exhaust manifold leak noise

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hekke

Hekke

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:15 PM

My Speedster 2.2 (NA) has been having this noise since this summer. It occurs when motor is cold, or warm and just being off for only 15 minutes. Sound goes away after few minutes.

Sound was recorded from the trunk. The noise in question is at 25s and onwards.

Is it a leaking exhaust manifold? Cracked maybe?

Edited by Hekke, 18 November 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#2 peteslag

peteslag

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:real ale, food, real ale

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

"This video is private"

I think this means that you need to put the privacy settings to public.

#3 Hekke

Hekke

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:37 PM

Yes, I accidentally selected private instead of unlisted. Thanks. Should work now.

#4 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

When mine was cracked it would seal with heat within a few seconds of starting. Easy to check, take the heat shielding off and have a look. They normally crack between the head pipes, mine was in between the two pairs and fairly large. Like I said, easy to check.

#5 P11 COV

P11 COV

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Music, God, Family. Holidays.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

could be a dodgy manifold bolt. thats what mine was recently. mine was loud from cold for about 10 minutes and theen it sealed. the thread on the block had gone.

To be honest its hard to tell from your video. Just sound like you have a rasonably fruity  sounding exhaust.

Edited by P11 COV, 18 November 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#6 Anarchy

Anarchy

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

When mine had a crack I think it was opposite to that, ticking/hissing at idle but barely noticeable when driven.

Germany looks nice.

#7 Hekke

Hekke

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:44 PM

When mine was cracked it would seal with heat within a few seconds of starting. Easy to check, take the heat shielding off and have a look. They normally crack between the head pipes, mine was in between the two pairs and fairly large. Like I said, easy to check.

The heat shield came loose more easily than I had thought. From tis I got the impression that removal of 3..6 bolts is required, of which only 2 are easy to access with clam on. But it turned out that only the 2 easy bolts (topmost) keep the heat shield in place. I was able to get a good look at the exhaust manifold in just 5 minutes and with only one finger hurting like hell...

There is a "nice" crack there, time for a new exhaust manifold.

Attached Files

Edited by Hekke, 18 November 2014 - 11:55 PM.

#8 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

you can fit a standard exhaust manifold without removing the rear clam, drop off the downpipe - cat section and work from inside the wheelarch.

It is tight, but possible  :ffs:

#9 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

99% sure my manifold is cracked as the noise is pretty loud and within a few seconds has almost gone and certainly by the time I've reversed off my drive it has gone.

Going to take the heat shield off tonight and have a look, if it's got a crack am I going to be ok for track days the next 2 weekends Rockingham/Hethel? I doubt I'm going to have time to get a replacement and fit it as I'm expecting lots of problems with studs snapping and turning a fairly simple job into a right pita (as everything seems to).

#10 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

Should be fine for a td or two. Mine was cracked for about a year I think before I got round to replacing it. Did the Asda day on it at least while it was cracked. 

#11 TazN

TazN

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Airsoft, American Football, Cars

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

Well got the top 2 bolts out as suggested above but there is now way I can pull the heat shield back far enough to see if there is a crack, I can get it back maybe 10mm the bolt that holds it at the bottom seems to be holding it in place very tightly, access is awkward and the bolt looks like it's sat in the north sea for a year so guess I will just have to wait till the clam can come off.

#12 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:18 PM

The lower bolt on mine looked the same. The heat shield had also corroded around it. In the end it cracked there and I could lift the cover out. Then I just stuck a washer on it to hold it on.

#13 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

If it's just a small noise and there is no risk of melting/fire then you can always ignore it. After all, it's just another noise.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exhaust manifold, leak, noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users