• Please log in to reply
487 replies to this topic

#361 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

The Golf GTI, Fiesta ST and MX5 are all far more polished and accomplished cars than the Elise. Performance is only one factor, if you are only interested in performance per £ a Caterham is better than the Elise.

My comment is based on the fact that the Elise is around 18 years old with barely any significant update and a cheap engine. If they sold big numbers they could get production costs for such a simple machine down to £10,000 I'm guessing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#362 gaffer1986

gaffer1986

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:44 PM

The problem with the Elise is that no one wants one. So Lotus can't produce the numbers to achieve the economies of scale needed to make it affordable. Due to this inefficiency you end up with a car that is intrinsically the same value of a segment b warm hatch being priced the same as a far more technologically, ergonomically and reliably advanced BMW M2.

Needless to say, I'm one of the few people in the world who would choose an Elise over an M2 if I could only have one car. It's a shame more people don't like plastic sh*t boxes, if they did they would be far more affordable and have lights and heaters that actually helped on a cold winters night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#363 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 20 November 2018 - 06:56 PM

People forget there is a thing called inflation. The original s1 was 18k which is 40k today so you actually get more car for your money than you did in 1996. These days all new cars are pretty expensive. Even 10 years ago you could buy a meganesport for 15k they are now 30. The Elise only looses about 20% of it's value in the first 10 years of it's life too so they can be a surprisingly sensible choice.

The Elise is forgotten really Lotus have lacked the investment to keep up with the market so it's a fantastic but irrelevant car. Yes you could buy an m2 and be bored with it in 3 days but these days the consumer is more interested in driveway appeal and cup holders. Alfa 4c is the same just no market for it and the alpine a110 looks to heading for a similar fate. That sector is a nightmare and if rumours are true the s2 platform will be killed off in 2 years when the geely cars come through. Personally I can see no sense in making a new Elise as the sector just isn't in demand any more.

#364 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:31 PM

Hopefully that Lotus SUV thing is succesfull, leaving room for the elise to remain.

#365 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

Young people today want the badge, the posing value, 47 cupholders, 42inch TV in the dash, heated seats and an electric condom dispenser in their cars, and those are the ones who actually want to drive cars. More youngsters than ever are leaving it later and later to get a driving licence.  We're a dying breed, those of us who really want to drive analog cars, the playstation generation is here... Instant gratification and easy peasy driving with image...

#366 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:59 PM

I agree it's going to become an old boys hobby luckily most new cars are shite so should keep the market for the old stuff decent until I retire

#367 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

Young people today want the badge, the posing value, 47 cupholders, 42inch TV in the dash, heated seats and an electric condom dispenser in their cars, and those are the ones who actually want to drive cars.

This is so true, in spades. :(

I find most people are thoroughly ignorant of what they buy & use (and not just with cars), often on a whim and usually with no real forethought to real world use. You only have to look at the fast turn around of VX220s, some people even buy them and sell them in the same year!

Edited by Nev, 20 November 2018 - 09:05 PM.

#368 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:46 PM

Fuck me, those last few posts are depressing... :(

#369 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:16 PM

What's the going rate for a good condition average mileage standard na, vxt,vxr now a days?

Do you think of parting with your vxr?
Still enjoying it. But I do know it will shift quickly when I do decide to sell it. :)

Edited by Mani, 20 November 2018 - 11:16 PM.

#370 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:02 AM

Depends how you price it :rolleyes:

#371 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Who’d want a yellow VXR....I mean c’mon 🙄😉

#372 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:07 AM

When nobody actually stumps the cash up let me know Mani :D 

#373 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:01 PM

Young people today want the badge, the posing value, 47 cupholders, 42inch TV in the dash, heated seats and an electric condom dispenser in their cars, and those are the ones who actually want to drive cars.

This is so true, in spades. :(

I find most people are thoroughly ignorant of what they buy & use (and not just with cars), often on a whim and usually with no real forethought to real world use. You only have to look at the fast turn around of VX220s, some people even buy them and sell them in the same year!

I laughed out loud, very loud at this. I bought my VX just over 2 years ago from someone who had bought it a month earlier and decided it wasn't for them! 26 months later and I am still loving it.

#374 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:57 PM

some people even buy them and sell them in the same year!

Some people keep coming back or have more than one!!
Some people don’t get involved in the best bit- the social side.
Some people don’t use it for what it’s best at.
All life is here!
It takes all sorts...

#375 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:19 PM

some people even buy them and sell them in the same year!

Some people keep coming back or have more than one!!
Some people don’t get involved in the best bit- the social side.
Some people don’t use it for what it’s best at.
All life is here!
It takes all sorts...

Some people just spend all their time polishing it.

#376 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:49 PM

Who’d want a yellow VXR....I mean c’mon 🙄😉

I think you have hit the nail on the head :)

#377 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

When nobody actually stumps the cash up let me know Mani :D

Jon I know you will be there for me ;)

#378 Mani

Mani

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:55 PM

For clarity I have no plans of selling my yellow vxr. But was only reflecting that thanks to a good strong demand for vxr, it shouldn't hang around if it does go on the market. Never say never.

But really pleased that tidy vxt and na are holding up really well. Great investment which you can enjoy!

#379 Solid 5/10

Solid 5/10

• 8 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

Prices looking good? 

Well we are driving an ICON, says so in this months CAR Magazine page 125 - good bit of publicity and worth a look. 

#380 mowflow

mowflow

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:21 AM

Interesting read from my perspective as a buyer.

I've spoken to a few people over the last few weeks who have commented that they are "thinking about selling" or are holding off to the better weather to sell, presumably expecting a better price. There aren't many for sale at the moment but there are certainly cars out there if you REALLY wanted one tomorrow. What will be interesting is how this year pans out with our economy entering uncharted waters. I remember the last time our economy imploded in 2007 and toys were the first thing to go when the belts needed tightening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users