Supercharged Vx's / Noise / Trackdays

supercharge tullett intake noise silencer induction

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Great Music, Love, Friends, Holidays, Great Wine, Cars, Beautiful places to drive Cars!!!

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

Hello Chaps,

Just wanted to test the waters and see what other Supercharged VX owners have experienced so far with:

Noise / Noise problems on UK Trackdays.

My poor old little shagged 2.2 with just the Viper induction and two-inch Milltek (plus Piper Manifold) is Very quiet on Noise Tests (89-90 static), so i'm not used to any Noise problems....

With Vocky's help, she's gonna be putting out a solid 300 with Forged bits, porting and Supercharger, so the situation will be quite different in a few months time!

Was going to go for a Full 3" Tullett System, plus the Necessary big Induction system / intake.

How are you Supercharged boys getting on with Trackday Noise Tests these days?

Is there much difference in noise between a 2.5 Exhaust and a 3.0?

Does the Supercharger whine / induction noise contribute much to the Driveby noise meter readings?

Can one attach a "dongle" to the exhaust tip to help reduce sound?

Etc etc etc etc.

Many Thanks in advance for any tips and advice    :wub:

#2 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:29 PM

The 3" is a lot louder then the 2.5" system. With 300 you could still use the 2.5" in my opinion

The magnaflow cat's that Tullett uses in both their 2.5 and 3" systems are known to fail after a while. They have the option to get a HJS one welded in if you ask, but that is much more expensive.

The backbox can be filled with either PTX (up to 800 degrees) or ZT-1 (up to 900 degrees).

Experience so far is that with high power setup's, this stuff is blown out quite fast. 

Make sure to mention they weld in another entry for a wideband when you order one.

I run the 2.5" system with my 335hp harrop.  

Edited by smiley, 31 March 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#3 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

Don’t bother with 3”. I’m now running around 290 (confident I can get 300 with some mapping) with 2.5” Larini decat, Piper mani, standard turbo back box and a Saab airbox. Vastly reduced SC whine will be no problem on drive bys and can’t see any problems with static either. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:33 PM

Forget the 3" Tullet. It's LOUD and not necessary at all for ~300Hp.

To quieten things down on track;

- Use an enclosed airbox with decent trumpeted intake tube.

- Fit a good quality (and big diameter) sportkat in your downpipe, as the standard Tullet ones tend to come loose with the SC power. (as Smiley said) These help with noise and seem to dampen the pulses for the muffler...

- The Tullett double endpipes are like a trumpet. Replace by a simple straight (single) exit pipe, or an endtip that has some dampening material inside.

- Keep an eye on your stuffing material. There is the High temp stuff, but it looks like the material is simply blown out by the SC pulsing.

PS; we run ~350 Harrop Hp's with a 2.5" system like this. :happy:

Edited by Exmantaa, 31 March 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#5 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Great Music, Love, Friends, Holidays, Great Wine, Cars, Beautiful places to drive Cars!!!

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

Thanks very much chaps!!!

I want to do it "right" the first time, so looks like i need some bits....

Now where does one get a Saab Airbox?  Any particular Model?

#6 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

There is no way to do it right. Until someone designs a decent backbox we are confined to compromises. 

That said my 2.5 system is fine on UK track days. 

#7 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

As exmantaa mentions you can ask tullett to put in a single end tip, or ask them to internally block one of the end tips so it still looks oem.

They also sell db killers you can put on the tips yourself if needed.

If you are end up with back box filling that get's blown out:

you could try German filling: www.powersprint.info

They advise to wrap the perforated tube in the backbox with their SSF-HT steel whool (up to 1200 degrees) Then wrap the rest with their 1000 PLUS wadding (up to 1000 degrees) I have been running that since last years with a few trackdays done and the padding still in. Hopefuly after this year i can make a good conclusion if this stuff is worth the price and their vision on how to do this.

Edited by smiley, 01 April 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#8 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

The Plot Thickens......

#9 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:11 PM

Some run fine with either PTX or ZT-1.

It's a bit of a mistery what exactly breaks the wadding apart so it get's blown out.

As you see in the YouTube, it's still white, but shreaded into small pieces. Pulsing is the theory.

#10 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

The Plot Thickens......

​The opposite of what most wadding does..  

You could probably just get a standard turbo rear silencer and open that up, enlarge some of the inlet and internal pipework to equivalent 2.5" and remove some the internal baffling (a bit like the Pipo mod). Just don't go mental as presumably you will reduce the noise attenuating properties the larger you go..

#11 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

The NA and turbo silencer, as far as I can see, have two expansion chambers and one chamber that acts like a resonator. The efficiency (attenuation) of the expansion chambers is determined by the ratio between the inlet diameter and the chamber diameter and length. By increasing the inlet diameter, the expansion chamber simply becomes less efficient. In my opinion it would be better to sacrifice the resonator chamber and use that volume to increase the volume of the two expansion chambers.

The above makes simply modifying a turbo backbox less attractive. Might as well start with new design.

#12 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

Thanks very much chaps!!!

I want to do it "right" the first time, so looks like i need some bits....

Now where does one get a Saab Airbox?  Any particular Model?

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/132181659376

Modded by Johnnyboyhgt before fitting

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:26 PM

Pics of it fitted?

#14 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:15 PM

Not best pic but you get the ideaPosted Image

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

#15 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Acid!

Saab Airbox BOUGHT.

Would Love to see some more detailed Pics on how to position / install it in a VX.....

As for the Exhaust system, what happened to good ol' Milltek?

Were they quieter than the current Tulletts?

Presume a 2.5" Milltek full system (or backbox) with fresh baffling would do the trick?

#16 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

I believe the NA miltek (2") uses baffling, but the turbo one (2.25" or 2.5" not sure) uses absorption. The NA version was discontinued iirc.

#17 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:14 PM

Thanks guys!  (Smiley)

That Powersprint Steel Wool seems like a good solution.

How much of it do you need to do the job on a 2.5" Tullett back box?

Does it have to be installed when making the Exhaust up initially i guess?

It's for a SC car running 300hp mainly on Trackdays, so would i need the 1200 degree stuff, or 800 OK?

#18 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

My NA seemed to have got quieter on exhaust noise when I supercharged it.  Turn's out the induction noise is so much it just disguised the fact that the exhaust actually got louder.

Last measurement on a stage 2 SC with Larini cat back on it and a 200 cell sport cat is 101db... (to be fair was 98db as an NA...)  That restricts me from a lot of UK circuits.  But most of the really tight ones I'm not interested in anyway (Castle Coombe, Goodwood etc).

Edited by TheRealVXed, 03 April 2018 - 02:36 PM.

#19 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

Presume a 2.5" Milltek full system (or backbox) with fresh baffling would do the trick?

Got the Milltek turbo backbox on mine and on static tests its usually less than 90db which is quiet, but it does have the OE cat still in it. I've never had a problem at tracks until the last one at Goodwood where it tripped the drive by - think its all intake noise - I have a cone filter so can put an airbox on it to quieten it down.

#20 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

I wanted to make sure i would not need to order another batch, so got the 909721 steel wool, and the 909771 padding.

The steel wool i hade some left, and had quite some wadding left as now 40 to 50% of the backbox was filled with steelwool, so no that much room available for the wadding.

I got the highest grade out of frustration, as my ZT-1 got blown out on a single trackday and wanted the creme de la creme just to be sure.

And as i mentioned, we only 2 over here have it running since 2017. No idea if 800 is ok over the 1200. Your guess is a good as mine.

I read a few measurements of exhaust gas temp reaching 1000 just after the manifold. Not sure what is left of that near the back box.

Yes, it's easiest if allready in there.

I have no Idea how Tullett would respond to you sending them stuffing they do not ship themselves. Just ask them.

Edited by smiley, 03 April 2018 - 03:31 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharge, tullett, intake, noise, silencer, induction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users