• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

Don't know how you cope with 3" exhaust, my 90db NA is loud enough as it is!

#22 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Great Music, Love, Friends, Holidays, Great Wine, Cars, Beautiful places to drive Cars!!!

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:58 PM

May i ask where one gets the "db killers"?

Does it involve drilling through the Tips (worth it i guess...)

Can't see any advertised on the Tullett Website.

If i go for a big Single Exit, do i still have the option to use the db killers?

Soz for so many questions, nearly there i think on this!

:beat:

#23 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:06 PM

No drilling. They clamp on.

Ask tullett if they can make one for a single tip.
(They are pretty restrictive, so only put it on when absolutely needed)

Posted Image

Keep asking questions.
Some spend years and years and shitloads of money trying various stuff. It's about time someone benefited from that.

Edited by smiley, 03 April 2018 - 10:10 PM.

#24 Tony H

Tony H

Lotus on Crack

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Serbian turbo-folk

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

Who makes those?

#25 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

I've got a thorny manifold and larini on my car and to be honest it's really really loud compared to other SC cars I've heard, but I've never been thrown off a TD yet. I think a lot depends on how they test, drive by or static etc.

#26 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:30 PM

Who makes those?

Tullett.  

#27 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Great Music, Love, Friends, Holidays, Great Wine, Cars, Beautiful places to drive Cars!!!

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Smiley!

They almost look like some sort of Chastity device.........   LOL     :dry:

So i guess these will be the "Bedford Autodrome Specials" then!!!

(And maybe a Thruxton Road Car Day....)

Have decided to go for the oem-style Twin exit pipes from Tullett, with one blanked off.

2.5" Full System, with the Best Baffling they can provide.

I've got the Saab Airbox now, so either that or an ITG.....

#28 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:05 PM

Tullet does not use baffels.

There is a perforated pipe going straight through.

Around that is where you put your stuffing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by smiley, 04 April 2018 - 06:09 PM.

#29 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:06 AM

Thanks Smiley!

How difficult is it to Remove / Access the Backbox to change stuffing on a VX (NA) Supercharged car?

Are the above Pics with the new, posh German Steel Wool Stuff?

Didn't expect it to be white!

Edited by WazzaVX220, 05 April 2018 - 10:09 AM.

#30 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

Also, does the internal pipe have to be sooooooooo perforated???   (excuse my ignorance).

If it was more closed then it wouldn't be able to "eat" the stuffing??

I guess it's a Heat dissipation issue.......

#31 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

Also, if not the Steel Wool, is that PTX or ZT-1 pictured?

Sozzzzzzzzzz

#32 Jocke_D

Jocke_D

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

Posted Image

Keep asking questions.
Some spend years and years and shitloads of money trying various stuff. It's about time someone benefited from that.

To meet the noise restrictions when I race supermoto we tried different "butt plugs". The one that was best was simply a pipe some 2mm thick and 7-9cm long that just barely fit into the exhuast to reduce the outlet diameter. This gave just enough less noise and also boosted midrange slightly. Top end power was not affected. This was for the full titanium Akrapovic exhaust.

This db killer looks extremely restrictive and another should be made/tested. In my mind if one need to use a killer that looks like this the exhaust is so way off from the start that it should not be used.

I guess it's about what philosophy every one follows. I think that the exhuast used should be built to meet the regs of where you intend to use the car (or bike). 

#33 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

How difficult is it to Remove / Access the Backbox to change stuffing on a VX (NA) Supercharged car?

Are the above Pics with the new, posh German Steel Wool Stuff?

From the bottom. First remove the diffuser plate.
Cat section out, then you can remove the backbox.
Backbox uses about 8 screws to undo the top part of it.
Then stuff in new filling, put the top back on, put the backbox in, then put the cat section back in.

Above pics are PTX.

All of them:
Posted Image

Edited by smiley, 05 April 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#34 alexb

alexb

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:54 AM

Posted Image

Keep asking questions.

To meet the noise restrictions when I race supermoto we tried different "butt plugs". The one that was best was simply a pipe some 2mm thick and 7-9cm long that just barely fit into the exhuast to reduce the outlet diameter. This gave just enough less noise and also boosted midrange slightly. Top end power was not affected. This was for the full titanium Akrapovic exhaust.

This db killer looks extremely restrictive and another should be made/tested. In my mind if one need to use a killer that looks like this the exhaust is so way off from the start that it should not be used.

I guess it's about what philosophy every one follows. I think that the exhuast used should be built to meet the regs of where you intend to use the car (or bike). 

You're absolutely spot on as far as the design of the exhaust should be correct from the beginning and dB killers only used in very specific cases. Issue is that for larger pipe diameter systems, there are no alternatives. The Tullett muffler is a very simple absorption design that depends on the holes in the perforated pipe to attenuate the pressure wave traveling through the system. About 99% of all 'sport' or 'race' or just after market mufflers use that same design with the same results. It's very flow efficient, but doesn't reduce noise very well. So you either buy a simple absorption muffler, and deal with issues of temperature and noise in some way or another, or you're on your own. Third alternative is to find some OEM muffler that has the right pipe diameter and fits or can be made to fit. None of these options are very attractive.

I got it in my head that I need a 3 inch system on my new engine and this is the one single thing that I not look forward to. For 2.5 inch systems it looks like the Tullett is borderline suitable and in that case I would go for something that is more or less proven. For 3 inch that design is just not going to cut it and you will have to look seriously at other designs. And accept the fact that you're on your own and mistakes can and will be made.

#35 Matt_182

Matt_182

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

I'm running a Miltek VXR decat system which got tested at Cadwell...102db! I'm exploring the bung/enclosed airbox option but ultimately I think a new exhaust is required.

#36 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

Cat helps filter noise also. Get a decent 100 cells HJS in place.

Easier for MOT and for track noise.

#37 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:08 PM

My catless exhaust suddenly went loud on Sunday took it of today and all the ptx has gone after 20 months will be trying the ptx over the next few days keeping the wire wool Will have to make the exhaust repackable as it's and pita to keep welding it up It's one tubular with a resonator chamber

#38 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

the new civic tyre r  turbo, runs > 300bhp , on just the usual jap 2" / 50mm exhaust

#39 WazzaVX220

WazzaVX220

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

Thanks Smiley,

I heard back from Chris (Tullett) today, and he is happy to fit whatever wadding we prefer.

(Obvs if something goes wrong with it, they take no responsibility)

Think i'll go for the 1200 degree stuff, just in case....

Do you think i could get away with ordering just the 1000 x 500 size padding?  (your order was 1000 x 1000)

How long is the backbox on these system anyways?

X

#40 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hi guys, I managed to get some time today to take my exhaust off, which was a bit of a ball ache! When I stripped it apart I was gutted to find out it was already packed and the packing was in good condition, yet it is so Fook in loud........ I'm still going to repack it and weld up the top tip but I'm still a bit stuck.... It has a decatted pipe, can anything be done with this to help quieten things up? Also can I put a butterfly valve in the exhaust tip similar to the porsche sports exhaust system, so at least I can drive my car out of my house without the neighbours getting woken up. Attached File  20180408_191957.jpg   137.84KB   10 downloadsAttached File  20180408_192303.jpg   137.71KB   10 downloadsAttached File  20180408_192059.jpg   144.82KB   10 downloads Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supercharge, tullett, intake, noise, silencer, induction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users