99 replies to this topic

#41 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

could be an option.  But that is another £1000 onto your build costs...

#42 Escy

Escy

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

if you use the 2L NA block , aka B206 , this is lighter as it is cast without the balancer shafts in the side , the shafts themselves are about 2.5kg each , plus the chain

Good information, would probably make sense, less to go wrong also. 

I wouldn't spend £1000 on the Exige style cover, if there is nothing similar cheaper i'd probably look to just modify the existing one if needed. 

I'd probably want to go charge cooler over intercooler so that's probably more weight added. Like I said before i'm not too bothered.

I have to say, I already like this forum, lots of information and everyone is friendly. I once signed up to an RX8 forum with the suggestion of an engine conversion. I had about 10 pages of slagging me off for even thinking it.

#43 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

:lol: I had the same thought about my RX8... but I think you would completely upset the balance of the car as the engine is completely different, however as a shell it's a great car with a w4nk(el) engine.

Anyway I digress.  The coupe kits were available on here for a bit, think they were around £800, so plus spraying it'll be £1k easy.  To be honest I think the edges of the hole in the clam for the boot lid will be as much in the way if it's too tall... at a guess I would say there is 1-2 inches of space above the top of the z22se block so the B204 would have to sit substantially higher chinky chinky

#44 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

Christ just do it. Old mate fitting the Volvo got the same grief about it being unsuitable and then turned out he was already fitting it after pages of people rubbishing his choice. I weigh an easy 40-50kg more than a lot of VX owners but does that make my car unusable?

#45 speedster

speedster

Future of Speed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Music Engines Birds Whiskey and Cosmology

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

Yeah... Do it if you want... just calculate the full effect, i suppose is what some of us are saying. You will have to do more than swap out the engine... if you want a safe drivable car thumbsup if you succeed it will be a great addition to the stable!

#46 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

Christ just do it. Old mate fitting the Volvo got the same grief about it being unsuitable and then turned out he was already fitting it after pages of people rubbishing his choice. I weigh an easy 40-50kg more than a lot of VX owners but does that make my car unusable?

I'm still sceptical of that t5 choice but admire his skills

#47 Escy

Escy

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

Have you got a link to the Volvo build?

#48 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

Is everyone lazy today?

#49 Gedi

Gedi

404 Not Found

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Nothing

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

I weigh an easy 40-50kg more than a lot of VX owners but does that make my car unusable?

You don't sit over the rear wheels though.

I don't think anyone's saying the car will be unusable, but it's likely to negatively effect the handling. You could even argue that more weight up front improves the balance of the car. I think the advise and opinions made were useful and Escy has a bit more info for his build

#50 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

I can't comment on any of the technical stuff but I would again bring the OP back to benefits on what he said will be a road car. I take my car up the Brecon national park and mid Wales for drives and I can honestly say that for 80% of the time the SC makes no real difference to my pace. There aren't enough places which are straight and safe enough to deploy all the power, so with 400+ those opportunities would be even less. In fact I sometimes think the car was more fun as an NA on country roads because I could drive it by the scruff of the neck more. I'm not saying don't do it, but it's an awful lot of work to only enjoy on motorway slip roads. There's a chap putting a V10 M5 engine into an elise worth reading about as a crate-ready 500bhp option if you want huge power, but I would get a turbo/sc car for the ease, reliability and resale value.

Edited by pete-r, 31 December 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#51 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

I take my car up the Brecon national park and mid Wales for drives and I can honestly say that for 80% of the time the SC makes no real difference to my pace. There aren't enough places which are straight and safe enough to deploy all the power, so with 400+ those opportunities would be even less.

I'm a bit surprised to see you say that, I go up there a fair bit and do a lot of "squirt and brake" on the twisties. Admittedly I usually go at 6 in the morning so there is next no traffic, but roads like the A4067 can lap up all the power you have as the visibility is so good.

Have you checked/considered a more suitable geo and/or some better rubber and wide wheels?

Edited by Nev, 31 December 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#52 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

Think you've made my point better than I did. Power makes you faster on straights. Geo, tyres and brakes make you faster cross country. For the roads I drive I found the car was more exploitable before charging.I don't regret doing the sc bit I'm at my sweet spot. My geo is fast road with a capitol F and my tyres are R1Rs. Because of this I carry a fair speed through bends and the extra power makes less of a difference. If I was timed maybe I'd be faster but I find I spend more time off throttle and on brakes than before naturally because you arrive at a corner and higher speed. Maybe I lack talent lol but I'm pretty quick on track. I'm not trying to put anyone off big power but I would recommend anyone try a few cars at different power points to see how much is enough for you. Also think of the delivery too because the sc torque is flatter but turbo torque will be higher at high revs.

Edited by pete-r, 31 December 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#53 pete-r

pete-r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

As a good example I took my car to the alps in '12 with some mates who had a 111r. I was na at the time so about 50bhp less but the car rinsed the Elise on the twisties. They couldn't keep the engine revs up enough coming out of bends and the 111r torque was poor. On the motorway it was the other way around though, so its horses for courses.

#54 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

I typed out a massive Saab b204 reply while on holiday, but this sh*t new tapatalk lost it... Anyway in reply to lee the b204 only made around 200bhp as standard, b234 was 225bhp in the 9000 aero (which is what I have, but mapped to 300bhp). They are big strong engines, but feck they're old - related to the 1980s b202 found in the c900 turbo. I'm not convinced it's the right choice myself. Yes they're cheap, but I doubt you'll maintain that cost saving by the time you make it fit and run - b207 forged a more sensible idea imho. Also, yes you can map t5 from home, or pay someone £50 to do it (like Saabnoob) but like slindy says I think getting t5 to talk to the rest of the car properly could be a bigger ballache than you expect.

#55 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

I have a forged b207 for sale if you're interested :D

#56 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• 22,602 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:14 PM

Who wants a fake 207? :lol:

#57 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

It's real, I touched it inappropriately the other day :lol:

#58 Graeme Lambert

Graeme Lambert

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

To be honest if lee is serious about compound charging I would have thought that would be a good place to start no? Has it had liners done? Oh and ps those bits were here waiting fore when I got back - cheers!

#59 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

I weigh an easy 40-50kg more than a lot of VX owners but does that make my car unusable?

You don't sit over the rear wheels though.

I don't think anyone's saying the car will be unusable, but it's likely to negatively effect the handling. You could even argue that more weight up front improves the balance of the car. I think the advise and opinions made were useful and Escy has a bit more info for his build

So he can just get different springs, dampers, etc and get it setup for the change in weight.

The Exige S2 has weighs more, has a battery mounted up high in the boot, an intercooler above the wheels way up high, a coupe back with more weight up higher yet no one complains about it's handling.

Edited by Bargi, 01 January 2015 - 12:04 AM.

#60 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,592 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:18 AM

Also think of the delivery too because the sc torque is flatter but turbo torque will be higher at high revs.

My turbo make 345lbft torque @ 3900. Id of thought the sc peak torque will be higher up the rev range?although with a better spread of torque? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users