• Please log in to reply
1266 replies to this topic

#81 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

Nope. Although to be fair gaskets are usually the last thing I buy as I'm screwing things together. They usually just get lost or bent if they sit around too long :) Just got offered a set of basically new nitron 46mm 3-ways with ex. reservoir and 550/700 springs for about half rrp. Still obscenely expensive, but oh so tempting. So tempting!

Courtney in the UK carry the gaskets, but they're pretty expensive. I think it's £40 for the gasket between the manifold and the charger.

#82 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

Can't really comment on much of that as I haven't looked at in in detail. What I can say is that the flow out of the bonnet vents tends to slip around the sides of the windscreen/past the side mirrors, and over the hips at the back, it goes nowhere near the roof.

yes it does, however without modeling the flow through the rad and bonnet vents the split between flow under and over the car is completly wrong. on your models this has lead to too much flow under the car which in turn makes the low pressure wake behind the car too high this is why you aren t see flow to the wing, it should be lower and will suck the flow down to the rear of the car. not sure what software you are using but the patchy pressure contours suggests its not resolved the model correctly and doesnt look like your wheels are rotating which is also critial to get the flow right.

#83 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

Its only meant to be a qualitative model to see gross flow character differences between design changes. I'm also deliberately pumping a LOT of air under the car to accentuate the diffuser function. Makes a terrific rooster tail on the pics :) Never said its was a super detailed flow study, just looking at how the shape generally behaves

#84 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:43 PM

Clam can be redesigned. It's been done.

Posted Image

#85 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

Posted Image

#86 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

Clam can be redesigned. It's been done.
Posted Image

Stop it I already masturbated today.

#87 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

'twas the best of times, 'twas the worst of times...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#88 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Do you have this picture in a side view?
Did you simulate with a small low sitting wing?

Where did you get the speedster 3d model from?

And what do you mean with
"from a downforce point of view is prett much sitting on its hands without the wing"

and part 3 - same diffuser, just run without the wing. no surprise really, diffuser reduces drag from the brick shape butt-zone, but from a downforce point of view is prett much sitting on its hands without the wing

Posted Image

#89 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

I'll run it for you and post the pics :)

#90 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:16 PM

Thanx

#91 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

note to self:

M32 is a 7/8" 20T input spline

http://tiltonracing....tch-disc-packs/

[color=rgb(255,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', arial, sans-serif;font-size:16.7972px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]SKU: [/color]64185-8-VV-25

US$250 pack

Edited by ed.oates, 08 March 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#92 Winstar

Winstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:17 AM

Its only meant to be a qualitative model to see gross flow character differences between design changes. I'm also deliberately pumping a LOT of air under the car to accentuate the diffuser function. Makes a terrific rooster tail on the pics :) Never said its was a super detailed flow study, just looking at how the shape generally behaves

You've missed my point if you don't get the front flow split right you don't even get that it is just wrong.

#93 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

i got the information i needed out of it. the pretty pictures are purely entertainment

#94 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:12 AM

meanwhile, been working on getting my seat to fit in this tiny, tiny chassis  :huh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#95 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

Finally got that goddamn roll bar out! My god, what a PITA that was! Still managed without busting anything, sills intact, firewall intact. Happy days. I can't imagine a shop would do it this way though, there's no way that's economical! Cut the B pillar part of the sill moulding perhaps? Anyway, still tossing up options, but one things for certain, the std vx bar is not going back in! Seriously, that thing is dangerous. I'm glad lotus calls it just a 'seat belt mount'. Really, x2 50% cut outs?? Did Vauxhaull change the brief half way through, and suddenly they wanted more seat adjustability? How can an engineer justify chopping chunks out of a roll bar?! It's insane. If nothing else, I'll put a std S2 Elise bar in, it might be smaller tube stock, but at least it's an actual complete round tube without 2 massive stress risers in it. I haven't ruled out a proper cage, but I'm very rapidly running out of room, I'm not sure it's feasible (and it's not a race car). I've got an idea to put a diagonal cross in the engine bay though (and remake the rear stays). That will help at least with a little triangulation Ps, whilst dicking around seeing what my options were, I chopped the head rest parts off the vx bar, and for those interested, they weigh 1200grams complete

#96 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:47 AM

How can an engineer justify chopping chunks out of a roll bar?! It's insane.

It's so stupid even a 10 year old girl can see it's flaw, God knows what cuntpuffin made that decission !

#97 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

Was likely a last-minute change before the introduction of the VX/Speedster.

Early promo-shots and video's of the prototype cars did not have these secondary headrest things, but they suddenly showed up on the production cars.

BYe, Arno.

#98 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

Lol @ cuntpuffin! Haven't heard such a term of endearment before :) I sourced a £50 S2 rollbar, so looks like that's the direction I'm going for now. I'm 6'4" so trying to sort seating head/-legroom including a helmet is a challenge. The seats back edge is tucked under the bar, sitting up near the firewall, so a diagonal within the main hoop is impossible. I'll weld in a harness bar, but it's still not a terrific compromise. Hopefully a diagonal in the back will be doable with new stays. Might also weld in anchor points for roof/a-pillar/sainz bars at a later stage. At least the mounts/option will be there. Cuntpuffin... Hehe

#99 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

Having not previously removed a VX220 roll bar could you post some photos up showing the cut outs?

#100 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

Was likely a last-minute change before the introduction of the VX/Speedster.

Early promo-shots and video's of the prototype cars did not have these secondary headrest things, but they suddenly showed up on the production cars.

BYe, Arno.

Absolutely a last minute change; my dad's likely responsible for it, he sat in a pre-production one and hit is head getting out, a few engineers started scribbling away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users