leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

You will not be disapointed with it Luke be good to see what power yours will get should be more than you need 500+ with water meth  rallly  :o  :lol:

#22 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Going from the USA lads the l61/z22se head is good for 600 hp so it should be fine for what I'm after. Another reason I'm keeping my head is because my inlet temps have always been good compared to a lot vxs I've seen so I'm putting this down to the head porting ect

#23 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

I find it amazing how a crank designed for 150 ft/lb copes with all the extra torque. Same with the Z20LET cranks too, somehow they all seem to cope. Maybe the OEMs add extra mass to them deliberately to help with smoothness and Euro 4/5. Anyway it's a bonus for us.

eh? Emission control legislation has nothing to do with crankshaft design, and the extra mass will actually result in a weaker crank due to greater oscillating mass (thus flex).

Generally the bottom end is significantly over spec'ed to cope with worst case knock scenarios.

I had a friend who had a Vauxhall V6 engine and he remarked one day that his flywheel had to have extra mass added to it to pass some emissions control (for the USA). Hence I was postulating adding mass to the crank would do similar.

I doubt adding mass to the main bearings would affect things adversely, more surface area for the shells and hence less pressure would presumably extend their life and help reduce the chance it snapped from excessive torque or knock.

Coping with bad knock sounds a very sensible reason for their seemingly huge strength.

Sorry Nev, that still doesn't make any sense, particularly as the US spec engines will use a different flywheel as they're coupled to automatic transmissions.

L81 flywheel for automatic transmissions

Posted Image

L81 flywheel for manual

Posted Image

#24 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit and in shape, and pretty much anything to do with an engine.

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:58 PM

Oooh another engine modding project. Great stuff. Hope it goes well. What engine paint? I was considering por15 enamel if i have time

That's the very stuff I've bought in aluminium colour as it's had great reviews and seems very touch stuff.

#25 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

Your spec appears to be significantly different again to both Lee and Richard. Good to see you guys all doing different things. Will the 1320 puff all the way to 500 BHP?   I find it amazing how a crank designed for 150 ft/lb copes with all the extra torque. Same with the Z20LET cranks too, somehow they all seem to cope. Maybe the OEMs add extra mass to them deliberately to help with smoothness and Euro 4/5. Anyway it's a bonus for us.   @Mods: Wouldn't this thread be better in the projects folder?

I hope so Nev but will see what it can achieve with just water first then look to add methanol. For help with crank stress the Ati pulley will be getting fitted. The USA lads recommend this as a modification that's 100 percent needed if your going for big power http://www.atiracing...inks/pr/ecotec/

Edited by haggi961, 02 April 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#26 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:15 PM

Few bits came today
Posted Image

Also my Ecu is here
Posted Image

#27 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Thanks batman for getting me the block Quite alright sir haggi :lol: :lol:

#28 Stevie Dubyah

Stevie Dubyah

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Interests:Invasive Operations

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

You not been feeling the love, Joe?

These Harrop builds are really getting serious. I thought 260bhp was scary.  

#29 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Sorry it wasn't batman that got me it. I will thank Joe in person with a pint Of water 😃

#30 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
    getting p!!sed

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

Ati pulley that's good to no you have got one 😉

#31 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

Sorry it wasn't batman that got me it. I will thank Joe in person with a pint Of water 😃
You sure I didn't get you it? Let me have a quick look on Facebook messager.. oh yeah it was me! What is it with northerners not saying thanks. No manners up there

#32 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
    getting p!!sed

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

You sure I didn't get you it? Let me have a quick look on Facebook messager.. oh yeah it was me! What is it with northerners not saying thanks. No manners up there

Northern Monkeys lol

#33 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:54 PM

I will have a word with his mum next Wednesday. Right after I teach her some manners she's been a naughty girl ;) :lol:

Edited by The Batman, 20 April 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#34 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

I will have a word with his mum next Wednesday. Right after I teach her some manners she's been a naughty girl ;) :lol:

You seen my mum, i reckon she would make you her bitch 😂

#35 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

Anyway my crank has been balanced and polished along with balancing of the flywheey, clutch and trigger wheel. Block was dropped off today with Rods and pistions. Block is getting honed and skimmed and piston and Rods are getting balanced. Cams are the problem now and only thing stopping me from completing the build.

#36 Raptor

Raptor

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

Anyway my crank has been balanced and polished along with balancing of the flywheey, clutch and trigger wheel. Block was dropped off today with Rods and pistions. Block is getting honed and skimmed and piston and Rods are getting balanced. Cams are the problem now and only thing stopping me from completing the build.

Excellent - did you forget to thank Joe for that also?

#37 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

I would find him a pair of cams but if I did I wouldn't get thanked

#38 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Why honing instead of changing the liners? 

#39 haggi961

haggi961

1cobrav8 is my god

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

Because it's a le9 gen 3 block so strong enough for 600 hp straight out the factory.

#40 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

And the Gen 3 liners are cast-in, so no liner change possible...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users