• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

Impressive. A bit more revs and it would be perfect for track use.

(Should be a few pounds lighter than an SC-VX... :rolleyes: )

How much rpm can you safely do with that 2.4 crank throw?

#22 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

Very good figures particularly from NHM who's rollers read low if anything. Probably 290bhp at CMS with the fixed bracket. Glad you didn't have to hide after this RR session 😂

#23 gertje

gertje

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

Witch set up is this? And the software?

Edited by gertje, 17 February 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#24 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

2.4 inlet manifold and a 65mm throttlebody :tt:  

#25 gertje

gertje

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

Why i have only 185hp? And 213 torqeu

Edited by gertje, 17 February 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#26 techieboy

techieboy

Supercharger of Doom

• 22,914 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

2.4 inlet manifold and a 65mm throttlebody :tt:  

Well, it was about 10 years ago. Evolved just a little bit since then. :lol:

#27 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

http://z22se.co.uk/t...0-project.2994/

#28 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Sounds like that bracket problem could be what the saab people all have as many of us cant get past 6900?

Martin S

ps Email sent Neil

Is that the bracket for the external trigger wheel? If so, I did some tests with a, home made, external trigger wheel on a rig using an electric motor to drive itl. Did that to have a look at the signal coming from the crank sensor. Idea was to emulate the 7:1 wheel using the Saab 60:2. Long story short, even at the 3,600 RPM my electric motor could generate, there's a lot of vibration introduced by any unbalance in the external trigger wheel. As it's mounted on the crank pulley and that pulley is designed as a harmonic damper, I got a bit worried about that. It also seems that the German tuner who sells these external trigger wheels balances it on the pulley, as you have to send in your pulley for them to mount it. Seems like a good idea to me. From a sensor signal perspective, there should not really be an issue. At higher RPM, the signal gets much stronger. Then again it's very easy to introduce a couple of degrees error if the bracket is not absolutely true (both in position and angle of the sensor with regards to the trigger wheel)

disclaimer: as usual I have no idea if this information has any practical value  

#29 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

That's it's annual trip out then ;)

I'll catch you in 2017 Neil :P

#30 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:17 PM

The engine started life as a Saab B207 2.0 turbo. It is now a 2.5 litre throttle bodied NA :D

It has been sleeved and rebored to 90mm, the crank was a brand new LE5 (2.4) item from the states, 90mm pistons were custom made by JE Pistons, the bottom end was zero balanced, oil pump has GM Racing gears, balancer shafts + chain + mechanical water pump deleted, cylinder head has been ported quite considerably and also port matched to the throttle bodies inlet manifold, Alfa 2.2 exhaust gasket, GM Racing +0.5mm valves, Supertech double valve springs, CatCams 286 camshafts - vernied to spec sheet, electric coolant pumps, 4-2-1 equal length exhaust manifold (one metre long), looped 2.5" exhaust system using a modified Piper backbox and not forgetting the Webcon throttle bodies :wub:

So not only does it have good power, it also sounds fantastic :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

#31 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

Vocky Do you use the Supertech now rather than the GM racing valve springs? Very jealous of this engine. Good to see an NA engine that would give a stage 3 SC a run for its money especially when mated to the Alfa 6 speed box👍👍👍

#32 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

yes, the gearbox has some really nice ratios

#33 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:26 PM

Is Neil still running the 6 speed Alfa? I loose track of what engine/box setup he has.

Some very nice results though, hopefully you will take the thing out and get it dirty!

#34 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, miss match though it's not all Alfa ;)

#35 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:05 AM

How much rpm can you safely do with that 2.4 crank throw?

safe limit is 7525 rpm

Do you use the Supertech now rather than the GM racing valve springs?  

The dbilas are stronger than standard and quite cheap (£140 or so), so they get used 90% of the time. The Supertech kits look identical to the GM Racing kits :ninja:

#36 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, miss match though it's not all Alfa ;)

6th gear is from a corsa vxr, otherwise it's all Alfa M32 thumbsup

#37 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

Sounds like that bracket problem could be what the saab people all have as many of us cant get past 6900?

Is that the bracket for the external trigger wheel? If so, I did some tests with a, home made, external trigger wheel on a rig using an electric motor to drive itl. Did that to have a look at the signal coming from the crank sensor. Idea was to emulate the 7:1 wheel using the Saab 60:2. Long story short, even at the 3,600 RPM my electric motor could generate, there's a lot of vibration introduced by any unbalance in the external trigger wheel. As it's mounted on the crank pulley and that pulley is designed as a harmonic damper, I got a bit worried about that. It also seems that the German tuner who sells these external trigger wheels balances it on the pulley, as you have to send in your pulley for them to mount it. Seems like a good idea to me. From a sensor signal perspective, there should not really be an issue. At higher RPM, the signal gets much stronger. Then again it's very easy to introduce a couple of degrees error if the bracket is not absolutely true (both in position and angle of the sensor with regards to the trigger wheel)

The Webcon throttle bodies kit uses a totally different set up to the z22se, the crank sensor is at the bottom (6 'O' clock). Because I have a Denso alternator I had to make a new bracket to clear the drivebelt, this bracket has been vibratring and it eventually cracked causing severe vibration and a loss of crank signal at 6900 rpm. Once I have made a new bracket the engine will rev to the rev limiter 7650. Previously it has been fine to 7900rpm - with zero issues. I do however use a solid RK Sport alloy crank pulley.

The z22se external trigger wheels are at roughly 11 'O' clock and have a 10mm thick rock solid mount. It might be possible that the crank pulley is causing the issue, the only way to prove this would be to use a solid crank pulley and see if the issue is resolved.

Either way I will never touch a 2.0 Saab engine again, they have been nothing but hassle. The best option for the B207 is to convert it to a 2.2 with a z22se crank, Eagle steel rods and forged pistons. All of the 2.2 conversions have been fine.  

#38 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

Either way I will never touch a 2.0 Saab engine again, they have been nothing but hassle. The best option for the B207 is to convert it to a 2.2 with a z22se crank, Eagle steel rods and forged pistons. All of the 2.2 conversions have been fine.   Yep I can confirm my 2.2 has been brilliant.

#39 Raptor

Raptor

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:24 AM

Either way I will never touch a 2.0 Saab engine again, they have been nothing but hassle. The best option for the B207 is to convert it to a 2.2 with a z22se crank, Eagle steel rods and forged pistons. All of the 2.2 conversions have been fine.  

What sort of power/torque would this conversion net with the webcon gear?

#40 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:37 AM

Nothing wrong with 2.0 Ecotecs here and running strong and trouble free...  :happy: (should be, It's almost the exact same engine and used to impressive HP level in the US.)

Issues we had here were a very smokey 2.2 that had Wiseco pistons. A 2.2 with worn crankshaft/rod bearings. And a really tired 2.2 that just gave up after quite some track use.

ps; look up "crankshaft balancer"... Mounting a solid crank pulley is not always a clever idea. (Alloy version even less. :sleep:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users