• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 Rickwoo118

Rickwoo118

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

I really feel for you. Scumbags.....hope they get caught!

#42 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I doubt these will be offered for sale, but anyone who has requested headlights in the last 3-6months and not got any may need a cursory glance.

Especially anyone local.... *whistles and walks off...*

#43 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

2 headlights on their own, no repair work - definitely not.

Even when mine was in the state it was when Matt purchased it, 2 headlights wouldnt have written it off :)

#44 Benjymoto

Benjymoto

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Called the police and I've got an incident number. No word on them coming round and dusting for prints though. It is my only car but I can walk to work luckily.I do have one spare headlight for the drivers side but the clam will need repairing before I can fit it. I can't find any spare passenger side headlights on ebay or Gumtree so I'm going have to go through insurance. Not looking forward to the cost of renewal next year :(

#45 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

I will check in my shed to see which side the light unit is in there. Its not in great condition though but might be of help/use in the short term to save a claim

#46 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

New clam - £2500

New light -£1200

New light - £1200

Paint - £600

FItting - £500

6k claim.

#47 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

JB Clam £900

#48 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

But realistically the clam does not need to be replaced, if it is only the fibreglass mounts that need to be replaced then they can be patched back up for fcuk all. However op could claim, get yet another car written off, buy back and then simply repair claim and buy new headlights. Insurance co. get shafted for paying out, cos they have a mundane/stupid policy about repairs, op gets a boatload of cash in his hand up front, but pays out in the long-term through increased policy premiums. Alternatively, ins. Co. could just pay for clam repairing, and replacement headlights, not write off car, and gain their money back on increased premiums. Or finally OP considers options and despite how horrid this is, buys 2nd hand lights, has the mounts repaired and then has no long term expenses. Crap situation, but I know which I would go for.

#49 Duncan_F

Duncan_F

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

I really feel for you. Scumbags.....hope they get caught!

:yeahthat:

I'd be furious if this happened to me so I really feel for you, I hope those responsible suffer a long and painful death.

#50 Guesty88

Guesty88

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

It's pretty sad that people get up to stuff like this, but I suppose it always goes on in some form or another. Incidentally, when I got a JB clam I remember thinking that the fibreglass at the headlight mounts were thicker than on the OEM part, so might therefor be more difficult to pilfer from.

#51 mitm

mitm

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

Is it worth getting the light units etched with chassis number etc or will the scum just polish out of plastic. Looking at costs discussed might even be worth looking at datatag or the 'dna' coating (can't remember name) group buy??

#52 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Is it worth getting the light units etched with chassis number etc or will the scum just polish out of plastic. Looking at costs discussed might even be worth looking at datatag or the 'dna' coating (can't remember name) group buy??

I've already done this to a few items on my car. It's all very discrete and no amount of polishing is going to remove it. Also used a UV pen. All very cheap and easily done so for what it's worth it is well worth doing IMO. Unless it is really visually obvious it probably won't stop the theft in the first place but anything that may help with bringing any cnut messing with my car to justice has to be worth it.

#53 kingwowns

kingwowns

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Sorry to hear your plight mate. Rigging some kind of shotgun cartridge behind the unit on a hair trigger begins to look appealing....

#54 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

As a tubby owner i've never understood the panic over the "magic button" it does sod all really.

Lets hope fezzusus isn't far off production, you could always put up a thread and see if anyone has some spare headlights you could loan until you get yourself sorted. Is it your daily driver? 

I'll be announcing the 1st phase of this over the weekend.

Tom, reckon this could be part of the service?

#55 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

Total utter bastards

#56 hainesy

hainesy

• Pip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Proud to be the sensible majority shareholder of the Northants Pedantic Crew

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

tossers need shooting. Feel for you mate, someone nicked my indicators out of the wing once (not VX) and I was livid so to come back and find headlights gone isn't good!

#57 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

Tom, reckon this could be part of the service?

I'll investigate option, but at £12k per mould I don't really want to be paying more to have moulded individual part numbers, plus it completely removes the ability to sell on headlights.

I hope that without any marking it will help lower headlight cost and thus stop this from happening.

#58 XXX

XXX

Invisible ex-VX owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

fcuking wankers! These scumbags need they fingers severed. Really hope they get caught somehow but can't see it.

I presume there is no better way of securing the headlights to help prevent theft, given that they are attached to clam. Addition of some kind of metal bracket perhaps??

#59 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

We can make the support bits separately if needed. Our clams are probably 10 times stronger than oem in that place but it would still not be enough to stop a determined theif sadly. Maybe getting a steel cable made up with a washer at either end to secure to the headlight and chassis might be an idea.

#60 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Anyone who wants it that badly will manage to get them, sadly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users