• Please log in to reply
1268 replies to this topic

#381 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

and the manufacturing date on the cable (seen in one of the pics) is 2005. does that necessarily mean its a hall effect sensor?

Yes. Opel/GM has switched to BOSCH or ATE ABS units in 2004 that use hall-effect wheel sensors in the hubs.

what kind of sensor/output is the 'normal' sensor?

Inductive/VR sensors. Used in the Speedster/VX for all models and Toyota Elises between 2004 and 2010 for use with the Kelsey-Hayes ABS system. Used by Opel/GM in since 1997 or so in various Corsa/Astra/Vectra ABS equipped cars. Bye, Arno.

#382 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

Bugger

#383 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Used in the Speedster/VX for all models and Toyota Elises between 2004 and 2010 for use with the Kelsey-Hayes ABS system. Used by Opel/GM in since 1997 or so in various Corsa/Astra/Vectra ABS equipped cars. Bye, Arno.

I assume the later exige 4 channel abs unit also uses the inductive trigger then? And it's only the very late models (>2011) that use the Hall effect sensors (despite GM using it since 2004)? No way out really then than new hubs

#384 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

It's a good thing then, that they a astra/vectra hubs, so cheap :happy:

#385 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

I assume the later exige 4 channel abs unit also uses the inductive trigger then? And it's only the very late models (>2011) that use the Hall effect sensors (despite GM using it since 2004)?

Correct. Unless you manage to blag a BOSCH ABS unit off of a very recent Elise/Exige (or of course a Tesla ;) ), but as they have moved to a more CAN-based setup as far as control systems go (ECU, TC/ESP and ABS) it may be harder to interface or at least keep happy enough so it works without grumbling too much.

BOSCH motorsport ABS is very cool, but at over EUR5000 it's not that affordable..

No way out really then than new hubs

At least they are not that crazy expensive..  

Speedster//VX ones are for instance SKF VKBA 3513 ones (5-bolt with speed sensor)

Bye, Arno.

#386 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:06 PM

Grinder and paint, makes you the welder you ain't

Modded the seatbelt anchors on the S2 roll bar to accommodate the seatbelt pretensioner system of the vx

Posted Image

Posted Image

#387 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

At least they are not that crazy expensive..   Speedster//VX ones are for instance SKF VKBA 3513 ones (5-bolt with speed sensor)   Bye, Arno.

Dug some skf up for 70/pc. Still hurts x4 :(

#388 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

Grinder and paint, makes you the welder you ain't

Modded the seatbelt anchors on the S2 roll bar to accommodate the seatbelt pretensioner system of the vx

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't understand why this was needed. Mine fitted in and the seat belts bolted up perfect.

#389 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:25 PM

the S2 (on this car anyway) didnt have belt pretensioners. the belt scroll/cage assembly was much smaller than the vx with pretensioner, meaning:

1- the offset of the mounting face from the bar wasnt enough, and the cage of the seatbelt holder/retract mechanism hit the bar, preventin the seatbelt mech from bolting down

2- that T shaped slot for the secondary seat belt retention didnt exist on the S2 bar (simply had an antirotation pin)

#390 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

had to modify the mounts on the rollbar for the roof fasteners. Converted from long-roof to short-roof. Jigged up the mounts on the old bar, welded to the jig, cut off, transferred, adapters made, all welded back together. They might be ~1mm out compared to initial measurements, but hopefully I can reel that in with a bit of fudging.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#391 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

Not sure if your bar was the same as mine then? It looks different as the top mounts didn't need to be touched. The seat belts and pretensiors all bolted in fine. The vx stays also bolted into the rollover bar and subframe fine. Only problem was bonding the vx bulkhead back to the rollover bar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#392 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, you've got an S2 short roof bar. Mines from a long roof (all I could find available around the traps) I def recommend not getting a long roof version of you can avoid it. A lot of work you could avoid if you can just get a short roof to start with

Edited by Doctor Ed, 15 July 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#393 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

What issue did you have bonding it to the rear bulkhead?

#394 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

Not so much of a issue just bonding it on was the only issue tbh. Just being careful to cut the bulkhead from the vx rollover bar. You do know that the short roof metal brackets for the rollover bar can be bought from lotus for about £10 each they need welding on tho.

#395 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:57 PM

´those brackets you can buy? well i asked someone i thought would know that ( :huh: ) and they basically shrugged at me. so no, i didnt know that! bugger! we'll ill guess well see how DIY lines up! if not, angle grinder, phonecall to lotus, procure parts, start again

#396 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:49 PM

Posted Image

#397 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

So... those tesla hubs...
...doesn't a Hall effect sensor have 3 wires?

Posted Image

Posted Image

IC fan thermostat display and relay controller. Fits nicely where the chassis number should be. Chinese inline temp sensor mount to fit the 25mm IC return line out of the core.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally, the ABS module of my car got munched in an accident, and whilst I've got a replacement ABS block from th donor, my original loom needs to stay. Now lo and behold, there's one ripped wire, and I've got a gut feeling that's the yellow wire I needed to cut into for the ABS cutout switch.

Posted Image

#398 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 03:05 PM

Sorry, meant to obviously add... Can anyone confirm that this is in fact 'that yellow wire' ??

#399 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 06:34 AM

apparently the lighting in the warehouse is really shitty, and im colourblind.

yes theres 2 yellow wires

yes one of them has a faint grey stripe

yes the one that got serendipitously torn is the solid yellow one (the right one!)

lol

Edited by Doctor Ed, 18 July 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#400 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

according to the TIS wiring information (see info Speedsterclub.nl);

Yellow 0.75 wire is from/to sensor B25: wheel speed front left. :happy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users