Photo

Why Are Prices Dipping This Year...and A Bit About Brexit

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:32 PM

It seems to be no matter what trade you are in right now it is quieter than normal and even my return from a importers meeting of all the countries there (25 of them) they were all saying the same thing about their economy. Time to stick together and spend well in the UK and support our UK dealers and suppliers.

Buying a Lotus does exactly that. The profit goes offshore, but the dealer is British, the suppliers are British, the people assembling them live in Britan, the transport is British and so on. 

Honestly though, that didn't enter my thought process, my other two cars were made in Germany. They were supplied by parts from all over the world. 

Given the current uncertain global trade rules/games, i'd much rather be part of a big block with some clout. Luckily we are until 2021. Upon which there will be another fudge to make it a bit longer. 

#22 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

A weak pound. Hmmm. Since the Brexit vote the pound has yo-yo'd a bit but is currently within 10% of it's value to the Euro. So, not a massive discount there to the Europeans who want to import one. The real issue in Euroworld is that the Eurozone itself is not in a great condition to be honest. You have the sloe rise of the "right" in politics in Eastern Europe, Italy, Germany etc and this is having a slow but sure destabilising issue on the Eurozone.  however, to really say that any of this is the reason for a small dip in values in VX's where say what 20-30 cars change hands in the UK/Europe a year is codswallop. B@llocks. Nonsense.

Some of the reasons have already been touched on above - some sellers got greedy / over egged the real condition (and therefore value) of their cars, some sellers had previously over-payed and wanted to recoup their losses; less buyers in the market for a near 20 year old car with dwindling parts supply and more potential issues to crop up.

The shift in new cars is to go for finance only, no ownership, options. Just look at the Mercedes and BMW adverts - a few grand down, a few hundred quid a month and a new car every 3 years, some with free insurance and other bits thrown in. It makes for a real compelling argument.

The VX and Elise are not the most comfortable or modern (in terms of comforts) cars. They attract a certain type of owner and in the case of the VX people just do not know about them, what makes them so good, why they should have one UNLESS they know someone who has one or have come across one maybe at a track day or a car meeting.

Also mentioned is the insurance and road tax costs, yes, they are now starting to rise quite a bit and if Jonny and his clams and stuff wasn't around most of these cars would be getting un-insurable as they would be written off with even minor clam damage, just like they were 10 years ago or more!

I do still think good cars will always sell, eventually!  mine is now I think a long term keeper. It will morph into a competent track car (I'll never be a competent track driver but will try) that can still be sensibly used on the road.  For the money, about £15-17k all in when I have finished (car purchase, Supercharged, harnesses/seats, respray, wheels etc) she'll be a fine toy for me.  probably worth around £12k if i decide to sell her, but she'll be bought by someone in the know, not a randomer on Autotrader i believe.

#23 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Given the current uncertain global trade rules/games, i'd much rather be part of a big block with some clout. Luckily we are until 2021. Upon which there will be another fudge to make it a bit longer. 

For how long do you think the EU will be a big block with some clout? It is starting to come apart from the seams as the seams are getting damaged from within. Already talk from the Eastern European and Italy contingents that migration will kill Shengen and freedom and of movement. Merkel is on the ropes and Germany is teetering at the top of the cliff looking down. The French, well, they are doing what they do best and shrugging their shoulders and resisting change and going on summer strikes.  The Greeks are well, nuff said. Italian economy is struggling.  Struggling to see where this big block is with some clout. if you think about it, the Eurozone economy was being driven by France, Germany, UK and Italy, supported by the Scandinavians, and all supporting the rest.

Maybe we just need a new EU - UK, Germany, France, and Italy with the Danish, Swedes and Norwegians. Bit like wiht the banks, a good EU and a toxic EU split apart to protect the good from the bad lol.....

#24 Di3sel

Di3sel

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

For how long do you think the EU will be a big block with some clout? It is starting to come apart from the seams as the seams are getting damaged from within. Already talk from the Eastern European and Italy contingents that migration will kill Shengen and freedom and of movement. Merkel is on the ropes and Germany is teetering at the top of the cliff looking down. The French, well, they are doing what they do best and shrugging their shoulders and resisting change and going on summer strikes.  The Greeks are well, nuff said. Italian economy is struggling.  Struggling to see where this big block is with some clout. if you think about it, the Eurozone economy was being driven by France, Germany, UK and Italy, supported by the Scandinavians, and all supporting the rest.

Maybe we just need a new EU - UK, Germany, France, and Italy with the Danish, Swedes and Norwegians. Bit like wiht the banks, a good EU and a toxic EU split apart to protect the good from the bad lol.....

Excellent xenophobic post. 

#25 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

Isnt that more or less how it started off all those decades ago (not really sure Italy should be considered). Letting in countries that have nothing to give but want it all was where it went wrong.

#26 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

Excellent xenophobic post. 

I dont think there is anything wrong with being xenophobic, which his post isnt, if its actually factual and accurate and he is on the money, why oh why the eu ever let in other member states that just suck the life out it with virtual nothing to give back i will never know! 

I would presume one of the motives of the EU making it so difficult for us to leave is to make an example of us so no one else tries.

Fiveoclock beat me to it ;)

Edited by Jetpilot, 25 June 2018 - 04:20 PM.

#27 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

Rubbish. Its not xenophobic. Its not xenophobic to be interested in the best interests of your own country. Xenophobia is a dislike of other people solely because of the country they come from, nothing wrong with having a dislike of a country as a whole that put in nothing and take out lots. 

Fed up with people thinking they can batter down an argument or position they don't like by shouting xenophobia/racism/sexism. Left wing rallies are full of them.

#28 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

Fed up with people thinking they can batter down an argument or position they don't like by shouting xenophobia/racism/sexism. Left wing rallies are full of them.

Personally i dont think its the people shouting thats the problem, its the absolute idiots who listen to them.......

Edited by Jetpilot, 25 June 2018 - 05:16 PM.

#29 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

Personally i dont think its the people shouting thats the problem, its the absolute idiots who listen to them.......

Too afraid of a soshul meeeeeedyar back lash

#30 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

If the Brexit vote was good for one thing it was crushing the rising UKIP following on the right.

#31 Jetpilot

Jetpilot

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:37 PM

Too afraid of a soshul meeeeeedyar back lash

Or worse, loosing votes ;)

#32 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

If the Brexit vote was good for one thing it was crushing the rising UKIP following on the right.

It didn't crush them, they were a one objective party and objective achieved they withered away. The right will still be there just not supporting Ukip

#33 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 07:33 PM

Couple of points regarding the trade the Euro at 114 at the moment is too high for the euro guys. They will sit and wait for 110 or 111. Also I think seaking to guys in the Eurozone they have their own set of issues when we come out. Theres a bit of a gap in the budget coming up and they are having their own arguments about what to do about it (never covered in our news). So the £ is not particularly weak or strong at the moment but I would expect a tank below 110 in March 19. 

The Brexit process was always going to cause a period of instability its impossible for it not to. We are 9 months away and still don't have the first idea what we are going to do with 80% of everything we produce. It's completely stupid and like it or not it is now starting to bite. It starts with cars then it's property. The geezer that's the builder...rainy day fund. Build it now because you will be quiet next year. 2019 will be a year for picking up cheap BTLs and probably a good few PCP audis and beemers that people have fallen behind with. 

Personally I don't think we will be looking at a 2008 level experience but it will be tough for sure. It will be most helpful if the Government could tell us what the feck is going on as there is no real need for any wobble in the economy. It's the period of not knowing what's going on that knocks confidence. 

All totally pointless. The man on the street that voted against having Polish neighbours will be the first one sacked when the company has to make savings. Perfect irony. Being out of Europe will make no difference at all to 99% of the public. As I posted at the time 2 years ago it was always just a case of choosing the position you want to be fcuked in. Being outside of the trading bloc will hurt us no doubt. All  these awesome new trade deals we are "free" to go negotiate will come to nothing better than we have now. Maybe the same but we have to issue 50000 work visas to Indians. The problem we have as a colonial ex power is that we forget that we are essentially just a little island and we no longer have the international clout we like to think we do. 

#34 g1977

g1977

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:57 PM

Seems like there are a lot of low mileage cars appearing of late..... but their seems to be so much variance in price it's probably confusing any potential buyers looking at adverts.

——Removed thinly veiled attempt at an advert.——

#35 JohnTurbo

JohnTurbo

SuperScruff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts
  • Interests:Performance cars!

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

I think this is just a readjustment from Lotus crazyness fever the last two years where the asking price of my beloved Exige S1 shot from high 20s to high 40s! The rarer S1 Elises followed and towed everything else behind it.

Now the cold reallity is that VXs have not appreciated, or depreciated at all in the last decade. - So we are back to business as normal. A thing I dont mind as eternally I fancy another but an avergae Turbo is worth 12 and an NA 8...thats just how it is, and how its always been except during 2017.

#36 Di3sel

Di3sel

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:49 PM

I think this is just a readjustment from Lotus crazyness fever the last two years where the asking price of my beloved Exige S1 shot from high 20s to high 40s! The rarer S1 Elises followed and towed everything else behind it.

Now the cold reallity is that VXs have not appreciated, or depreciated at all in the last decade. - So we are back to business as normal. A thing I dont mind as eternally I fancy another but an avergae Turbo is worth 12 and an NA 8...thats just how it is, and how its always been except during 2017.

Even last year there were some decently priced VXs. I remember a silver one from Scotland with loads of extras and an asking price of £11k. I bought mine in October for £12k. It's not perfect, but it's non-cat with sub-25k mileage at that point. As mentioned before, many sellers thought they can squeeze lots out of their VX, but in reality they were trying to sell them for ages.

#37 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:12 AM

It's worth pointing out that there is a degree of stagnation across all of the trade. Housing market is cooling too. This isn't just something within our sector.

The right cars are still moving we just sold a VXR a couple of weeks back for £25000 It's just taking longer than it used to. We also just sold the silver NA that was on pistonheads homepage 62k just ubder £11000 that sold for but typically for us the buyer had previiusly seen a "cheaper" car that needed lots of money spending.

Johnturbo has touched on sonething regarding S1 Exiges where there was some anomaly over the last 12 months where all of a sudden everyone decided they are 50 to 60k cars. It was pretty funny following some of the delusional threads. A couple have now had revised prices and sold for about 40k which is more realistic. There has been overpricing around certain models but an across the board correction is impossible really just down to lack of cars.

The fact is there are not many vx220s that are in super condition yes we have a small wobble on at the moment which by the end of this year I think it will be undeniable that there is a brexit effect especially if we still don't know what's happening.

When you think about the implications it's pretty serious. No company in the UK can make an investment decision right now nor can we make investments in Europe. There must be millions of purchase decisions on hold at the moment and I reckon we will see 2 quaters of negative growth this year and probably enter the transition period next year in recession.

#38 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

Looks like the bbc read this thread...
https://www.bbc.co.u...siness-44609003

#39 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:06 AM

Business can do no other that the moment. 

We just need to know what's going on! 

#40 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

Assuming Xenophobes are still allowed to post on here.

So international investment in UK Tech firms has doubled in the last year.

Inward investment is higher this period and trending up.

But wait, after spending huge in 2017 the UK car industry is imploding as they are not investing as high in 2018.

If only journalists actually understood what they wrote about we might be tempted to take them seriously.

Probably now get accused of racism or jobism against Journalists. Some people are just muppets. sh*t, there I go with muppetphobia....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users