• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#61 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

I think the answer is quite simple.

A 50cc scooter can travel at around 30 mph give or take. A (very) fit cyclist can hit those speeds, even a fair bit faster downhill.

To ride one you need training, a licence and insurance. The other you can just jump on one day and go for it on any major A road you fancy with no clue of how to be safe.

I think the time has come to make some of licencing for cyclists compulsory. If; once you pass, you jump a red light its 3 points and a fine. Simple!

Insurance would obviously a touchy subject but if governed well shouldn't cost more than £20/30 a year, if you as a cyclist injure someone, or damage someone's property i.e. lash out and kick a car you will have liability cover for the third party to claim from. These policies often cover theft from anywhere too.

#62 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

Can of worms maybe but I think part of your car driving test should be a few mile on a bike across a busy town then motorists have some idea what it's like and maybe more thoughtful to cyclists. Obviously some cyclists are dicks but also a lot of motorists run with the motto " save a few seconds on your journey and cut up a cyclist 😂 Don't forget every cyclist you see is one less fecking car on the road 👍😄 chill out, sit back and relax and let the cyclist have all the road he needs, what's a few seconds on your journey the poor fuckers probably knackered anyway 😂 After he has gone just gently press that pedal on the right and your back to the same place as before, your blood pressure hasn't gone up, the cyclist is safe and everyone's happy. I bet if the cyclist was a fit blonde in skimpy gear with big tits you'd give her all the room she needed 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

All the lovin patience and space giving in the world will not stop cyclists running red lights, not checking properly before they move lanes, shooting up left hand side of vehicles turning left and falling off on tram tracks.
You missed the point again👍😄 it won't but it may just stop a death or two and help keep your blood pressure down 😂  
  The point was if a cyclist does something that puts themselves in danger theres not a lot a driver can do about it. Never mind that they are breaking the law...  
A car driver can always do something. Be more aware of what a cyclist may do is a good start. They may have to suddenly swerve for a big pot hole, they maybe riding up the inside of a line of stopped cars, they maybe doing all sorts of stupid things but my point was so what. Your not going to change the dick heads and the best cyclists can still have problems so why get all hot and bothered about it ? I simply watch out for them and give them plenty of room. I'm probably more aware than you as I was riding down a road when a car shot straight out of a side road to cross the main road I was on and hit me full on doing 40 mph smashing me to bits and also my mate was just riding along when a car pulled out and hit him killing him. So I tend to give cyclists more attention than most 👍

#63 pezley

pezley

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

Can of worms maybe but I think part of your car driving test should be a few mile on a bike across a busy town then motorists have some idea what it's like and maybe more thoughtful to cyclists. Obviously some cyclists are dicks but also a lot of motorists run with the motto " save a few seconds on your journey and cut up a cyclist 😂 Don't forget every cyclist you see is one less fecking car on the road 👍😄 chill out, sit back and relax and let the cyclist have all the road he needs, what's a few seconds on your journey the poor fuckers probably knackered anyway 😂 After he has gone just gently press that pedal on the right and your back to the same place as before, your blood pressure hasn't gone up, the cyclist is safe and everyone's happy. I bet if the cyclist was a fit blonde in skimpy gear with big tits you'd give her all the room she needed 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

All the lovin patience and space giving in the world will not stop cyclists running red lights, not checking properly before they move lanes, shooting up left hand side of vehicles turning left and falling off on tram tracks.
You missed the point again👍😄 it won't but it may just stop a death or two and help keep your blood pressure down 😂  
  The point was if a cyclist does something that puts themselves in danger theres not a lot a driver can do about it. Never mind that they are breaking the law...  
A car driver can always do something. Be more aware of what a cyclist may do is a good start. They may have to suddenly swerve for a big pot hole, they maybe riding up the inside of a line of stopped cars, they maybe doing all sorts of stupid things but my point was so what. Your not going to change the dick heads and the best cyclists can still have problems so why get all hot and bothered about it ? I simply watch out for them and give them plenty of room. I'm probably more aware than you as I was riding down a road when a car shot straight out of a side road to cross the main road I was on and hit me full on doing 40 mph smashing me to bits and also my mate was just riding along when a car pulled out and hit him killing him. So I tend to give cyclists more attention than most 👍

Appalling driving what happened to you and absolutely a driver should always be considerate of a squishy human. Sucks you have  been through that your self and lost someone to awful driving.

I think this thread is heading in the direction of hatred to all cyclists when I don't feel the original post was to aim for that at all but to highlight the ones that are a safety risk,mainly to them selves with the added bonus of ruining someone elses life when they are the ones jumping lights, undertaking cars on left turns etc. 

It's a never winning argument, all the time someone can decide that they are above the highway code and willing to run red lights, all my vigilance and braking in the world can't stop a cyclist crashing into my stopped bonet and ruining their own life and mine just because they chose that they didn't want to slow down with the rest of the traffic and assume that the rest of the road will cater to them. Sympaphise all day long with cyclists and give them the same treatment I would someone on a horse but I have very little respect for the ones that risk their lives with stupidity and yet are the ones to kick cars, be aggressive etc and take no responsibilty

Edited by pezley, 10 August 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#64 ghand

ghand

Drunken lampposts only

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Interests:Whisky.Keeping reptiles.Cars.
    The odd bike ride, fell walk and weights
    Oh and more whisky

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

Appalling driving what happened to you and absolutely a driver should always be considerate of a squishy human. Sucks you have  been through that your self and lost someone to awful driving.   I think this thread is heading in the direction of hatred to all cyclists when I don't feel the original post was to aim for that at all but to highlight the ones that are a safety risk,mainly to them selves with the added bonus of ruining someone elses life when they are the ones jumping lights, undertaking cars on left turns etc.    It's a never winning argument, all the time someone can decide that they are above the highway code and willing to run red lights, all my vigilance and braking in the world can't stop a cyclist crashing into my stopped bonet and ruining their own life and mine just because they chose that they didn't want to slow down with the rest of the traffic and assume that the rest of the road will cater to them. Sympaphise all day long with cyclists and give them the same treatment I would someone on a horse but I have very little respect for the ones that risk their lives with stupidity and yet are the ones to kick cars, be aggressive etc and take no responsibilty
Agree, you get dickheads in cars and on bikes your just more vulnerable on a bike I suppose. It is mad some tossers on bikes do what they do when they are obviously heading for an injury or worse if they carry on. The problem is if they do damage to a car they can just ride off and you can't find the bastards unlike a car or motorbike with a reg plate. If you do with no insurance getting money to repair your car is a nightmare.

#65 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

1 on the pavement last night

3 this morning on the pavement and 3 in the road next to the blue cycle highway

1 of the ones in the road nearly got hit by a double decker and then turned round a gestured to the driver. I wish I  had a pic. priceless, the stupid cumshite was actually less then 3 meters (5 yeards for the old folk) from the cycle highway

#66 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

I think if I lived in the city I would think twice about cycling at all. For anyone who enjoys playing with traffic you must be crazy, part of my 30 miles last night took me out onto a fairly busy A road. It was my mistake after a wrong turn but there's no fun in cars doing 60mph, crap asphalt and big holes in the drain surrounds.

#67 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

I think the answer is quite simple.

A 50cc scooter can travel at around 30 mph give or take. A (very) fit cyclist can hit those speeds, even a fair bit faster downhill.

To ride one you need training, a licence and insurance. The other you can just jump on one day and go for it on any major A road you fancy with no clue of how to be safe.

I think the time has come to make some of licencing for cyclists compulsory. If; once you pass, you jump a red light its 3 points and a fine. Simple!

Insurance would obviously a touchy subject but if governed well shouldn't cost more than £20/30 a year, if you as a cyclist injure someone, or damage someone's property i.e. lash out and kick a car you will have liability cover for the third party to claim from. These policies often cover theft from anywhere too.

:yeahthat:

#68 LY_Scott

LY_Scott

Formerly LY055SCO

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,220 posts
  • Interests:Stock Car Racing. Sailing, Good Food and Drink! Celtic, Scottish National Team. Bands

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

the stupid cumshite

:lol: :lol:

#69 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:37 PM

So this afternoon I turn left at a roundabout in the centre of Woodbridge, nothing coming from the right. It's all downhill from here through the outskirts of the town & i am being good and keeping to the limit of 30 since there are a few pedestrian crossings along the route. After about 30 seconds look in the mirror to see Lycra clad maniac gaining on me and the sit right on the rear bumper pressing me to go faster, at one point he looked to overtake but then thought more about it since there was a left hand bend coming up. I was so tempted to hit the brakes so that I could see his face through my windscreen as he did his triple sumersalt with half twist over the top of the car. This is why these idiots need to be made to obtain insurance, no respect for common courtesy through towns.

#70 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

2 on the pavement last night and I lost count of the ones not in the cycle highway

3 this morning on the pavement and 1 woman with no helmet not in the cycle highway

#71 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:20 PM

Did you count the total number of cyclists you saw on your journey?

#72 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

Did you count the total number of cyclists you saw on your journey?

about 50

saw just as many cars and busses, they are not on the pavement or running reds. Its hard for them to drive like knobs when they are not moving I guess.

#73 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

they would get all sandy in there save the planet manginas if was walking in there cycle highway (that they did not pay for)

so I am entitled to get pissy that they are on the pavement

#74 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:12 PM

and if one more peddlecunt dings his fcuking bell when on the pavement I will kick him of his stupid contraption and shove the bull right up saddle blistered ass

#75 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

:lol:

#76 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

We could have a VX220 National for cyclists; just a thought ;)

#77 Ali87

Ali87

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:19 AM

I'll mind you of this next time we're stuck behind the bar stewards on the Bealach and they won't let us past :lol:

#78 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:36 AM

We could have a VX220 National for cyclists; just a thought ;)

.org list thumbsup

#79 Harry Hornet

Harry Hornet

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:35 PM

Today....Minding my own business walking through the narrow village lanes, car coming other way, all of a sudden I realised there was a Lycra Biker right on my hoofs, no noise, no bell, no im here and Im coming past

He attempted to squeeze past me and the car, my horse was having none of it

One swish of the tail, one rear leg and hoof kicked out, just missing him but enough to cause him to take poor evasive action

....Horse 1 Biker 0 as he hit the road

Biker ok, Bike wasnt...I just left him there..arsehole

#80 ianrm

ianrm

Joined - in the past 10.02.2004

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Football, Cars & Fish keeping.

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:37 PM

Bloody cyclists, only gone and won a load of medals in Rio! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users