlights give up on an X country blast... Pit stop at Techies house to get internet for the fuse numbers. We checked the fuses and they seemed fine, I then tore into the car and Matt looked again at the fuses to fine one blown :lol:

#10 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

do you have a picture or reference number to which fuse i should be looking for regarding the headlights? just saves me the time of going through each one in the dark and cold later :)

#11 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

TIS.

#12 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Fuses. I had my headlights give up on an X country blast... Pit stop at Techies house to get internet for the fuse numbers. We checked the fuses and they seemed fine, I then tore into the car and Matt looked again at the fuses to fine one blown :lol:

That was funny. Pull the dashboard apart, break out the wiring diagrams to check all of the wiring and relays for your replacement switches. Then "are you sure the fuse is meant to look like this?". Why is it we're always anxious to look for the most complex solution before the simplest option. :beat:

#13 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

That was funny. Pull the dashboard apart, break out the wiring diagrams to check all of the wiring and relays for your replacement switches. Then "are you sure the fuse is meant to look like this?". Why is it we're always anxious to look for the most complex solution before the simplest option. :beat:

Not before shearing off the headlight retaining bolt meaning the headlight needed to be gaffer taped back in :lol:

#14 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

daft lads :lol:

#15 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Im having no luck with these fuses... Checked every one in the little box in the front and there all fine :S

#16 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Disconnect wire from the ballast. Check the voltage on the wire. If there is still no voltage there and you have checked all the fuses, try swapping the headlight and sidelight switches.

#17 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Went out for another check and decided to change all the fuses for new ones...this has solved the problem :s There must have been some dirt on the fuse although I had taken it out and wiped it... Thanks for all the help

#18 turbobob

turbobob

2/3rds of a Queen

• 13,833 posts
    Photography
    CARS!!
    Travelling

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

Could be a very faint break in the fuse material tthat is difficult to see. Either way nice easy fix. Hopefully that is. If the fuse goes again, you need to investigate further.

#19 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

The harness is a bag of shite, no surprise a fuse was fine but a buggered connection.

#20 D3YMO

D3YMO

Scammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Its done it again when ive come to turn my lights on this morning...fuse doesnt seem to be blown again either :S

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hids, lights, cut, out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users