• Please log in to reply
1266 replies to this topic

#121 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

So as far as I'm can see: - there's a tick more inclination in the S2 (put the top of the skinnier hoop further back, so it meets the firewall correctly?) - the profile, and the tube size offers a lot more space under the hoop, particularly where the head is. (Good for me as I'm setting the seat riiightt back there). - seatbelt hanger bolts are basically identical - seatbelt spool anchors only mildly different (upper hole is round/not slotted) - there's a proper reinforced bolt hole free for a harness bar on the S2 - rear stay mounts are basically at the same location. S2 mounts on mine are angled slightly differently, are shorter, and slightly bigger diameter. This is ok as I'm making new rear stays, but def wouldn't work with the vx rear stays

#122 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:59 PM

Do you know what model-year car the Elise hoop is off of?

The reason I ask is that the early S2's (2001-2002) had so-called 'long tail' softtops and they have slightly different mounting points/tabs welded on the hoop and could not fit a hardtop.

The later cars (2003-onward) got the VX style 'short softtop' and also then got the hardtop option.

Not really a big issue, but if your hoop is from an early car you may need to move/change the welded brackets for the soft- and hardtop side-rails forward.

I expect you might need some small alterations on the VX rollbar-cover too here and there because of the smaller pipe diameter.

Bye, Arno.

#123 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Sorry, left that off my list of differences. Yes, the top mounts are completely different. I don't know from which model nor year this bar is from unfortunately. The mounts are different bolt pattern, and are located around 20-30mm further back. I'll need to jig it somehow (really no common point on either of the bars other than the feet to mount a jig to!) and weld the vx mounts on. You can see that difference in the pics

Edited by ed.oates, 19 March 2016 - 09:11 PM.

#124 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

That's what they do with the official Lotus 'short roof conversion' kit they sell to change from the old long-tail to the current short-tail.

It has new brackets and a small spacer/jig that you basically bolt onto the old ones. Then weld the new ones onto the bar and grind off the old brackets afterwards.

Shape of the brackets is likely tied to the opening/shape in the rollbar cover which is a little different between the VX and Elises even though AFAIK the plastic receptacles for the side-bars on the soft and hardtops that are bolted onto these brackets are in the end the same.

Bye, Arno.

#125 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:17 PM

So, the donor car tuned up (thanks to turboluca) Not sure I believe the tacho, but by the numbers - a 6000mile turbo, leather interior. Everything basically stock and in good nick, stage 2/240hp apparently. Starts and runs cleanly. Aside from it being a moldy, smelly, crashed POS with rattlecan matt black paint, it's actually a pretty decent donor vehicle. Certainly cheap enough! Front clam is fcuked, crashbox surprisingly intact, rad support busted, as well as the radiator therein. Both headlights cactus. Obviously a RHD, but I've got several LHD bits to get me out of trouble. We'll see how that goes. Meanwhile, amongst the recent spending spree acquisitions: New 46mm nitrons Near new charcoal ATS DTC 7.5/9" with toyo R1Rs New Bosch 044 with 034motorsports surge tank New 2pint accusump New Robin S1 splitter (the big one) Steering rack rebuild kit inc broze cups. Add that to 300/310 tesla brakes and uprights Ds2500 pads MBR 1" ARB Seat/mounts S2 rollbar And we're starting to get somewhere On the immediate 'to buy' list: Goodridge brake lines Suspension bushes/joints Need to get the susp arms all blasted and coated in the meantime Front splitter tray in the works. Front clam repair +- headlights So yeah, bit for bit coming together.

#126 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

Jeeze, such a major project, are you logging your hours ?!

#127 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

Nope. It'll just be done when it's done. its not really that big a project, these cars are dead simple things, not really "that much" involved in them. I'm on the fence what to do with the engine/box at present. Fortunately enough to keep me distracted whilst I figure it out.

#128 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

Donor car arriving from the UK

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Posted Image[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Posted Image[/color]

Edited by ed.oates, 30 March 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#129 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Charcoal ATS DTC 7.5/9.0" x17" with 225/240 Toyo R1Rs[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]8.5kg and 8.8kg /rim respectively[/color]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ed.oates, 30 March 2016 - 06:13 PM.

#130 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:14 PM

'new' less shitty looking clam to replace the completely FUBARd one

love the vinyl. not

Robins Splitter sidled up for a demo fitting to see where it all wants to sit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ed.oates, 30 March 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#131 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:16 PM

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Amongst other goodies... créme de la créme[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]46mm 3 ways... fcuked if I know how to tune 3 ways, guess I'll have to figure it out. #firstworldproblems[/color]

#132 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

Have those nitrons on mine. Very good once you get your head round setting them :wub:

#133 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

Are those the 3 ways from the German forum? Too much hassle for me, but was doubting a bit these were actual 46's as the helper platform looked more like the 40 NTR's?

#134 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

Ive got the original receipt from Westermann Motorsport. They're 46's :)

#135 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

Looks very nice. Any low wing aero sim going on?

#136 Mangham54

Mangham54

Wannabe....

• 12,034 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:37 AM

And are theubthe correct length for the vx220? As I seem to recall a fuss over Nitrons being supplied with the wrong top mounting length. No enough dropped sir?

#137 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

I hope so :) Low wing aero is on my to-do list

Edited by ed.oates, 31 March 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#138 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

after much dicking around, and some getle encouragement with the angle grinder... seat fits!

had to move the center console / shifter over a complete set of holes (note the RHD console surround, in the LHD setup), similarly, ive needed to shift the passenger seat over about 20mm (wheres theres no holes) so will have to whip out the rivnut gun and make some new mounts for it, but... long story short, it all fits.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ed.oates, 31 March 2016 - 09:41 PM.

#139 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

quick tacked together demo of the M32 linkage. basically flipped the gate direction to work with the vx shifter / rwd mounting

also reduces the throw (side to side) by about 20% (from 50mm down to 40mm lever arm change - needed for cable clearance) but im making the gearstick longer, and reducing the fore/aft gate throw a similar amount, so itll all feel quite balanced, albeit with a short-shifter snap to it

Posted Image

Edited by ed.oates, 31 March 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#140 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

and finally for today little effort...

8mm ply dummy splitter tray. still fiddling around with how best to integrate this with the Robin splitter, as well as the OEM clam and crashbox. i want to design it to be able to carry a heavy load, but also not completely destroy the front of the car if it decides to dig into the ground. not sure thats a possible compromise, but we'll see

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users