Pre Cut Diy Paint Protection Shields.

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#21 dumfunk

dumfunk

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:ballet,opera,rare stamps,steam locomotives,bird watching...
    REALLY??

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

Just finishing up the last of the cuts from last weeks orders so everyone should have theirs in their hand soon. 

I have one spare kit readily available if anyone wants it. If not it will go to eBay and I will buy more material when the next person orders so there would be a delay

is it a full kit pez? as i didnt want the headlight bits.....  

#22 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

They don't need to be included, I can keep a hold of them and use them for the next person that wants a kit. 

#23 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

my car is up for full respray so, PM'd

Edited by Gilgamesh, 27 February 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#24 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

my car is up for full respray so, PM'd

Replied :)

#25 oggster

oggster

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive 😉

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

hi pezley..full kit for me please...if you pm me you payment i will sort it tomorrow tia.

#26 Mikey675

Mikey675

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Pm'd

#27 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Replied to both PM's

#28 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Everyones kits are now done and should be hitting peoples doorsteps any day now. 

I had a request yesterday so need to grab some material, if anyone wants a kit now is the ideal time to shout ! 

#29 redvts

redvts

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

Ill take a set to go around the fogs the bonnet front lip and the clam sides please

#30 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

Ill take a set to go around the fogs the bonnet front lip and the clam sides please

Hi Redvts, will PM you shortly. Apologies for the delay I was rather busy over the weekend

#31 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Yesterday I went over to see MartinS and fit a kit to Laurens freshly painted black VX. What a mean car that is to follow with the new wing it looks very intimidating ! Nice day , was great to meet you both :)

The install went well and I'm sure Martin/Lauren will chime in if they are happy ( or not ! ) with the kit. With lots of talking and having a nose around each others cars it was still all done with in about 2 hours. 

A few tips and basic install guide. 

I used some stickers on to label which piece is which, this can leave a sticky residue, it will come off, use something like WD40 on it after the install has dried and it will clear up the sticky bits ( if any ) left over.

Pre requisites 

Squeegee/debit card

Soft thin cloth

Spray bottle ( water with a few drops of hand soap, mixed well )

Hair dryer

Soft dry cloth

Steps

Near enough every part goes on with the same instructions, it's a pretty basic process and the material is very flexible and forgiving, if it creases, gets stretched, twisted, scratched etc a bit of heat from a hair dryer and it will stretch back to it's original shape and finish very easily.

Step 1: Clean the car thoroughly. Any dirt or grit will be stuck there under the film so make sure it's clean. A clay bar if available is the best way

Step 2: Spray as much of the solution onto the panel as you like. Make sure it's fully covered, dripping is preferable. The soap in the solution will give you more time as it takes longer to dry out and allows the material to slide around easily.

Step 3 : Place the material over the panel, hold it firmly in place

Step 4: Gently start to use your squeegee/debit card wrapped in thin cloth to squeeze the solution out. Always making sure the film is in the correct place, the more liquid squeezed out the less the material will slide around, it will get to a point where it will stop sliding. If this happens and it's in the wrong place, gently peel it back and spray more solution over the sticky side and start this step from the beginning. If you find that there are pieces that won't go down, use a hair dryer to dry up some of the moisture and keep depressing with the squeegee. You may also find the material pinch up, again use the hair dryer. The material is very flexible under heat and will be easy to manage in these situations.

Step 5: When all the solution is out, use a dry cloth to wipe away any moisture from the top of the material, this will help you see if there's any bubbles or streaks of water still underneath.

Step 6: Leave to dry out or use a hair dryer ( on a low heat ) to just go round the edges and make sure they are fully dried.

Step 7: Find  the next panel and repeat the steps.

If at the end you see some streaks in the material and you can't get rid of them, these should disappear as it dries out naturally.

#32 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

the workshop who resprayed my car told me to wait a couple of months before applying this, is that right?

#33 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Ventureshield told me to leave the car as long as possible after a respray before having their protection applied - at least a couple of weeks. 

#34 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

http://solutions.3m....Resources/FAQs/

I have tried to find a reputable answer and Ventureshields FAQ just says to wait until the paint has cured and your body shop will be able to answer that. I'd imagine the type of paint and method would all dictate the length of time. 

#35 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm sure Martins other daughter 'Lauren' was thrilled with the car, also. ;)

#36 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

I'm sure Martins other daughter 'Lauren' was thrilled with the car, also. ;)

Ahhhhh and the edit button isn't there ! I'm gonna get a beating aren't I ! 

Sorry Lauren ! It was definitely a typo and not me being ignorant to your name

#37 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Does protection film improve the headlights to a degree, if applied to a headlight with a surface laquer peeling?

I have a little surface peeling on my headlights, and previously considered a tint film to make them look better.

#38 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Does protection film improve the headlights to a degree, if applied to a headlight with a surface laquer peeling?

I have a little surface peeling on my headlights, and previously considered a tint film to make them look better.

Hi Rosssco,

It probably won't do what you are after. The film might hide some imperfections but overall it's a very clear film. It does have a high gloss top layer to it so it may help a little if your laquer is dulled but I wouldn't count on it changing their appearence too much

#39 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

All done today and pleased with the product..the real answer will be 2-3 years when the clams etc are still in good condition

Started at 11:00 after preparing the car from 9:00

Finished at 4:00 in the afternoon after a break for lunch and see the second half of England win over the Italians

I had 13 pieces to put on and I would estimate an average of 15 minutes per piece  so 3 1/2 hours for one person, needed a another pair of hands for the biggest bit the bonnet.

Tips

1. dont do it in a any kind of wind or outside if you can to ensure dust or grit didnt get on sticky side...i didnt have any other option :(

2. The hairdrier is mandatory

3. Dont fear of getting it wrong, just squirt more soapy water and start again on everything

4. Have lots of patience and coffee :)

pics later

HH

#40 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the write up Harry, glad they went on well and you are happy. Also thanks for your review thread. I appreciate that 

After finishing up every ones kits, I have two that are ready to go if anyone needs one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users