#421 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

Fuel system upgrade bits:

034Motorsport mini surge tank with internal Bosch 044
Corvette fuel filter with integrated 4bar fuel pressure reg (dead-head returnless system)
Metric sh*t tonne of speedflow 200 series adapting the various 3/8 and 5/16 GM quick release fittings, Bosch and surge tank threads, all into standard AN6. Running speedflow 200 nylon with black stainless braid (bend radius impressively small).

Posted Image

#422 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:31 AM

off to the waterjet today...

Posted Image

#423 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Speedster//VX ones are for instance SKF VKBA 3513 ones (5-bolt with speed sensor)

Bye, Arno.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#424 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:16 AM

Cool thumbsup

And not even 'made in China' :D

Oh.. BTW.. Don't bother trying to use the included bolts 'as is' to attach the bearing packs to the uprights, they are much too long for the Speedster/VX application to use un-modified. (Vectra/Astra front uprights are much deeper/thicker). Either you'll need to cut these down to lenght if you do want to use these or re-use the ones that come from the existing Tesla uprights as you dis-assemble those.

When fitting these bearing units to the (cleaned and de-rusted) uprights I like to use some thick conserving/anti-corrosion grease on the opening in the upright that the bearing unit locates into. Helps reduce the amount of water that wicks into this. Otherwise they do have a nasty habit of rusting very tightly into the fitting so it becomes 'big hammer' and frustration time to ever get them out again. BTW.. 90Nm for the 3 bolts that hold the bearing pack to the upright.

Bye, Arno.

#425 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

such a pleasure working on this car and not having to reinvent the wheel every step of the way!

#426 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

it lives !!
Well, it turns on, the ignition works, and nothing caught on fire :)

Posted Image

Part of that system check was testing the W2A cooler thermostat circuit, and override switch (thanks for the idea Allen). All works, and I'm stoked with my hack-job wiring. Punters tip: fabric loom tape cam make anyone look like a pro :)

Posted Image

Edited by Doctor Ed, 10 August 2016 - 07:07 PM.

#427 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:42 AM

Here's today's 40 worth of bits (chromolly kevlar rod ends (M10 L&R) inserts and tube etc). my welding is getting a little more respectable too. Plan is to slip a 2mm wall 3K Carbon sleeve over the top. the steel bar assembly itself is plenty strong enough, but it's a little springy if you jump up and down in it. I figure a solid sleeve of carbon will stiffen it up a few fold, plus it'll look rather flash ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#428 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

After chewing on it overnight... i've decided to bump up the tube size a notch. It's just a little too springy for my taste, and considering I'm going to have a harness wrapped around it, I'd prefer it to be a little stiffer. So I'll use the tube thats there as a sleeve to get it up to size, chop the middle length out and slip fit the next size tube on. Quick maths says for a 100kg load at the center on the current beam, I've got a 33mm deflection @ 9500bar (sounds about right having stood on it) Simply stepping up a size tube (same 1.5mm wall thickness) drops deflection to 22mm @ 7300bar And just for kicks, I roughly looked at having the harness installed offset from the middle of the the beam (200mm offset from the center) and looked at a 20g crash. Assuming 1/3 of my 100kg body weight would be held by the shoulder harness, that's a 600kg load... Gives a 29mm deflection @ 26000bar (vs 43mm with the current tube size). So next size up it is :) Woven 3k carbon tube over the top (1.5mm wall) will halve that again if you believe the numbers, but I'd rather not rely on it

Edited by Doctor Ed, 13 August 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#429 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

what bhp are you aiming for with the A20NFT ?

Posted Image

#430 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

Less than that one :) Nah, 340 odd unopened

#431 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:01 PM

While I applaud the 'DIY' effort, why not just buy an S2 K-series harness bar as you used that roll-over bar anyway?

https://www.elisepar...8/harness-bars/

Bolt in, done..

Bye, Arno.

#432 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

no reason really. I could make up a reason to justify it, like mines less that 1/2 the price of the above, but Id be lying, as I never really considered price. I just like making stuff

Edited by Doctor Ed, 13 August 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#433 BadCop

BadCop

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:50 PM

What does that picture have to do with A20NFT?

#434 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

What does that picture have to do with A20NFT?  

it is a picture of a piston I removed from an A20NFT engine, so shows how weak the standard pistons are when you go above 350bhp thumbsup  

#435 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

To be fair, it's a bit of an unusual piston failure. Busted ring land on a thrust face? Witness marks elsewhere? Detonation? Other Pistons? I wouldnt be generalizing to "how weak the pistons are" based on a single failure.

#436 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

Apparently it's a common problem, but only above 350 bhp, below that they are fine :)

#437 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

Any sources worth reading on that? The only issues I've heard/read about was something about hydrolocking and a recall coming out having broken ring lands and pistons. (And that's obviously not hp dependent). Otherwise I'd just imagine it's just a case of OEM cast piston meets sh*t-ton of boost? Common sense would need to play a role there before pushing your luck at 200hp/L

#438 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

To be fair, it's a bit of an unusual piston failure. Busted ring land on a thrust face? Witness marks elsewhere? Detonation? Other Pistons? I wouldnt be generalizing to "how weak the pistons are" based on a single failure.

Lspi

#439 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

That certainly kills di engines, but isn't related to peak hp output

#440 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:02 PM

That certainly kills di engines, but isn't related to peak hp output

Agreed, but you don't know if the engine failed at peak output. It's certainly looks like a common lspi failure

Edited by fezzasus, 13 August 2016 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users