2.4L 1320 Harrop Build

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

Suppose I better start my own thread like Lee has 😂 Anyway all the bits are ordered and I'm just waiting for them to be sent from the 🇺🇸 My engine was taken out the other weekend and is sitting waiting for the new engine. :Le9 gen 3 block 88mm under 20k miles will be getting a light hone :Je pistons 9.0:1 88mm :Ecotec Rods 4340 good for 900 whp :Stage 3 comp cams :2.4 crank with trigger wheel :6 paddle clutch with ttv lighten flywheel :Will be getting the crank, clutch, flywheel, Pistons and Rods balanced :Brand new chains, bearings, oil pump, water pump ect ect from a B207 complete engine :Z22se head with GM Racing Valves 0,5mm Oversized, Supertech Dual Valve Springs which has been ported both sides :cometic head gasket :Arp head bolts and flywheel bolts :Balancer delete :Baffled Saab sump :Ati pulley overdrive so means one pulley smaller :Aquamist kit :Spacer plate between inlet and charger for better air flow and 3rd jet for Meth :2.6 pulley along with Ati damper is a 2.5 roughly size pulley. Will have 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9 to fall back on : Obd tuner Pro Think that is it off the top of my head. Once I have all the bits it will be getting dropped off to vocky where he can work is magic. 😁

#2 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:11 PM

Sorry is this a wannabe Lee thread? :lol:

#3 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

Sorry is this a wannabe Lee thread? :lol:

Well does it count that I had the trigger wheel and crank before him 😂

#4 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

First part is here which I ordered last 😂Posted Image

Engine out
Posted Image

Forgot to add will also be fitting this a brand new f23 gear box 😍
Posted Image
Engine and box will be getting painted in special engine paint. The Ecu is on is also on its way back to me.

Edited by haggi961, 01 April 2017 - 10:19 PM.

#5 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 05:39 AM

Amazing how everyone is pushing the boundaries forward. Will this be the 3rd 500+ HP supercharged VX and certainly the first Vexlise!?

I still remember people like JG permanently bleating about how his NA was all anyone could want for a sports car. Of course even he finally wised up over time.

Best of luck, looking fwd to a race off between you and Lee! LOL

Edited by Nev, 02 April 2017 - 05:40 AM.

#6 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

Is that a standard ratio gearbox luke

#7 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

How did you get to find a brand new f23, that's good going

#8 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Yes hopefully 3rd vx to be over 500 but we will see what it can achieve 😁. Richards 500hp vx was 89mm pistions with standard 2.2 crank with the 86mm pistions stroke. Me and Lee are the same with 88mm pistons, 2.4 crank and 98mm pistion stroke but lee is 1900 harrop and I'm 1320 so it's a first vx to be done like this. Will be good to see which is the better option out of the chargers. Yep standard box as the 4.17 is to much of a pain after anything over 350 hp due to constant gear changes.

#9 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

like this one? http://www.ebay.co.u...8wAAOSwo4pYPYr5

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

Your spec appears to be significantly different again to both Lee and Richard. Good to see you guys all doing different things. Will the 1320 puff all the way to 500 BHP?

I find it amazing how a crank designed for 150 ft/lb copes with all the extra torque. Same with the Z20LET cranks too, somehow they all seem to cope. Maybe the OEMs add extra mass to them deliberately to help with smoothness and Euro 4/5. Anyway it's a bonus for us.

@Mods: Wouldn't this thread be better in the projects folder?

Edited by Nev, 02 April 2017 - 08:17 AM.

#11 NickB787

NickB787

Gone but not forgotten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

Fantastic

#12 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

What grind cams are you using? "Stage 3" says not much, or you must mean the ZZP LSJ stage 3? (Which are similar to the Comp Blower cam specs...)

#13 Raptor

Raptor

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

Oooh another engine modding project. Great stuff. Hope it goes well. What engine paint? I was considering por15 enamel if i have time

#14 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

I find it amazing how a crank designed for 150 ft/lb copes with all the extra torque. Same with the Z20LET cranks too, somehow they all seem to cope. Maybe the OEMs add extra mass to them deliberately to help with smoothness and Euro 4/5. Anyway it's a bonus for us.

eh? Emission control legislation has nothing to do with crankshaft design, and the extra mass will actually result in a weaker crank due to greater oscillating mass (thus flex).

Generally the bottom end is significantly over spec'ed to cope with worst case knock scenarios.

#15 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

What grind cams are you using? "Stage 3" says not much, or you must mean the ZZP LSJ stage 3? (Which are similar to the Comp Blower cam specs...)

stage 3 NA cams thumbsup

SC cams are too mild :P

#16 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

like this one? http://www.ebay.co.u...8wAAOSwo4pYPYr5

Guess NA only option, would of done this for my old tubby if you could still get them

#17 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

eh? Emission control legislation has nothing to do with crankshaft design, and the extra mass will actually result in a weaker crank due to greater oscillating mass (thus flex).

Generally the bottom end is significantly over spec'ed to cope with worst case knock scenarios.

I had a friend who had a Vauxhall V6 engine and he remarked one day that his flywheel had to have extra mass added to it to pass some emissions control (for the USA). Hence I was postulating adding mass to the crank would do similar.

I doubt adding mass to the main bearings would affect things adversely, more surface area for the shells and hence less pressure would presumably extend their life and help reduce the chance it snapped from excessive torque or knock.

Coping with bad knock sounds a very sensible reason for their seemingly huge strength.  

Edited by Nev, 02 April 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#18 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

stage 3 NA cams thumbsup   SC cams are too mild :P
Which set# /grind #?? Comp does not sell "stage" sets... ps; why the Z22SE head ported that is more sensitive to cracking than a sandcast B207 head?

#19 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

compcams 113400 thumbsup

http://www.compcams....?csid=1083&sb=2

z22se head only because it's already been ported. 

#20 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

Ok. 11.6mm lift, so take care of the needed valve spring clearance. (looking into various grinds for my own 2.3l Harrop engine...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users