Photo

Crash Box And Front Clam - Yup That Again!

crash box crash structure front clam front bonnet radiator surround breaking oem

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Bad luck mate This confirms what I have said for years 1 don't be put off by cat cars 2 just cos it's not recorded dosent mean it's not been repaired Best of luck hope you find a decent crash box Try eljz parts on here Or Douglas valley breakers they always have a few The replica ones on eBay will look ok but not sure I would want to be in an accident with one of these

Edited by christhegasman, 20 December 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#22 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

That's a pisser mate thumbsdown

Did you buy from a forum member?

I believe so... but lets not get messy - We're all big boys and best plan is just get it sorted... Caviat Emptor and all that...

Dylan
Not sure I'd be as calm/mature as you.....I'd be back round his house with a length of 2x4 :lol:

Hope you get sorted quickly though. Few quid and I'm sure you'll have her back up and running in time for the better weather.
Posted Image

#23 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

Bad luck mate This confirms what I have said for years 1 don't be put off by cat cars 2 just cos it's not recorded dosent mean it's not been repaired Best of luck hope you find a decent crash box Try eljz parts on here Or Douglas valley breakers they always have a few The replica ones on eBay will look ok but not sure I would want to be in an accident with one of these

Yup the not being recorded thing can be a problem.

The Elise I had my accident in; £15.5K of repair work to put right, not recorded anywhere AFAIK. Already sold to a customer (after I drove it again)

G

#24 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

I've just nudged the batman about his crashbox but if you have no joy I may be able to source a new OEM one for you.  If you need one let me know and I'll find out how much I can get one for.

#25 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

I hope you come through mate, easy to slate & your not doing that. All the best! These guys will help you on here, use them.

#26 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

Yes, thanks. It's funny because its actually a great way to meet the group... Not my intended route but good. Got a few leads going so will see how we go.

#27 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

What's the car reg?

#28 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

I don't think he wants to go down the blame route.

#29 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Im not here for blame or retribution or to devalue my car. In fairness the damage is simply someone who (like us all at one time) has over estimated theior driving and gone off into a kerb or verge. Its all low down and low energy - after all fibreglass has no real strength...

Im here to get the forums support to gget the vx back on the road for a modest cost so that I can enjoy it as I intended when I bought it a week ago,

In fairness the support and input I have recieved has been great, and its been a great opportunity for forums to do what they do best.

In the process I have learnt that so many cars hide damage, and in some respects I am glad I see it now, and glad that withe th vx that one can spend half an hour, get a clam off and inspect damage unlike a monocoque.

Be warned all new buyers... but then be realistic. If you are confident the chassis is straight then a cat car or unregistered damaged car might be a cheap route into great motoring...

D

#30 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

...so after much trawling of the web I am left to conclude the following

- If removing damaged crashbox and not bothered about it being intact then skilsaw it off to within an inch and then attack bit by bit using much time and hot knives

- If removing a crashbox from a damaged chassis best to cut a chunk of chassis off and take the aluminium off chunk by chunk...

- BUT, what if one wants to remove an intact or partially intact crashbox from an intact chassis? - What is the definitive method?

I am left to conclude it must involve some or all of the following (+ time):

- Hot thin knives

- Kevlar twine ('Gorilla cord' or 'Zipwire' - but cant find this in uk)

- A Fein multitool - strikes me one could damage the aluminium chassis with this unless a non-metallic blade were available

- Hooked stanley blades

Has anyone concluded the best way? - I dont mind if it take a huge amount of time, just need a method...

Thanks!

#31 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

I have removed a crashbox by chopping up the chassis, it's hard work  :huh:

But basically yes to all of the items you mentioned and even more hard work  :(

I would loosen the lower section and then attack the upper section with hot knives from each side, then use the cord / wire to cut the remaining central bonding splodge

#32 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

cheers vx220 - I suppose long knives from either side would be good - someone mentioned butcher spec ones... like a pallet knife...

any leads?

#33 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

See if you can acquire a portable hot wire cutter thats the only way I would even attempt to take a crashbox off. The OEM Elise one you can use is "only" about £1200 from memory. Is a used one worth the pain? 

#34 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

hardtop guy - not sure i can see how hot wire cutter would work - will look into that

I appear to be able to get one for approx £1000 but its a last resort as this is all unanticipated cost and I see no reason why a well removed one couldnt be used.

Its a project and therefore my time is 'free' - unlike a garage or similar.

I'll go have a poke! :)

#35 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

OK member :D

#36 Potatoes

Potatoes

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

LOL

#37 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:05 AM

Ah feck it gimme a chance guys!! I'm bloody useless with anything computer... I've learned the lesson okay :)

#38 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:08 AM

:D Have you got a clam yet?

#39 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

Yup have a clam coming tuesday. My clam isn't dire but I can't live with it so will be selling on.

#40 dylan390

dylan390

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:58 AM

I'm trying to get hold of the adhesives etc for the crashbox.  Some stuff avail at eliseshop - Betaseal @ £40.

If thats the cheapest then fair enough, but anyone have any / know of other places to get the stuff, or have a proven alternative method?

I know Tigerseal has been talked about, but not sure if the bond is proven on removed chassis to new crashbox?

I have currently removed the old box and taken the majority of the old adhesive off (to within 1/2mm or so)

Options:

A (As per service manual)

- Reactivate the chassis surface using betawipe 4000 (A082B6355V) (Silmid - £6 - 15ml)

Clean crashbox with Betaclean 3900  (Isopropyl alcohol) 

- Prime crashbox with Betaprime 5404 (A082B6337V) (Silmid £13)

- Bond with Betaseal 1701 (A082B6281F)  OR: Betamate E2400 (A082B8415V) - Only one of these I can find is Betaseal @ £40 elise-shop

B

- Clean existing surface with isopropyl alcohol

- Prime crashbox and chassis with ? (FLD suggests a window fitting primer) - or could use Betaprime 5404 as its only £13.

- Clean crashbox with isopropyl alcohol (Lightly Abrade first?)

- Bond with tigerseal

What do you guys reckon?

thanks

Edited by dylan390, 11 January 2015 - 10:59 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash box, crash structure, front clam, front bonnet, radiator surround, breaking, oem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users