• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#181 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

cars should be prepped for sale, especially something aimed to please like the VX

#182 bradley

bradley

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

Oh thanks for that.

Paintwork is fine! Much better than most older VXs I have seen.

Oh and you could always remove the "awful" sound deadening. Not sure what a grill surround costs, but hey. 

#183 jackturbostage4

jackturbostage4

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

Well somes it up then car is wreck lol joke Well 120k is the killer for majority

#184 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

Silver might be a factor too. Cosmetics won't worry buyers who want a track car - but I draw the line at silver ;)

#185 bradley

bradley

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:53 PM

I feel the same about yellow. 

#186 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

Have to say that spending a little time sorting out the minor cosmetic stuff on a car like this makes all the difference.

Anyone who wants the car to enjoy and has researched won't care too much about mileage (major engine transmission components, if it comes to that, are not expensive).

There's also been some really good press on the cars recently (check out Modern Classic this month for the most recent) and prices are definitely firming up nicely. Plus it's summer!

Hold out for the price that will make you happy.

I wish you all the best with your sale!

#187 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

Oh thanks for that.   Paintwork is fine! Much better than most older VXs I have seen. Oh and you could always remove the "awful" sound deadening. Not sure what a grill surround costs, but hey. 

Sorry Bradley, I don't want to upset you and I didn't mean it in a harsh way. It was just what I thought after driving a very long way to view a car advertised as "very good condition." I'm sure anyone else viewing it will feel the same. There are big bubbles under the right rear light and the odd small chip and crack in the the paintwork here and there. I must admit I could remove the sound deadening but a lot of buyers won't be thinking like that, most people will think the foam and rubber bits stuffed in all the nooks and crannies looks very untidy and quite dirty, the grille is a state, the heater fan doesn't work in any of the settings, the steering wheel is on a wonk when driving in a straight line and the red roof and windscreen surround has certainly lost its colour. My intentions behind this message are only helpful. I just want to give my advice as a prospective buyer why I was put off your car and hope that a little bit of paint, fixing the fan, realigning the wheel and a very good clean inside and out (especially the roof as it's not really red anymore) will probably sell the car. I sold mine for a lot more than you have yours up for with 100,000 miles. But I gave it a good clean and got it as close to factory as I could before I sold it. Before I sold it the gear cable was broken and I offered it to Joe for only £6000 because I know small things make a big difference in price when selling the car. He didn't except my offer so I replaced the gear cable myself, and got a lot of money for my afternoons work. There are cars for £7000 out there in fairly good condition. On another note, the ride is the best I've experienced in a VX220, the wheel and suspension set up is spot on for the road. You clearly know how to set a car up which I understand is your job. I believe you have done some design work for lotus? I hope I have helped you sell the car. Polish a £1000 into it in an afternoon and pay for a bit of paint because the car is mechanically sound as far as I can tell. But I would never in a month of every weekday in our calender say the paint work is in good condition, that is misleading and annoying for your possible buyers who may travel a long way. Tell the truth and send close up photos of the bad parts of paintwork. :)

Edited by gaffer1986, 22 June 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#188 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

Also, turn the gear knob the right way up, that's at least £200 on the price of a used car as an upside knob is an eye sore :D

#189 bradley

bradley

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

No problem. 

If you have a car for a long time you often don't notice things.

I had driven the car up from Bath the night before in poring rain, and didn't get a chance to clean it before you arrived. 

I've seen some tatty VXs. A work colleague had a 2003 car that looked terrible. I always get comments on how good my car looks. 

Anyway it is what it is and I think if I spend money tarting it up, its still got 120K on the clock. 

I have fixed the heater blower and steering wheel though. 

#190 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

That's a very good point about spending money on it, a standard 120,000 mile in very good condition will probably fetch around £6,500 tops but it would have to be immaculate. It's a shame the market is like that because when it comes to VX220s mileage doesn't matter as they are all old now and it comes down to how well the owner has cared for it. But unfortunately mileage plays a huge price factor in the used car market. I think you will struggle to sell it as is for more than £5000 but find a cheap but good paint shop, spend £500 sorting the bubbles under the rear light and hopefully they will tart up the chipped/cracked bits of paint around the door, spend a while cleaning it and maybe painting the plastic interior bits (I can't remember the condition of these) and you will probably shift it for nearer £6,200 I guess. The tear in the drivers seat bolster doesn't need to cost more than £50 to put right if you know the right trimmer. You could sew it yourself if you're careful. The roof should come up well with a good scrub, it doesn't look like it's been properly cleaned and treated for 60k miles. I know what you mean when you say you don't notice things when you own it, I do that also. But honestly, your car rides the best I've ever experienced on the road. Very smooth without losing the sharp edge the VX220 is renowned for. It benefits from a pro alloy rad, lighter discs, wheels, suspension and new cam chain. Not sure if you can prove the cam chain though which will be important for most.

Edited by gaffer1986, 23 June 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#191 bradley

bradley

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

Had a couple of buyers pull out because they've read the opinion of a guy on this forum who has seen the car. 🙁

#192 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:27 AM

Did they see the car before they pulled out?

#193 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:09 PM

I'm guessing they haven't or they would have made there own judgement and not listened to me. If two people are no longer showing interest in your car because of what I have said I have saved them a journey as they would have seen it for themselves. The fact is you advert says fantastic condition which is misleading and damn right out of order. Fix it or be honest with your advert, don't blame the condition of your car and therefore the reason it is not selling on me. I'm glad I saved them the journey!

#194 bradley

bradley

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

Your just making it worse. Please stop.

#195 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:28 PM

Gaffer, I can't believe you haven't been called out for this yet. Condition is pretty subjective; one man's great is another man's average, especially on a 10+ year old car. If the prospective buyer wants pictures before they travel then that would always be wise. Worst of all, I can't believe you are trying to justify yourself!

#196 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

Gaffer, I can't believe you haven't been called out for this yet. Condition is pretty subjective; one man's great is another man's average, especially on a 10+ year old car. If the prospective buyer wants pictures before they travel then that would always be wise. Worst of all, I can't believe you are trying to justify yourself!

Fair point Myles. I don't want to do anyone any harm especially Bradley as he is a top man so I'm happy for my posts to be deleted. I was trying to give some advice to help the car sell. In hindsight a PM probably would have been more appropriate and I will probably not post a comment on someone else's vehicle in the future. My bad, I think I owe Bradley an apology.

Edited by gaffer1986, 24 June 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#197 myles

myles

Sausagefest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

No worries mate.

#198 kevlar

kevlar

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

Reading this with a lot of interest, i'm in the market for a vx, without even seeing this conversation I had already decided not to look at that vx or even pm asking about, (sadly its about 10 miles from where i live according to autotrader - which is gutting!) -  due to two points.

1. Its got 120k on it, way to much for me.

2. At around £6k my own mind tells me its not going to be in mint condition.

In my mind i would read gaffer1986's points with the oppposite as a potential buyer looking for a vx on that budget I would use his points as a bargaining tool - in my mind if people read the comments made and its put them off vewing your vx they are looking for a perfect vx for £6k...good luck with that.

Good luck with the sell, i'm sure for the right person its a great base car to work from if they had the knowledge time and skill.

#199 bradley

bradley

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

It's all cool. Although it looks like I won't get what I hoped for the car, it's still been low depreciation over the 6 years I've owned it. Alternatively I might decide to keep it. I'll then have four cars. Is that too many? I'm purposely not using it, because I know a soon as I drive it I'll want to keep it. However, if anyone does want to come and see it and make up their own mind they are very welcome.

#200 kevlar

kevlar

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

It's all cool. Although it looks like I won't get what I hoped for the car, it's still been low depreciation over the 6 years I've owned it. Alternatively I might decide to keep it. I'll then have four cars. Is that too many? I'm purposely not using it, because I know a soon as I drive it I'll want to keep it. However, if anyone does want to come and see it and make up their own mind they are very welcome.

Im fairly confident you could never have to many cars...currently trying to get the wife on side so i can have a second 'fun' car...why not supercharge it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users