2.2 Vs Turbo - Your Feedback?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 darkknight

darkknight

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

I expected this to be one of those really overdone topics and I've done lots of searches on the forum as well as online and can find surprisingly little feedback from owners who have had both the 2.2 and Turbo. I'm looking at a 2.2 but can't help thinking a Turbo is really worth it for the price difference.

My impression is 2.2 is more stripped out, more powerful lower down, slightly ligher in feel, more confident on corners, but suffers in straight line speed (good for twistys not for motorway), whereas Turbo has more sound insulation, slightly heavier in feel, straight line speed is better and fit/finish improvements. I'm not going to be doing motorway trips in it, its just for weekend blasts, so I'd prefer less creature comforts. The thing that gets me though is that I WANT it to feel really quick on straight bits and dont want to be outdone by every other car (which from the stats suggests would be the case far more with a 2.2 than a Turbo)

So, assuming for a moment there is NO price difference, which would you choose? ...and have you driven both?

#2 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

Seriously?! :rolleyes:

#3 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

for a SLJ , get a stage 2 turbo

#4 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

I've owned both and for me the turbo is a nicer road car. To get the thrill of driving the NA on the road you have to push hard, usually round corners, where on the road is a risk each time you do it so it's not something I like to do. So the Tubby fills the gap, you don't have to quite take the risks but there's the punch in the back for exiting the corner which gives you the smiles. That said you can always stick a SC on an NA and that gives you the power back.

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

fit a 4.17 gearbox to the NA and it will give a standard turbo a run for it's money  ;)

#6 g1977

g1977

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hello.

I am new to this and am tomorrow, probably going to buy my first car if its right. However, when I came on here asking questions a couple of chaps on here very kindly took me out in there cars, a Turbo and an NA. It might help you decide as I was having the same thoughts.

If you are new ask, there are some really top people on here, unlike many other forums.

Edited by g1977, 28 May 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#7 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Both are great cars and VERY different to drive, NA is safer in the wet on track for sure.

Keep it std and get the setup correct and you will have a very good car for road and track.

Try to get a pax in both at a VX meet for a best review.

Ive got a turbo, as always wanted that boost feeling but the NA is smoother 

(Rare question this.....  ;) )

Edited by mbes2, 28 May 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#8 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Buy the Lotus.

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

fit a 4.17 gearbox to the NA and it will give a standard turbo a run for it's money  ;)

upto 20mph , lol

#10 Boombang

Boombang

Saxo boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Had both, didn't love either.

N/A engine feels lazy and lacks character (which is exactly what the K-Series Elises have in bucketloads).

Turbo is fast but power delivery suits a hot hatch/cruiser not a 'lightweight' sports car.

Driven an S1 Elise on a few occasions, offered everything the VX220 should have (apart from the shittest roof ever).

Now have a 4AGE engine'd Westfield.  Revs to 8'400 and produces naff all power but is much more fun, albeit ridiculously compromised.

#11 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi There,

I have been lucky enough to drive a lot of Elises. I have also part owned a NA and now have a stage 2 Turbo.

You have touched on a controversial topic but in my opinion, the turbo is by far the more special car and worth every extra penny.

I cannot think of another car that could hold its own in the right conditions against this car. As standard I dont thinks its anything special. (mine was standard when I bought it) It just sounds a bit boring. But modified it makes you smile every time you drive it.

The NA was a good car but didnt have the performance I expected on the track. Down the straights I was getting mullered by scooby's, EVO's etc.

In short, buy a Turbo whilst they are still affordable. Like others have said though, you must treat it with respect in the wet.

Kind regards,

Jon

#12 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

The thing that gets me though is that I WANT it to feel really quick on straight bits and dont want to be outdone by every other car (which from the stats suggests would be the case far more with a 2.2 than a Turbo)

The NA was a good car but didnt have the performance I expected on the track. Down the straights I was getting mullered by scooby's, EVO's etc.

Neither car is meant to be a straight line boredom puller. The whole point of an elise chassis'd car is lightweight and handling. If you want straight line power then get something else, if you want the elise/vx experience get an s1  :ninja:

Go out for a pax ride in both, then a sc'd vx as well. Price will always play a part in selecting a car and an n/a with s/c is similar price to a turbo.

#13 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

Having owned a VXR220 stage 2 B) and an NA side by side I can tell you the NA for me is 1000x better for everything.  Power deliver in the turbo is a pile of w*nk and as for all the foibles the car is far to light (even the lardy ass turbo) for an engine

For comparison, I still have the NA and I had to sell one and the choice was easy.  It's the kind of car that doesn't need insane power to be an absolute hoot, infact i think too much power detracts from the experience.  As others have said, commuting, going to the shops or just driving for fun is not a race so who gives a flying f*ck if someone can out drag you on the straights.  If you want a car for that may I suggest you ask opinions over on vxronline.co.uk

rant

And yes, I have been in the pub since 11 :lol:

#14 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

I thought like that once, How did it go so wrong

#15 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

OP - as you'll see from above there isn't general consensus that one is better than the other. They offer different experience's and it really depends on what you're looking for. To figure out which is for you, as suggested above, you need to get out in one each and also be honest about your own expectations and planned use of the car. If you have owned turbo cars and crave that straight line punch then get the turbo. If you want something that is more raw with a 'purer' drive train that really rewards when you push hard, then an NA might be better (although it's really not a very characterful engine in the NA).

#16 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

I have driven all, The Turbo is a good car you just need to sort the power delivery out by a good map which is hard to get . 2.2 is a great car but just lacks in power great for small tight tracks but go to a bigger power track and you will spend most the time being blue flagged and left for dust on the straights . Throttle bodies the same as NA with a little more power still not enough . SC cars are a really good balance between enough power and being a good all rounder, stage 2 250bhp and a good set up ,is properly the best vx for road and track the power delivery is the best by far all my own opinion but it's the truth lol

#17 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

I have a turbo. I wish I had a supercharged 2.2 instead....

#18 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

I have a turbo. I wish I had a supercharged 2.2 instead....

Can be done I would love to do a engine swap for you ;-)

#19 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Surely you could just put a supercharger on the z20let? I.e the engine wouldn't need to be swapped as it's already set up for boost

#20 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

Surely you could just put a supercharger on the z20let? I.e the engine wouldn't need to be swapped as it's already set up for boost

Because pig iron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users