88 replies to this topic

#21 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for your input Arno, I think I'll take your advise and switch back to OEM bushes.

Damn it, I thought I was £300 better off for a while then :(

#22 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

I've started stripping and cleaning the front suspension, still quite way to go yet until I get it looking like new. Not sure what to do with the bump stops as they seem to absorb dirt, and I don't think it's possible to clean them

Posted Image

The springs are at the powder coaters and are being done in turquoise as per the original Nitron colour.

I've also now stripped the front brake calipers; pistons, seals and dust caps are all out and ready to be replaced with new.

I can confirm the part number as being correct for this caliper kit. You get new 4 piston seals, 4 dust covers, 2 bleed nipple seals with 2 new o-rings You don't get pistons though, so extra care is needed when removing them to avoid damage.

I've started cleaning them but I was just using Gunk and it really isn't powerful enough to clean them to the level I want. Anyone got any ideas for something better? 

Posted Image

I'm gonna touch them up (there's a couple of chips), and then polish and seal them. Hopefully they'll be easier to clean in the future.

#23 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Try brake cleaner perhaps, it is quite aggressive on stubburn grease marks.

#24 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm gonna try a bit of white spirit tonight and if that doesn't work I'll try some brake cleaner :)

#25 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

The project has been on hold for a while now as I dislocated my shoulder a while back :( I'm currently resting it until it's strong enough to mess with cars again...

Anyway, quick update; once I'd had all the suspension parts shot blasted we noticed that one of the front lower wishbones was bent. It looks like the damage is from some kind of hard knock on the road, maybe a pothole. You can see how much it's moved from the red lines I've added to the pic.

Posted Image

I've given the chassis, suspension, etc a once over and everything else seems to be fine. Is there anything I should double and treble check??

My mate offered to straighten it, but I'd prefer to get a replacement instead. What are my options? They're £200 from eliseparts, I really didn't wanna blow that much on a fecking wishbone.... Is it safe to get a 2nd hand part from ebay?

#26 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Completely safe to get a second hand part, that's essentially what you're doing by reusing your other parts anyway.

#27 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Had to replace both my n/s rears due to a dink and a bent wishbone. PM Liz, it's more of a nuisance with time delays getting shot blasted, at least you noticed prior to powder coating them...

#28 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

I've not had any time to work on the car recently, hence the lack of updates. I have however got the parts back from the powder coaters, and all my suspension refresh parts have arrived from Seriously Lotus. :)

You'll notice in the pic that the lad that sprayed the hubs didn't mask them off, so the face where the bearing bolts to now has a layer of paint on there. Is it okay to leave it there or would I be better to remove it?

Posted Image

#29 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Everything wants to be cleaned off where it makes contact as stuff won't sit right once everything been torqued back up.

#30 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

Mine where masked off, think most people advise for the above reasoning.

Seeing suspension bits brings back horrible memories. Good luck with putting it all back together!

#31 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

yeah, I kinda already knew what the replys would be, but thought I'd ask anyway :)

I have a sharp scraper which should take the paint off just as neatly as if I'd carefully masked off, so it's not a problem.

Seeing suspension bits brings back horrible memories. Good luck with putting it all back together!

It might be a bit of a nightmare but they look very pretty, which definitely makes it all worth doing. :)

I was expecting some eagle eyed suspension refresher to have pointed out the problem in the above picture, but no one's picked up on it

Edited by Gedi, 08 October 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#32 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Identical lower wishbones?

#33 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Identical lower wishbones?

thumbsup  I knew it'd be either you or JG to spot it.

I got some spares done in case I bend any. I only realised I'd put the same 2 in the pic after I'd taken it

Edited by Gedi, 08 October 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#34 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

To remove paint I would just get a electric sander on the face it will soon remove it

#35 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

I'm planning on pressing the bushes and balljoints back in this week, it's strangley exciting.....

I'm using ACF-50 as a lubricant to get everything back in, but I'm wondering if it's worth coating the balljoints in duralac as well or is it just a waste of a rather expensive paste?

I've read both good and bad things about duralac

#36 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

It's steel on steel so you won't get any galvanic reaction. It's not really needed.

#37 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Cool. I wasn't sure what the ribbed areaof the balljoint was made from, hence the question.

Cheers Fez  thumbsup

#38 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

It'll be zinc coated steel. The zinc coating is to minimise any corrosion before it's inserted.

#39 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Slowest project ever ....

I've decided to move the car to a large, nice warm garage for the winter, but there's no front end on it at the moment so I need to get cracking. I'm gonna loosely bolt the running gear back together so I can roll it onto a transporter and then I'll be able to get it back up on stands in its new home , then I can re-strip it all down again :)

This is the ball joint tool I drew up and had made at a fraction of the cost of the eliseparts tool. (drawing is here if anyone wants to make one http://www.vx220.org...ll-joint-tools/ )

Posted Image

Posted Image

The bushes pressed in easily in the vice, there's no need to buy the overpriced eliseparts tool. The only problem is that metal bearing in the inner part of the bush pushes through ahead of the rubber section, which means it bottoms in the vice jaws before the rubber section has pushed in all the way. A socket of 32mm would sit around the tube which the bush sits in and allow the steel bearing to be over-pressed until the rubber pushes home. I had an old bent wishbone lying around, so I cut the end off it and used that instead of the socket. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

What is the cost of such powder coated beauty?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuild, refresh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users