Project Fracas - 6Sp A20Nft

• Please log in to reply
1266 replies to this topic

#1141 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

So much detail and care going into this build, hopefully it'll be moderately bug free when you go for your first drive. I can only think of 1 other build that was more involved than this one (and it wasn't mine!).

Edited by Nev, 22 December 2018 - 06:04 PM.

#1142 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:37 PM

Thanks nev. it takes a surprising amount of effort and detail to keep things as simple as possible. Hopefully through simplicity comes a degree of bug-free ness. But hey, modified cars. Could explode. Roll the dice!

#1143 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:13 PM

Sikaflex cured overnight, so pipework is now holding its own :)

Final layout now clearly visible. Needs some hose clamps but is pretty much finished :yup: it's all pretty compact when you consider how much pipework for the whole system is packed in this tiny little engine. 4" intake, 3" intercooler, 3.5" dump pipe etc.

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2784_2.JPG

Neighbours are home for the Xmas break, so no garage access for me till they're gone again. Need to find something to work on...

#1144 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

This is a great job. thumbsup

#1145 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

on proper speakers (not phone) the sound comes over pretty well. on the phone it sounds like a tin full of nails

Edited by Doctor Ed, 23 December 2018 - 08:16 PM.

#1146 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

also half decent audio  :happy:

#1147 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 01:25 PM

First time it’s really be revved, and seemingly lots of condensation in the system! :lol: plus it’s about 2deg at the moment. Might let it warm up more next time...

#1148 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:35 PM

Knocked a bunch of small shitty stuff off the list. Amongst other invisible and relatively unexciting things, I finally got the tablet-based dash hardwired in. The galaxy tab seems to require a tonne of amps to sustain charge, so sourced a 3A usb 12v adapter and according to some current app seems to pump out a reliable 1800-2000mA. Had to attack the wiring behind the dash (which suck dicks) and splice in a power supply. But happy days! Have race capture, real dash, track addict and dash command running (actually bought apps!). Was happily surprised to find the paid version of real dash has map navigation built in too, which is unreal. Really worked out well :)

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

#1149 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

Had a couple of hours off work today due to a massive city wide power failure which destroyed our IT dept, and shut down pretty much the whole theatre complex and took all our systems offline. Thanks blokes... I'm going home.

So made a thermoplastic mould of the roof scoop, and finished glassing it up last night

IMG_3454.JPG

popped the plug out (popped being a very generous term for busting the fcuker up into small chunks) and am super satisfied with the result. its a complex compound curve which is a PITA to photograph, so forgive the 11ty pics, but im very happy with myself. symmetrical flowing curves :) the transition of the roofline curve into the duct actually works easy on the eye despite the duct opening being relatively huge. aerodynamically it'll work too. might be a bit of floor separation but i can live with that.

glass filler and a bit of blocking tomorrow, then ill give it a hit with poly 2k spray filler

IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3498.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

#1150 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

Silk Cut Scoop - filled, reprofiled, blocked smooth and cut to final dimensions :)

It’s a PITA little thing to try and show in a pic, so here’s a short video to give a bit of 3D. It’s huge!

and some pics of the same thing, because, well, can never have enough pics

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

#1151 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:38 AM

and for something a little different...

decided to splurge on a race capture pro (got one cheap on facebook) and as an offshoot of that, decided their tablet based dash option (bluetooth) was worth having a play with.

after a bit of googling, found the samsung galaxy tab 3 8" was the best fit for physical size whilst maximising the screen size in the available space (and also dirt cheap second hand on scumtree). the lotus/vx binnacle makes this kind of thing p*ss easy too... the used tablet i got came with a shitty case/wallet thing, which i removed the plastic click-in holder part from, epoxied some aluminium box section to the back of it (as a spacer basically) and stuck some 3M self adhesive velcro to both the binnacle and the tablet mount. tough as nails, and not coming out in a hurry (does, in fact, not come out in a hurry - levering/peeling the velcro out in the available space is pretty tough, so once in, its pretty much staying in till the one day youre determined to take it out). i know nothing about android tabs, but the possibilities to get it running semi autonomously seem pretty good too: https://wiki.autospo...blet_Automation need to get my nerd hat on though, and maybe learn something to implement that. 

these pics are some random lap timing screen of the race capture, but you can obviously also run OBD dash gauges, or literally any of the 100's of OBD based gauge apps. pretty neat and simply really, and very happy with it :)

IMG_1567.JPG

Hah, I did almost exactly the same with my RaceCapture Pro, an additional Analogue->CAN converter for some additional sensors and their GoPro controller a few years back. Though I cut a slot in the top of a sacrificial binnacle and just slid the Amazon Fire 8" into it in front of the OE cluster. Worked pretty well but the reflections from the glossy screen drove me nuts and then if you wore sunglasses (was a sunny run to Zandvoort initially) the polarisation meant the screen was almost blank. Still got all of the stuff sat in a box, never used since, somewhere in the study after that abortive trip. :s

#1152 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:05 AM

Matt screen protector?

#1153 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Probably less of an issue with a hardtop or any roof on the car anyway and at the very least it would have helped, if not sorted it. Given it was only really a quick lash up and more of a proof of concept and I've probably only driven the car once since in the intervening years, I never invested any further time or effort in it.

I do hate glossy screens though. Bane of my life. 

#1154 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

Techie! back from the dead! great to see you on here again.

#1155 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:42 AM

Couple of work/kid/wife free hours. Had a crack at getting the diffuser bock shaped up. Max outlet angle now 28deg

Curves need a little fine tuning, and the sides are going to need some creative 3D thinking, but all in all happy with the form :)

IMG_4208.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4216.JPG

#1156 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:55 PM

a couple of simple 2D bluff body CFDs of the diffuser profile, run without and with a wing. run at Re 25,000 mostly for smooth visualisation of the interaction between the two flows.

without wing:

with wing:

IMG_4390.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG

Will be skinned in 2mm poly sheeting, then gelcoat and CF Twill.

For those interested in dimensions, total length of the diffuser is 1200mm, width tapers from the inlet at 1200mm, to the rear outlet around 800mm. a convex diffuser due to solid obstacles, the slope reads 2, 8, 16 and 28deg measured in 25% straps along the length.

#1157 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:54 PM

finished the wooden buck, and started the tedious job of cutting the poly sheeting to fit

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

now onto plain cosmetics!

Do i profile the diffuser so that it follows the curves of the body, or leave it sharp and squared off? Functionally there’s 4/5ths of fcuk all difference.

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

a bit of 3D

#1158 Doctor Ed

Doctor Ed

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:48 PM

tough crowd :huh:

IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4950.JPG

#1159 Tonie Pettersson

Tonie Pettersson

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:09 AM

Really amazed of the work and effort you´re putting in. So impressed thumbsup.

#1160 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

Sharp and angled is more 'race car' as the kids put it. 

I think you should profile it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users