• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ebo100

Ebo100

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:41 AM

After I started this thread; what seems like a life time ago :- http://www.vx220.org...-pump-problems/ and this one :-http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/142619-tech2-not-connecting-to-ecu/

The garage finally got the engine to start after being in there for nearly three months. The fault was traced to corrosion in the wiring loom and needed a replacement from ElizP987 so after fitting and "some other faults at the front" its back running.

I got called up on Thursday night to have a look and settle the bill (ouch) but on starting there was a new top end rumble. In total the car has been stood for about 18 months so I suspect I might have some internal corrosion on some rotating parts. Any ideas?

The garage suggested I change the water pump and belts as he thought it was the pump; but I know they were recently replaced before the car died in Dec 2015. would a new water pump deteriorate and ruin any bearings being stood?

My first job this morning is to change the oil as it is overdue and see if thing improve but I'm not too hopeful.

This car is really trying my patience; nothing like my previous N/A that was 100% reliable and might be up for sale soon if anyone is interested.

Edited by Ebo100, 19 August 2017 - 05:44 AM.

#2 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

Could be loads of things, either trust your mechanic or find another who you do (not easy I know!), as remotely diagnosing vague descriptions like "top end rumble" is hard.

BTW, the water pump is "low end" (ie low in the engine).

Sounds like your car is trying to make the usual escape back to a high entropy state!

Edited by Nev, 19 August 2017 - 07:03 AM.

#3 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:03 AM

hydraulic lifters i would say give it a drive and see if it stops 

#4 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

Camshaft sensor, check plug on top of the camcover for movement

#5 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:26 AM

hydraulic lifters i would say give it a drive and see if it stops 

agree it's probably the lifters, BUT ...

Just leave the engine ticking over until they go quiet, might take one hour but it works.

#6 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

You mention that the oil change is long overdue... by that you mean the car has been standing for 18 months and the oil / filter hasn't been changed?  I have heard of oil filters degrading when standing... and would suggest changing ASAP.

You positive that the strange top end rumble isn't a misfire... you checked plugs and coil pack etc?

Do lifters make a "rumble" or a "ticking"?

#7 Ebo100

Ebo100

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the replies, i'll do the oil change with a quality oil and see what happens. It's only been run in short bursts in the last couple of days so it might just need a good run out.

cheers

#8 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:44 AM

Do lifters make a "rumble" or a "ticking"?

I agree, they certainly don't rumble IME, they make a much more "clack clack clack" sound.

Also, you'd hope that any mechanic would be able to identify that if it is the problem anyway as it's so common...?

Edited by Nev, 19 August 2017 - 08:50 AM.

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

Change the belt as well

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vxt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users