Photo

Brake Pipe Replacement Guide

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

I seriously doubt you will be able to fit a new end onto the original pipework, it is steel and you would need a hydraulic press for the new end.

The few which have been changed either just replaced the last section (9 or 10) or fitted a new copper brake pipe by pushing it along the sill (like the sc chargecooler hoses).

#22 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

The right angle at the back of the sill section on mine has seen better days. When I had the clam off I cleaned them up and covered in anti-crosive grease. The difficulty is there is no way in knowing how corroded they were but seriously doubt it was enough to compromise the strength of the pipe. I would clean the pipes up first and check for leaks as it may just be a bit of surface corrosion. Very surprised this was picked up at MOT as it is hidden by the tray.

#23 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

It's not hidden, it's exposed where it goes into the sill. I changed mine also. It's a PITA

#24 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

You can swage female onto steel pipe with a cheap kit...and the male on the copper. Join with unions. Did it on a volvo for a similar issue. You cant put male onto a steel pipe with a cheap kit however.

#25 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have hopefully saved a few owners from this problem by removing the cable tie which held the brake pipe against the coolant pipe (with a piece of foam sandwiched in between the two pipes), classic water trap and potential rust spot :beat:

Do you have a photo of the offending location?!? ;)

#26 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

http://www.vx220.org...pe-replacement/

There is a pic in this thread though it is not great.

#27 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts
  • Interests:playing cars and general mischief.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Sorry for thread resurrection, vx just failed on the same thing (plus a split gaiter) but parts 9, 10 and 11 are no longer available from vauxhall parts center. Does anyone know if there are available elsewhere please? Cheers

#28 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

Ignore me, further searches tell me they aren't available elsewhere.

#29 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

Take the pipe into a local car parts place like bulls eye and they will make one for a few quid. It'll be a straight piece which you then bend by hand to the right shape. The flexible bits (11) you could get braided lines for about £50 and replace all 4 corners.

#30 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

didn't someone replace the sill section pipe with braided lines front to back? be easiest option and come coated in plastic so won't happen again

#31 stu8v

stu8v

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

My sill lines have been redone in braided line before my purchase. Seems neat enough. 👍

#32 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

I have a flaring tool if you need it Ali. Whilst not easy I'm sure you could thread some copper pipe down the sill.

#33 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:24 AM

Yep I've just replaced all my brake and clutch line with braided hose. Not that bad of a job tbh.

#34 AliM

AliM

insert humour here

• 9,146 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

Thanks all, but If i do it, I will end up in a hedge :) I dropped the car off at Key West this morning, they should be able to make replacements for me.

#35 rik

rik

while (vx < 340) { vx++; }

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:20 PM

*thread revival again*

I have the same issue on the brake line on the left sill, again only on the cable tied and sticky foam area 

I think the long braided hose solution sounds best. 

The short sections, front and back are all fine so I'll keep those ones and keep them clean & acf-50'd, so I need a long braided hose to connect to the standard couplers

Wondering if haggi961 or oakemere can remember the length of braided hose, and also which connectors are required to connect to the couplers?

There seems to be lots of places online selling custom braided hoses for a decent price  thumbsup

#36 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:29 PM

1170374_C_E952_4_A0_D_B804_1_B23_B2_BD4_
Red to yellow circle brake lines is 250cm x2 brakes lines

Yellow circle to blue circle brake lines is 68cm x2 brake lines
Brake line is dash 3 is m10x1

Clutch line red circle to yellow is 293cm X1 brake line
Clutch hose is dash 3 with m12 fittings

#37 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:38 PM

brill!

also just found these too https://www.ebay.co....=232595851824 

HEL PERFORMANCE Hard Line Replacement Braided Brake Lines For VAUXHALL VX220

This kit is to replace the aging hard lines which run down the sills of the car, with new HEL flexi lines. The new flexi lines replace the entire 3m long hard pipes on the car, and screw directly onto the existing brake flexi's.

The lines are part covered with heatsleeve to protect the area of hose which runs down the sill, due to the coolant pipe also running through this same area.

not sure if they go all the way to abs unit or front hard section (have asked ebay seller)

#38 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

I've not long done this on mine, they don't go to the abs unit but there are sections you can see easily under the front bonnet that they connect to. They also do a clutch line replacement that runs down the passenger side and will also have corroded at the back end of the sill.

#39 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

I've ordered one full length one for pass side from abs to wheel arch using the hel custom order wizard on their website. If it fits ok I'll order the other side and clutch

#40 rik

rik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

Not sure the custom hose I ordered is fitting correctly on the flares. They say they are universal fittings but I'm not sure they are sealing OK. The custom one I ordered to run from the abs unit to the rear n/s wheel arch. Then to be connected to hel braided caliper lines that I already had. I put a little marker pen on the ends to see how well they seal as it should rub off on the mating surfaces when tightened

Abs end
Yby5uVcl.jpg

Rear wheel arch swivel connector
HzjDPKtl.jpg

Short Rear flexi
TForltfl.jpg

Do you think it needs a different flare for the abs? Other two are making a seal but not over the full surface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users